antda

What to wear to citizenship interview and oath ceremony?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Wear something "nice". Whatever you have that isn't jeans and a t-shirt should be fine. A nice dress, or slacks and a blouse. If you want to wear something distinctly Canadian, you could wear a tuque, or red underpants. Your pin is fine as well. I think Kathyrn41 wore one of those pins. Are you sure you want to take your baby? I read another person's review in the Citizenship forum and they recommended not to. It was a long, long day, and this person said if you had someone to look after your baby, then you should look into this. One person almost missed their name being called because they were gone looking after their baby during the ceremony. Anyway, don't over think this. Just wear what you would say at a job interview or something.

Good grief - how long is it? I was thinking I'd arrive, I'd be there an hour or 2 at most - please tell me they don't drag you through hours of stupidness???

I will just get my citizenship because it makes sense, not because I'm dying to be American in particular

Nvrmind - just found a nice review from Flames at the office I'll be going to. I don't plan to bring family or friends or anything, I guess I don't particularly think of it as a big deal....it's just something a i need to get done to make life easier

Flames.....

At the Fairfax VA office, there was seating for 100 applicants, but not a lot for family! Family were seated first (think some had to stay out in hallway) while we were processed downstairs! They didnt ask what countries we were from, the USCIS lady gave a brief statement on the do's don't with ur Naturalization certificate, passport info, naturalization if ur kids are under 18. Mentioned over 100 countries were represented in todays ceremony! Then the Judge came in, we did what had to be done and then 1 by 1, they called you up to get ur certificate. They allowed time for family to take pics, and the stressed and stressed they would be available for pics after the ceremony. She said USCIS has made you wait during this process,so now its our turn to wait,lol

I arrived at 0835, processing started around 0900, seated (upstairs) shortly after, ceremony started around 1010, and out the door at 1035! So approx 2 hours from start to finish at Fairfax VA office. I would guess there were about 70-80 new citizens. Lots of waiting around, so bring something to read.

Most of the time is spent waiting, so I say again, bring a book to read! Your journey begins on the 1st floor. They will tel lyou when to line up to hand in your paperwork. So fil that 1 piece of paper out. As well they take ur greencard! After that you go upstairs for the ceremony. Think I stated the rest in that thread. $5 to park, OR you can walk over from the orange line metro, its super close. If u walked out from the metro, it would be at ur "two o clock" across from the metro parking lot!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.