Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkGenefer

Best/Cheapest/Most convienent way to communicate

16 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Hello all, I am hoping to get some good suggestions as for the best ways as in cheapest ways to communcate with my fiance. My cell bill has gotten crazy. I have a .17 per minute plan on landline that too can add up fast. Skype is great but she has no computer so she uses internet cafe. Thinking of buying a mini ipad and then she will have to find wi fi to skype. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks all.

Mark

We use iPhones and iMessage.

She has a Globe prepaid SIM and subscribes to a 3G plan. It works pretty well. We did have Smart and it worked for about a month and then started having issues so we switched to Globe.

We also use an app called Pair (now called Couple) which is really cool. It lets you send video messages, audio messages, pictures, track dates, track todo list, and thumbkiss.

We will get wifi set-up at her house soon, so we can Skype without her having to go to cafe.

---

Another option I was considering but did do. Globe offers the option to add a US number to a SIM there, so you could call her on a US number. It's called Globe International DUO. It's $25 a month. I figure it would be better just to pay for wifi at her house, since it's around the same money.

Apple iPhones! Her bill would be $40 a month in the Philippines, FaceTime and iMessage are FREE! as long as you both have iPhones.

My wife never has to go to a cafe anymore :dance:

Yes! But, we haven't got facetime (or Skype) to work over 3G.

Hello all, I am hoping to get some good suggestions as for the best ways as in cheapest ways to communcate with my fiance. My cell bill has gotten crazy. I have a .17 per minute plan on landline that too can add up fast. Skype is great but she has no computer so she uses internet cafe. Thinking of buying a mini ipad and then she will have to find wi fi to skype. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks all.

Mark

Hi There,

She can get a Bayantel connection... about 30$ a month, it includes a landline and an internet connection. She can use a magicjack plug it (the version that you won't be needing a laptop). You can send it to her or bring one when you visit her.

for more info, please visit http://www.magicjack.com/

I am using it, and I can call any US landline, or mobile. And my fiance can call me anytime as well. Great help. NO monthly bills. With that, your partner can even give you a wake up call everyday :) or talk to your partner 24hours a day.

One suggestion I have is Globe Duo International! It will really help with your cell phone & landline bills!!! My bills were crazy a while back cuz I couldn't find anything cheap, and we talked on the phone all the time! But I LOVE Globe Duo! She has to have a Globe number though, that's the only thing. You can register online or she can register in the Philippines. It's $25/month, and her Globe # will be registered/connected to a US number. The US number is what you will be calling, and it will connect you straight to her cell. It's great because you can use any phone here in the US to call her US number....like when my cell phone was dead, I used my sister's cell or the landline, and didn't cost them a thing because it was calling a California number! :) Hope that helps! :)

Thanks all.

Mark

We use magic jack.. all you need is an internet connection.. you guys can talk over the phone anytime of the day, 24/7, just buy the device, and your fiance can call on your mobile phone (US-based) for free.. =) unlimited call :thumbs:

i think it's just 40$, calls valid for a year, after a year you can use the 5-year contract for 99.75$ i use smart broadband and i only pay 750 pesos/month

she can save a lot if she has her own computer

Edited by Irah

For sure the cheapest is just to get her an internet connection at her house. Even the cheap Globe Unlimited Wifi is only about $25 a month in Philippines. It's not super fast, but enough to Skype, Viber, Tango, Facetime, IChat, Magic Jack, etc.

We have the Vonage unlimited Philippines. It's not $25 though, $29.95 plus taxes, about $35 a month. But my wife uses is to call lots of her relatives in the Philippines, so it's a godsend!!! For sure get it once your fiancé is here.

But forget calling cards and cell phones, etc. Just get some sort of internet connection. If she has an iPhone, the app Viber is fantastic, my wife uses that all the time to connect to people back home too.

For sure the cheapest is just to get her an internet connection at her house. Even the cheap Globe Unlimited Wifi is only about $25 a month in Philippines. It's not super fast, but enough to Skype, Viber, Tango, Facetime, IChat, Magic Jack, etc.

We have the Vonage unlimited Philippines. It's not $25 though, $29.95 plus taxes, about $35 a month. But my wife uses is to call lots of her relatives in the Philippines, so it's a godsend!!! For sure get it once your fiancé is here.

But forget calling cards and cell phones, etc. Just get some sort of internet connection. If she has an iPhone, the app Viber is fantastic, my wife uses that all the time to connect to people back home too.

:thumbs:

Thanks all.

Mark

tell her to try register to globe SuperIdd 1,999 pesos or 50$ for 30 days....4 to 5 hours unlimited call a day...I've been using SUPERIDD for almost 14 months...just text SUPERIDD INFO to 8888.

hope it will help....

Skype, Google Talk are the cheapest and easiest if she has a computer. I bought my fiancee a $350 notebook there and had her buy a pre-paid Smartbro USB Internet. Globe has the Tatoo which works the same as Smartbro. She pays $20 a month for that. It works good. We do get cut off from time to time as they run off cell phone towers. If your fiancee has a Landline I suggest you getting Metro PCS Cell Phone Service. I dumped my Verizon and then ATT as their International rates are like you know outragious. I think for $10 a month Metro plan you can call Landlines in most country with no extra cost. I pay $5 a month just to text as my fiancee did not have a landline. There are many ways to communicate cheap nowadays.

Good luck

tell her to try register to globe SuperIdd 1,999 pesos or 50$ for 30 days....4 to 5 hours unlimited call a day...I've been using SUPERIDD for almost 14 months...just text SUPERIDD INFO to 8888.

hope it will help....

Wish I had known this.. Good stuff but LATE for me :bonk::rofl:

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.