Information about DS-230 goes here
[Step-by-step instructions for filling out Part 1 of the DS-230 form goes here.]
Department of State Website Reference (as of 15 April 2010) http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html
For Q.35: List dates of all previous visits in US. within past 10 years Must list all visits stamped on the passport, even those that lasted one or two days. Pay close attention to the most recent 3 years.
See Example Forms for an example of a filled-out DS-230 form
DOCUMENTS THAT MUST ACCOMPANY THE DS-230 FORM: (for Appointment Processing, see: Documents The Applicant Must Submit)
- Birth Certificate - "long version"
- Court and Prison Records - if applicable
- Deportation Documentation - if applicable
- Marriage Certificate
- Marriage Termination Documentation - from prior marriages, if applicable
- Military Records - if applicable
- Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
- Custody Documents - if applicable
1. A certified copy of the adoption decree; 2. The legal custody decree; if custody occurred before the adoption 3. A statment showing dates and places where child resided with the parents 4. If the the child was adopted while aged 16 or 17 years, evidence that the child was adopted together with, or subsequent to the adoption of, a natural sibling under age 16 by the same adoptive parent(s)
- Police Certificate(s) -- from any place in beneficiary's home country s/he lived for > 6 months, from any other country where the beneficiary lived for > 12 months and from ANY place the beneficiary was arrested.
The current instructions indicate to send photocopies of all the documents submitted with the DS-230 for Appointment Processing: "The applicant and each family member who will accompany the applicant to the United States will need to submit the following original documents or certified copies of the documents listed in this section from an appropriate authority (the issuing entity). In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents."
Some tips about the DS-230 form and documents, based on RFEs generated:
- Enclose 2 passport-sized photos
- Don't leave ANY space blank, write in "Same as ..." (for example, questions #11 & #19) or "N/A" or "None" as appropriate
- Write in full name if in an alphabet other than Latin (#3 and don't forget again in Part II, #28)
- For dates of residence (#20) or employment (#22), write in "Present" (the PDF form won't allow you to type this in). Some applicants have been fine putting in the date of the application as the "to" date.
- Make sure there are absolutely NO GAPS in the times for questions #20 (residence since age 16) and #22 (employment for the last ten years).
- For questions #21a&b, who will be immigrating to the U.S. with you, write in "None" if that is the case - not "N/A"
- Make sure the signature is recognized as original and not a copy. Maybe press hard so there is an imprint. One member suggested signing in blue ink to emphasize this.
- Photocopies of all the documents may or may not be critical, but until the instructions change - better safe than sorry.
[Step-by-step instructions for DS-230 Part II goes here.]
Do NOT sign Part II until the interview.