AFQuaid

Banks, Moving House, Packing!

7 posts in this topic

Hiya Everyone,

Looks like it's time to step finally after 8 months into the Moving To America forums! We're currently in the process of moving money, house and packing

So here's whats happened so far. Good & Bad.

Ok so we used Western Union to transfer funds bit by bit to their local in Stockton, CA. My dad sent 1 to my future mother in law and another to my fiance. Big confusion over that, I wasn't able to go do it myself and I had forgotten to tell him whos name to put it in. So he just writes Judys. The thing is they're moving house right now to accomidate 2 wheelchairs but the place isn't ready yet and it was suppost to be Sept 1st. So obviously there they were thinking they're moving in there so put in their 30 day notice which ran out on the 1st! So no where to go they had to ask Andys brother Jon & his wife if they both could stay for a "few days." They're still staying with them Sept 8th cos the place isn't ready still. The owners suppost to give them some sort of refund but he's not saying howmuch. Because of all the "find SOMEWHERE ANYWHERE" to live issue the money sent to Judy couldn't get picked up for 2 weeks. Andy was worried and instructed me to send the rest in his name so he could cos Judys got her handsful. So we sent the next transfer and Andy picked it up just fine at Safeway in Stockton. Then Judy goes the same day for her lot and this asian lady plain out refuses to process the transfer because it's from England? We all still don't understand that. So ontop of everything Judy had to go to the other side of Stockton to pick up the 1st transfer and got it fine.

Next dramatic event happened yesterday when Andy had to attempt to open a bank account over there with my name on it. See months ago I got some forms for the National Benefits & Pensions Office so "try" (doesn't mean it'll be garenteed) and at least get my incompacity (high band) benefit payed in the USA till I get my Greencard. Luckily Andys sister-in-law works at the Bank World Savings and after her and Andy asking near every worker in the building they found a loophole in the system to enable my name without a SSN to be put on a bank account as long as long as I go to the bank myself when I obtain a SSN to get it done properally. So my names sorta on the account temperarily. Plus Andy now has to FedEx asap a batch of bank forms for me to sign and send back asap. Andys flat on his back in bed today because he's in agony because he's been pushing himself trying to get everything sorted. I then find out even with a bank account number and name on the account the form for the benefit requires a definite date of departure from the UK. Low and behold the travel agent we're going through John Proctor Travel is going on leave till the 18th and we plan to fly the 10th of October! Plus they won't except cheques...so dad is having to help me out here and transfer what we have into my parents account in order to pay by debit card, to pay for the flights, to confirm the date for the benefits.....*breaths.*

THEN if we're not struggling finacially enough Andys old apartment complex management phones them up and say him and his mom owe them 800$ !!!!!!!!!!! to replace the carpet cos of his chair cos he couldn't get in door ways easily. WHICH btw when they moved in that place in the beginning they said it wouldn't be a problem if the carpet was stuffed or paint chipped off the doorways as they knew it was a tight squeeze for his wheelchair. In fact part the reason he's moving is so he could have access to more than the livingroom. Poor guys had to sleep in the livingroom in his old place.

As it is Andy & Judy are stuck in Jons and his sister-in-laws dining room, with judy on the sofa and his hospital bed shuved up against a wall. A screaming toddler running around and stressed upto the eyeballs because we just all remembered Andy goes into hospital on monday to try a c-pap machine to help his breathing.

:( I hope we get some luck come our way soon. This is getting rediculas. I know we'll get through it but ya can't help thinking OMG.....ARRG!

Hope anybody else moving to the US with their K-1 is having an easier time lol.

If ya don't laugh ya cry...

Fiona

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Fiona, I highly recommend craigslist.org (browse to sacramento and use 'stockton' in the search). Great place to find housing.

You got a very lucky break with the bank, but you are "on" the account now--it's not temporary.

Some people find Paypal or wire transfer to be an easier way of sending money---no need to go physically pick it up.

My DAH was asking about your benefits--he too thinks you may be able to keep them after you move. There is a VJ user who used to do that sort of work in the UK--have you been in touch?

My DAH has his UK pension payments deposited automagically in our US account.

As for the old landlord, well, if they don't have it in writing, expect more of a squabble. $800 is enough to make it worth the while, however. :)

Hang in there, life is a whole bunch of adventures, just like this and more! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Meauxna, TY for the wire transfer suggestion that's what we'll do!

I've written many places that concern the benefits I recieve over the past year to see if I would be intitled to any of which I recieve now to continue when I move. :( I ended up with 4 letters from 4 different places all saying I cannot continue to recieve Disability Living Allowence the only thing they told us there was a loophole in was the incompacity benefit I recieve. They sent us a form which I'm currently filling in which could enable me to at least obtain £90 fortnightly if it is accepted. But the odd thing is the form is written as if I would be returning to the UK and there is no where to place a foreign back account number. So I've just had to attach a letter. I have a gut feeling they misunderstood me and this form is for people going on holiday. But can do but try! :)

Yes Pensions can be payed to the US :) my parents looked into that as they think they may retire over with us.

We all get past hurdles eventually one jump at a time.

Good news is....Andys new place is finally ready and they're moving in as I type.

Nice to hear from you.

Fiona

Love hurts

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

You'll do anything

Did you have any luck with your health insurance? And what about your folks' health insurance when/if they move over? (Though I know that is some time away).

Good luck :thumbs:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Hi Lou,

We decided to go with the BlueCross CA for health insurance for myself. Andy will arrange an appointment to go to the local to sign up and get it arranged etc a few days after I arrive. My parents are using travel insurance as they're staying with us for a week before leaving for the UK without me. In the future I think they would probably go with the BlueCross too. It all depends really. They want me to petition for them when/if I'm able to recieve citizenship. So it'll be a while off yet.

:)

Fiona

Love hurts

Love Loves

You'll do anything

Glad you got it sorted. I'd be curious as to how much it is when you find out, if it's not being to nosey.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Fiona, I'm really glad it's finally all happening for you both. Hope you don't run into any more little glitches, and have a wonderful move! (F) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.