nakhan1

medicare and medicaid eligibility for gree card holders

5 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,

I have a question very important to making life changing decisions. I am a US citizen. My Parents (Age 76 and 68 now) if they come to live with me on a green card, willl they be eligible for Medicare and/or medicaid?

This is the single most important reason why my parents went back to Pakistan after living with me for a year in 2000. They both had deteriorating health and both were found not eligible for any kind of public medical aid/insurance.

Great appreciate your answer.

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

I have a question very important to making life changing decisions. I am a US citizen. My Parents (Age 76 and 68 now) if they come to live with me on a green card, willl they be eligible for Medicare and/or medicaid?

This is the single most important reason why my parents went back to Pakistan after living with me for a year in 2000. They both had deteriorating health and both were found not eligible for any kind of public medical aid/insurance.

They need to have permanant resident status for 5 years before they are eligible to buy Medicare Part A and B. Can't buy Part B without buying Part A.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801131

HI 00801.131 Eligibility for Premium-HI

Part A is $393.00 per month and Part B is $88.50 a month for 2006.

States can buy-in for low income people to pay their Medicare premiums and co-pays, but not sure how the I-864 or not being citizens will affect their eligiblity. Need to contact state Medicaid office about that.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801139

HI 00801.139 QMB Provisions

If eligible for buy-in, also eligble for Medicare Part D subsidy. Otherwise, will need to sign up for Medicare Part D and pay that premium if they want prescription coverage.

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0603010035

HI 03010.035 General Information about the Subsidy Application

The Medicaid program is state administered, so you will need to contact their state of residence Medicaid office. I would assume the I-864 will have some affect on their eligiblity for Medicaid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm afraid that if they left because they couldn't get healthcare that situation hasn't changed... if they come back they won't be eligible for any kind of assistance in that department until they've been here about seven years, which at their age is a long long time. :(

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

As far as I know, LPR's are entitled to Medicaid. To find more information, click on this link >http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEligibility/05_Immigrants.asp#TopOfPage

"Q4. Which immigrants are affected by the five-year bar?

The five-year bar only applies to qualified aliens who entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996. In addition, several categories of qualified aliens are exempt from the bar, regardless of their date of entry into the country. (The exemptions are discussed in question 5.)

As a practical matter, the following qualified aliens are subject to the five-year bar to eligibility for both Medicaid and SCHIP (1) if the immigrant entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996 and (2) unless the immigrant qualifies for one of the exemptions discussed in question 5:

Lawful permanent residents (LPRs);

Aliens granted parole for at least one year;

Battered aliens. In addition, the following qualified (...)"

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Filed: Timeline
As far as I know, LPR's are entitled to Medicaid. To find more information, click on this link >http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEligibility/05_Immigrants.asp#TopOfPage

"Q4. Which immigrants are affected by the five-year bar?

The five-year bar only applies to qualified aliens who entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996. In addition, several categories of qualified aliens are exempt from the bar, regardless of their date of entry into the country. (The exemptions are discussed in question 5.)

As a practical matter, the following qualified aliens are subject to the five-year bar to eligibility for both Medicaid and SCHIP (1) if the immigrant entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996 and (2) unless the immigrant qualifies for one of the exemptions discussed in question 5:

? Lawful permanent residents (LPRs);

? Aliens granted parole for at least one year;

? Battered aliens. In addition, the following qualified (...)"

As I thought the I-864 is going to come into play, since Medicaid is a low income needs based program

Finally, in determining the eligibility of some immigrants, the income and resources of the immigrant's sponsor must be counted in determining the immigrant's eligibility.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEligibility...iveYearBar3.pdf

Q4. Which immigrants are affected by the five-year bar?

The five-year bar only applies to qualified aliens who entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996. In addition, several categories of qualified aliens are exempt from the bar, regardless of their date of entry into the country. (The exemptions are discussed in question 5.) As a practical matter, the following qualified aliens are subject to the five-year bar to eligibility for both Medicaid and SCHIP (1) if the immigrant entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996 and (2) unless the immigrant qualifies for one of the exemptions discussed in question 5:

-- Lawful permanent residents (LPRs);

-- Aliens granted parole for at least one year;

-- Battered aliens.

In addition, the following qualified aliens are subject to the five-year bar to eligibility for separate state programs under SCHIP, unless the immigrant qualifies for one of the exemptions discussed in question 5:

-- Members of a Federally-recognized Indian tribe; and

-- American Indians born in Canada to whom §289 of the INA applies.

Q5. Which immigrants are exempt from application of the five-year bar?

The following qualified aliens are exempt from the five-year bar to eligibility for both Medicaid and SCHIP:1

-- Refugees;

-- Asylees;

-- Cuban and Haitian Entrants;

-- Victims of a severe form of trafficking;

-- Aliens whose deportation is being withheld

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.