raian

CR-1 and marrying in Indonesia

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone :)

I would like to ask for some guidance with regards to marrying my fiancee in Indonesia this coming June.

1. She lives near Cirebon in West Java. Where do we need to go to obtain a marriage license or certificate?

2. Do you have any recommendations/advice about a pre-nuptial agreement?

Please let me know if there is anything else that could be of help.

Thank you in advance and take care :)

Ryan

2003 - met online

12-09-2010 - met for the first time

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

04-04-2012 - I-130 approved

05-14-2012 - NVC Case number received

06-26-2012 - Case completed

08-02-2012 - VISA APPROVED :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

hi.. I think your indonesian fiance can answer that actually..

1.go to KUA (Kantor Urusan Agama) somewhere in cirebon its the office to sign up for marriage.

maybe you already have this link?

My link

i feel sorry because in indonesia we dont have much proper information on digital format

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

i should correct some of my information..

1. to obtain marriage certificate your fiancee needs to go to KUA and catatan sipil..

http://www.kependudukancapil.go.id/index.php/produk-a-layanan/akta-perkawinan

its in indonesian maybe your fiancee can translate it for you..it contains what she should prepare for a marriage

Hello everyone :)

I would like to ask for some guidance with regards to marrying my fiancee in Indonesia this coming June.

1. She lives near Cirebon in West Java. Where do we need to go to obtain a marriage license or certificate?

2. Do you have any recommendations/advice about a pre-nuptial agreement?

Please let me know if there is anything else that could be of help.

Thank you in advance and take care :)

Ryan

Marriage Certificates

Available. A marriage certificate (Akte Perkawinan or Surat Nikah) is issued by the following offices for the following population groups: 1) Moslem - the Kantor Urusan Agama (KUA - Office of Religious Affairs); 2) all other religions - a solemnization certificate must first be recorded with the Civil Registry office (Dinas Kependudukan and Catatan Sipil). Please note that the marriage is considered legally valid from the date of recording, not the date of solemnization.

this taken from http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_4881.html?cid=3584

I can say from experience that it can be a bit difficult to obtain the paperwork as Indonesia is very corrupt, bribes are on a sliding scale and they slide very far up when a tourist is involved and competence can slide down too. there are a couple of other types of wedding certificates that are easier to obtain but the us does not recognize them, they will do you no good.

Also the statement above is a bit misleading, surat nikah is from the kua and it is for muslims, if you are any other relegion you need to first get married then take your religious paperwork along with her kartu keluarga and your passport and a letter of no impediment to marriage, easy to obtain from the closest us consulate or embassy, take all that to the catatan cipil and ask for your akte perkawinan, if the price is higher then 1jt (should be something like 200k but will probably raise up for you) you can maybe try to get your embassy or consulate to call them, dont loose your temper, smile and mention it as if you were helping them out.

I know nothing about pre-nups but i will ask my wife where to look for that

I-130 filed for IR-1 CR-1 Immigrant visa, Spouse residing overseas

dec ** 2007 first met

Feb 01 2010 married in Bali

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Aug 02 2010 $355fee Check cleared

Nov 03 2010 I-130 transferred to TSC

Feb 16 2011 NOA 2, I-130 approved

mar 5 2011 recieved case #

Thank you both for your very helpful replies :) Do I need to go to the US Embassy in Jakarta to obtain a marriage license?

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Thank you both for your very helpful replies :) Do I need to go to the US Embassy in Jakarta to obtain a marriage license?

No but you will need to get Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. Everything else is governed by local laws.

keTiiDCjGVo

No but you will need to get Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. Everything else is governed by local laws.

And where do I get this Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage?

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

At the US Embassy in Jakarta.

or any us consulate in indonesia, it doesent have to be from the jakarta embassy

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

or any us consulate in indonesia, it doesent have to be from the jakarta embassy

also you asked where to get your wedding certificate, if the wedding will be under the religeon of islam, you need to obtain the certificate from the KUA. i dont know the spacific process as i marrried under hundu religion which is different but read those links and ask your wife and her family. I'm sure things will work out just fine, in indonesia, at least in my experience, the elders take care of things like that but asking them a ton of questions isnt culturally appropriate, just make sure you communicate what it is exactly that you need

dec ** 2007 first met

July 30 2010 NOA 1

Thanks again for the replies. My fiancee just told me today that we will need a license at the US Embassy in Jakarta. So now I'm confused between the marriage license and the Certificate of No Impediment :unsure: Anybody know which is the one I am to obtain prior to the wedding?

@Skye, what did you get prior to your marriage? And where did you obtain it from?

Edited by raian

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Thanks again for the replies. My fiancee just told me today that we will need a license at the US Embassy in Jakarta. So now I'm confused between the marriage license and the Certificate of No Impediment :unsure: Anybody know which is the one I am to obtain prior to the wedding?

@Skye, what did you get prior to your marriage? And where did you obtain it from?

They are two different things. Indonesia requires all non-citizens to provide a Certificate of No Impediment before a legal marriage can be performed. That certificate is acquired from the US embassy or consulate in Indonesia.

Now, what you need to do for the marriage ceremony depends if you will have a Muslim wedding or not.

keTiiDCjGVo

They are two different things. Indonesia requires all non-citizens to provide a Certificate of No Impediment before a legal marriage can be performed. That certificate is acquired from the US embassy or consulate in Indonesia.

Now, what you need to do for the marriage ceremony depends if you will have a Muslim wedding or not.

Thank you. Do I need to prepare anything before going to the US Embassy to obtain the Certificate of No Impediment? Or will I be guided when I arrive? And will I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

We will be having a Muslim wedding. What else do you recommend for me?

Please pardon my newbie questions. :blush:

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Thank you. Do I need to prepare anything before going to the US Embassy to obtain the Certificate of No Impediment? Or will I be guided when I arrive? And will I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

We will be having a Muslim wedding. What else do you recommend for me?

Please pardon my newbie questions. :blush:

I would recommend contacting the embassy. The US embassy page has more information: http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Muslim marriages are pretty easy. You will get a marriage book after the ceremony. Sort of a passport sized book as proof that you are married. That will be your marriage certificate. You shouldnt have to do much extra other than providing that certificate that you get from the US embassy/consulate.

Edited by Dan + Gemvita

keTiiDCjGVo

Thank you so much. I did not know that the website goes specifically in depth about marriage in Indonesia. :)

2003 - met online

12-11-2010 - engaged

06-07-2011 - married

09-27-2011 - I-130 sent

09-29-2011 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.