B Houthuijzen

US Citizen living abroad wants to move back with foreign spouse

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I've looked an numerous websites and read every documentation the USCIS has to offer but there is nothing there regarding my situation

I've lived abroad for the past 13 years and my spouse and I have decided to move to the USA. I know I need to start with the I-130 but even trying to fill the form out is an issue as there is no place for a local international phone number and I don't want to be denied because I didn't complete the form in correctly. Even trying to pay the fee to file is an issue as the USCIS does not accept credit card payments and my local consulate is not on the USCIS list and even though on the USCIS site it states if you live outside of USA the consulate can help with the payment they say they can't (or won't).

Has anyone else had a similar experience of not living in the USA when trying to bring a spouse over?

Thanks

Beth

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hi B Houthuijzen

Where are you located? Depending on your location, you may be able to file at the US Embassy in that Country (I read your post), but they have to have/know more info to assist you, that's what they're there for. Look at the US Embassy's website located in that country for information on Immigrant Visa (again, I find it kind of hard to believe they are not able to assist you), I'll look something up real quick and will try to comeback with more info.

Note: If you held a home address in the States it should be even better. I've been out of country for about 9 years and petition for my wife a few years back, but it was easy for me because I've always held my home address.

Best of Luck.

Kel

Edited by KelComman2

Filed: Timeline

Hi B Houthuijzen

Where are you located? Depending on your location, you may be able to file at the US Embassy in that Country (I read your post), but they have to have/know more info to assist you, that's what they're there for. Look at the US Embassy's website located in that country for information on Immigrant Visa (again, I find it kind of hard to believe they are not able to assist you), I'll look something up real quick and will try to comeback with more info.

Note: If you held a home address in the States it should be even better. I've been out of country for about 9 years and petition for my wife a few years back, but it was easy for me because I've always held my home address.

Best of Luck.

Kel

Hi Kel,

I live in The Netherlands and I have contacted the consulate and they have said they can not help me at all as everything has to be done through the USCIS. My son lives in the US and I use his address for mail and when recently in the US my spouse used the address for his travel visa.

I am trying to find out timeline as well because we will need to sell our house, etc. and get everything ready to move

Thanks again for your help

Beth

Filed: Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hi Beth,

If you have an address that's cool.

Here is the timeline for the Vermont Service Center for your category:

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative U.S. citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21

October 22, 2012

You can check the Service Center that Applies to you here by selecting it from the drop down list:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do;jsessionid=bacNiL4e1qcuG8wX0R6cu

It took me about 8 months to complete my wife's (that was in 2009).

Once the I-130 is approved and sent to the NVC, it should go downhill from there, meaning it should not take too long for the NVC to contact you to further process the case (about 2-4 weeks I think for them to contact you). In order to avoid delays at any stage during the process, ensure all documents are in order (forms filled out correctly, evidence and supporting documents provided) prior to sending them to USCIS and when ready, to the NVC.

Best of Luck.

Kel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You could use a US check from your son to pay. We used a US bank draft from a local Irish bank (my US citizen husband also lived abroad with me when we went through the visa process), so check if that is still an option.

If a phone number or address does not fit, you can hand write it in as opposed to type it, or add a blank piece of paper with the info (as you may need anyway for listing all travel to the USA etc, if you/ she travels a lot with the VWP).

Two things that often trip up couples living abroad:

- even if you only worked in Europe, a sUS citizen you need to file US tax return, and these will need to be shown during the visa process

- Unless you have a lot of assets to sponsor your wife with, you will need a US based co-sponsor, such as your son.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.