Chetsky

Taiwan Police Clearance

3 posts in this topic

Sent of I-130, preparing for next steps....My wife has worked in Taiwan and before she left I had her get a police clearance for her Visa. We got married when she returned to the Philippines, but looks like she may be required to have clearance in her maiden and married name. Is this correct? If so, does anyone know the easiest way to get this now? From what I understand Taiwan is not the easiest to deal with.

17-Dec-11 Met my wife for first time

24-Jul-12 - Married in Philippines, Honeymoon in Hong Kong

20-Sep-12 - Return to Philippines for visit/Medical/finish up i-130

2-Oct-12 - I-130 Sent (Fedex)

3-Oct-12 - Received at Phoenix Lockbox

09-Oct-12- NOA1 email/SMS : I-130 transferred to NBC

12-Dec-12 - File appeared in Case status

25-Dec-12 - Returned to Philippines for Christmas and New Years

4-Jan-13- Learned my file was transferred to local office on Nov 27

17-Jan-13- I-130 Approved

If she got the clearance in Taiwan before leaving and hasn't been back since she won't need another one. Unless they suspect there is something wrong with the one she has it should be fine. (Also according to you she wasn't married when she was living in Taiwan so they wouldn't have a record of her under her married name anyway).

However her NBI clearance from the Philippines should have her maiden and married name.

If you're still worried about it:

Police Records

Previous residents of Taiwan not holding a Taiwan passport may apply for a police certificate by writing to:

Foreign Affairs Division

Taipei Municipal Police Department

No. 96, Yen Ping South Road

Taipei, Taiwan

Applicants should enclose a completed application form (available from Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Offices (TECRO) or Republic of China Embassies). There is a processing fee of US$11.00). No police certificate is available for previous residents of Taiwan who were dependents of U.S. military personnel and covered by the Status of Forces Agreement or persons living in Taiwan prior to August 1945."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9776#docs

If she got the clearance in Taiwan before leaving and hasn't been back since she won't need another one. Unless they suspect there is something wrong with the one she has it should be fine. (Also according to you she wasn't married when she was living in Taiwan so they wouldn't have a record of her under her married name anyway).

However her NBI clearance from the Philippines should have her maiden and married name.

If you're still worried about it:

Police Records

Previous residents of Taiwan not holding a Taiwan passport may apply for a police certificate by writing to:

Foreign Affairs Division

Taipei Municipal Police Department

No. 96, Yen Ping South Road

Taipei, Taiwan

Applicants should enclose a completed application form (available from Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Offices (TECRO) or Republic of China Embassies). There is a processing fee of US$11.00). No police certificate is available for previous residents of Taiwan who were dependents of U.S. military personnel and covered by the Status of Forces Agreement or persons living in Taiwan prior to August 1945."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9776#docs

Thank you, good information. After much searching, I found this link also from Taiwan and I will share it.

http://wisearch.taipei.gov.tw/wise/s.jsp?mp=108002&d=124404&q=police_criminal_record_certificate_form

The application and instructions are listed on this website.

17-Dec-11 Met my wife for first time

24-Jul-12 - Married in Philippines, Honeymoon in Hong Kong

20-Sep-12 - Return to Philippines for visit/Medical/finish up i-130

2-Oct-12 - I-130 Sent (Fedex)

3-Oct-12 - Received at Phoenix Lockbox

09-Oct-12- NOA1 email/SMS : I-130 transferred to NBC

12-Dec-12 - File appeared in Case status

25-Dec-12 - Returned to Philippines for Christmas and New Years

4-Jan-13- Learned my file was transferred to local office on Nov 27

17-Jan-13- I-130 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.