Arvin8

how can i get my cerfiticate of citizenship number?

17 posts in this topic

A copy of a valid US passport can always be used used in lieu of any other proof of citizenship, as long as it's not expired and has an original validity period of at least 5 years. Be sure you copy every page, including the front and back cover.

You could get a certificate of citizenship if you like, but it's not needed if you have a US passport.

You automatically became a citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. Your citizenship was derived from your parents, so you check the box labeled "Parents" in section 10 of the I-129F. Where it says "Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your name?" you check "No". In the box below that, write "n/a".

The I-134 is a little more complicated because it doesn't cover this particular scenario, and presumes you'll have a certificate of citizenship if your citizenship was derived from your parents. Best to follow option "c", and attach a letter explaining that your citizenship was derived from your parents under the CCA, and that you don't have a certificate of citizenship. Again, a copy of your passport will prove your citizenship.

hello thanks for the reply.

the person i talked to on the uscis said i should put N/A under 1b because i became a citizen through my parents. should i still make a letter?

regarding the letter if i do wright one. which address should i put? the us embassy or the philippine embassy?

Edited by Arvin8

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hello thanks for the reply.

the person i talked to on the uscis said i should put N/A under 1b because i became a citizen through my parents. should i still make a letter?

regarding the letter if i do wright one. which address should i put? the us embassy or the philippine embassy?

With all due respect to the hardworking people at USCIS, the customer service reps at USCIS often don't know their a$$ from from their elbow. In addition, the I-134 is sent to the consulate - not USCIS. Not only are they completely different departments of the US government, each consulate can make it's own policies regarding the "public charge" determination for a K visa.

"N/A" means "not applicable". If you write "N/A" on line 1b then you are saying that citizenship through parents or marriage is not applicable to you, which is false. If you insist on using line 1b then you could write "none". That would imply that you derived your citizenship from your parents or marriage, but that you don't have a certificate of citizenship number. Hopefully, they would see the copy of your passport in your petition package, assume you're a US citizen, and not care how you actually became a citizen. Using option 1c gives you an opportunity to explain it to them.

You don't need to write a letter, and you don't need to address it to anyone. You just write a brief statement explaining how you obtained your US citizenship, sign it, and attach it to the I-134.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.