Avery Cates

K-1 Biometrics Appointment and Name Changes

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just something we learned today during our biometrics. It doesn't say anything about it on your letter with your appointment date, but if you've had the very likely name change due to marriage, and you name is now different than what's on your passport, bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. They will want it. They were very helpful with us and worked it out, but having it would have made everything smoother.

Also, don't show up more than a half an hour before the time of your appointment. They'll turn you away and tell you come back later. Saw it happen to one person that came in.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just something we learned today during our biometrics. It doesn't say anything about it on your letter with your appointment date, but if you've had the very likely name change due to marriage, and you name is now different than what's on your passport, bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. They will want it. They were very helpful with us and worked it out, but having it would have made everything smoother.

Also, don't show up more than a half an hour before the time of your appointment. They'll turn you away and tell you come back later. Saw it happen to one person that came in.

either bring your marriage certificate or your ssn showing your new name...they didnt look at my marriage certif, but they did take a look at my ssn

the thing with showing up earlier, i think it's different for every office...i showed up an hour earlier, and had no problem :)

I'm the Beneficiary
N400 April 2017 fillers: https://goo.gl/cp2Uxz
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

Hmm, I did not have any issues and did not take (or need) my marriage certificate. I had my passport which does not contain my married name as ID and it was fine. I also went in two days early than my actual appointment and told them I couldn't attend at the time on the letter (8am) as that's when I have to do the school run for my kids. At first the man at the desk said I'd have to come back later that day but changed his mind as he was saying that and went off and got sign off from a Supervisor and let me wait in line immediately.

This was the USCIS office in Austin which is never that busy, YMMV.

Depends which office it's in. We turned up an hour and a half early and they saw us right away. However, we had the same thing; my passport/everything was in maiden name and my marriage certificate ALSO in maiden name. However they still accepted my marriage certificate as enough proof. (Charleston, SC field office)

However the woman (who I'm annoyed at) who took my biometrics put my name in their system under my maiden name cos all SC marriage certificate's HAVE to be in maiden name; even though the Probate Court said I'm in the right and it is enough for my new married name, marriage licenses all have to be like that as that was my name at the time of getting the license/marriage and name change is after marriage. She was just like *head wiggle* wateva, talk about it if you get an interview. >.>

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Hi I had my biom in Manhattan, went a week before my appt and had no issues whatsoever. They were friendly and wanted to see my appt letter and my passport.

My surnames are different on my passport and biom is in my new name. They did not cross reference any docs to check this difference.

Above poster correct, depends on office.

Edited by topoftherock2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.