p1nkmamba

Question about filing in Germany

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Guten Tag!

My fiance is a German citizen, but is currently working in Italy. I am assuming I will still place Frankfurt as the consulate on my I-129f form. However, will his mailing address in Italy be an issue? I am a little unsure of what to do here.

Thanks!

Timeline

How long is "currently"? If he is a resident and works there (present and mailing address are identical), he can surely have his interview in Italy. He would be able to choose English or Italian as the language of the interview.

If he's only there for another month or two and returns to Germany afterwards, he should have his interview in Frankfurt and you should write down his German address as a mailing address (present address would be the Italian one at first, but can easily be changed by calling USCIS).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. He has been in Italy since Oct 2013. His contract is until June, but can stay there until he is ready to come here. He said he prefers going to Frankfurt and his documents are in German, so we would have to get those translated if he was in Italy. I think we are more worried about the mailing of correspondence (Packet 3) and if the Frankfurt Embassy would mail it to Italy. He uses his parents' address, but he is never really in Berlin to get it, so that is a bit of inconvenince for him. He would be able to stay in Germany while waiting for his visa after the interview.

Timeline

You are facing a wait period of 3-6 months for the approval of the K-1 petition. If his contract ends in June, I would personally return to Germany afterwards, live with my parents and have the interview in Frankfurt. He won't get any mail form the consulate (packet 3) until his petition has been approved by USCIS, passed through NVC for a few days and then shipped to Frankfurt. So by the time this happens, his contract will have expired anyway. And as you already said, it would be a whole lot easier for him to have his interview in Frankfurt, so he won't need to have anything translated. Use his parents' address as his mailing/permanent address, the Italian one would just be the present address. In case his parents got any mail for him, they could scan and e-mail it to him, so he'd have a chance to respond in time, but I really, really doubt he would before June/July.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.