floridaboundcanuk

Dr Zatzman Review - Feb 2014

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone, so it was my turn for the physical and since Dr Zatzman is so popular to see I thought i'd give my experience.

The day of my appointment there was a snowstorm and in relation to me, his office is a good hour away, so I decide to leave two hours early for my appointment just in case. As luck would have it the main roads were fairly clear so I just enjoyed the drive and arrived a full hour early. Be aware the medical centre is in what looks like a brand new area and is flanked by a Tim Horton's on one side and a small strip mall on the other. THERE IS ALMOST NO PARKING. Seriously it took a good ten minutes of stalking people to get a spot. Kinda ridiculous for the amount of people to this location. Anyhow, upon entering the building the elevators are all the way on the opposite end of where you went in, on the right. Take note that directly next to the elevators is the Xray lab. Opposite the elevators is an interior courtyard with a Big TV on the wall and Medical Logo , to the left of that hidden out of the way is the blood lab. Dr Zatzman is on the second floor, to the right when you exit the elevator, all the way to the end of the hall.

When I got in there I was greeted by who I assume was Michelle, who wanted -

Vaccination Records

Passport

P4 Email

Scheduled appointment confirmation for Montreal

ONE US style passport photo (note, I wrote in pencil on the back my alien Registration Number and Montreal Case Number)

My Address for return courier

$240 (all prices are in Canadian dollars) for the actual medical, $15 for my courier service back home (prices vary on distance)

I took a seat and was called up a few times to sign or retrieve my documents as well as get new ones for the lab work.

Because I was so early I was sent to the labs with the sheets provided and told to pick which one I wanted to go to first. I hate needles so I went to the X-ray. When I got there I walked up to the front and presented my documents. I was told to take a number, but their machine wasn't working so then they let me stay and took me next. Bring a $50 dollar bill. After they wrote me up I was told it would take up to one hour to be seen. With no other choice I took a seat. Unfortunately this was the part of the whole process I liked least. The room is VERY small and cramped and a lot of people are normal patients that brought loved ones with them taking up the seats. There is a tv at one end that was showing the olympics, but that's where the only seats were. I ended up sitting under it. I decided that wasn't so bad, I'd just surf on my phone, except I had no reception the entire time I was there, so if you're the bored type, bring a book or pre-download something to your phone. In my case, I stared at the floor for about 40 minutes before I was called. When that happened you're brought into a hallway and put in a 3 foot by 3 foot closet with a drapery door. You're told to strip down to a t-shirt or if you aren't wearing one, a provided hospital gown. I waited another 40 minutes here. It was NOT comfortable. Finally, I was called to go into the x-ray room where a very nice lady positioned me and took the photograph. It took all of 30 seconds. I got my stuff and it was onto Blood.

When I found this lab, it was not nearly as crowed as the X-ray and I had to take a number. Mine was two above the current number and it took a good 20 minutes to get called. They process your paperwork, you pay $7.61 or something like that on their debit terminal and then you get put in what's essentially an office cubicle. I was in here for about 10 minutes and was jabbed very hard in the arm by the lady who took my money. Seriously I wanted to yelp. I have a very gnarly looking 1.5 inch squared bruise as a parting gift.

Back up the elevator to Zatzman's office and I waved to reception that I was back and within maybe a minute Dr Zatzman himself called me back. We went into an examination room where he took my height, weight (I've lost 60 lbs since the last time I was weighed, woo hoo) and he makes you read the second last line of an eye chart across the room. I then had my blood pressure taken, he listens to you breathe and then he goes over your vaccinations and asks you standard questions. This is where you answer whether you've had chicken pox. I brought my Dr.s original hand written notes and he was impressed and kinda giddy I had them. It turns out I had all the correct vaccinations but one, apparently I needed an MMR booster. I didn't see anything to that point that indicated I did, but that's what he said. He pondered it for a minute and thought about sending me back to the bloodlab to prove I had immunity, which made my eyes grow wide as I thought about getting jabbed again. Then he remembered he had some and just decided to give me a booster right there. He wrote out the vaccination worksheet and then provided me with a copy as proof of immunization for the booster. Then he gave me the actual shot and told me I should get my package in about a week and not to open it and to bring it with me to the interview.

All in all dealing with Dr Zatzman was a pleasure but be prepared for a lot of waiting, some rude patients and staff in the labs, some claustrophobia and bring something to read.

As a post visit note, if you're feeling like rewarding yourself I suggest skipping the Tim Hortons in the parking lot. The staff there look overwhelmed and focus 99% on the drive through. Also I tried asking for a few different drinks but was told they were either out of it or the machine was broken before just settling for a plain double double coffee. I didn't feel too bad about it though, one major step over, now onto Montreal.

Timeline

Good luck! Brian booked his medical there for March 11; we leave for Montreal in a month! Almost done :)

I'll be there on March 20 for the interview the next day on the 21st. The race is on.

Timeline

He hits Montreal on the 23rd, and I fly in on the 24th; looks like we're just missing each other! Fingers crossed we both leave with good news :)

When are you planning on heading to the states, if all goes well?

Since with no issues it can take up to 2 weeks to get your passport and I'll need to pack up my stuff and quit my job, etc.. second week in april. I'm going to drive down and import my car at the border. I already have a nice apartment on hold. For fun I've been making a victory dance playlist I'm going to play second I hit the Florida state line.

How about your guy?

Since with no issues it can take up to 2 weeks to get your passport and I'll need to pack up my stuff and quit my job, etc.. second week in april. I'm going to drive down and import my car at the border. I already have a nice apartment on hold. For fun I've been making a victory dance playlist I'm going to play second I hit the Florida state line.

How about your guy?

If all goes well, he will be here by May 1st. He has family back in Newfoundland that he needs to visit before he leaves, and he plans on working until mid-April. I, of course, want him to just leave when he has a visa in hand, but that's probably not practical :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.