jgmes

221G Timeline for NBI Lettor of Explanation

22 posts in this topic

Hello jgmes.....It would almost be funny if it weren't so sad!!!!

Ok....so our personal experience....

My asawa "knows" some people in NBI Manila.... :rofl:

Even so....NBI Manila (she went there 3 times) told her they could not do anything without having the official letter from USEM!

NBI Manila did not care about the 221G....they would only honor official USEM letter request.

It took almost 3 weeks...from interview...for USEM to send letter to us (which we never received).

After USEM told us we could pick up copy of letter...Ana took to NBI Manila same day and USEM picked up "Letter of Explanation" on Friday.

FYI...USEM told her to bring "Letter" back to USEM window 25......but NBI Manila said they would not give to her....must be picked up by USEM!!! :rolleyes:

I can not answer your last question (can it be processed by any NBI)....but I would guess it must go thru NBI Manila ? ? ? (only my thoughts)

If you can go to NBI.....I would try and see if they will accept 221G....will save you time if they do accept!!!!!

If we can help in any other way....please let us know!!!

Praying for you all...the process is not easy....but you will learn much!!!!

@ garysworld n ana

Hello garysworld n ana,

I think our next plan of attack will be to check with the lawyer she worked with at the NBI to see if the 221g will suffice.

If not we'll continue to hound the USEM until we get a teller that states we can pick up the letter. I have a feeling we'll have to play the waiting game too while cutting through all the red tape...

I'll keep ya posted as to our progress and again I really appreciate you taking the time to share your story with me.

Take Care and God Bless..

@ garysworld n ana

Hello garysworld n ana,

I think our next plan of attack will be to check with the lawyer she worked with at the NBI to see if the 221g will suffice.

If not we'll continue to hound the USEM until we get a teller that states we can pick up the letter. I have a feeling we'll have to play the waiting game too while cutting through all the red tape...

I'll keep ya posted as to our progress and again I really appreciate you taking the time to share your story with me.

Take Care and God Bless..

Beware of attorneys/lawyers.....they earn their living because you think you NEED them!!!!

We finally contacted our United States senator and they sent the USEM a letter of inquiry....2 days later....we are told the USEM letter is sent!

Go figure!!!

Anyway...after we took the letter to Manila NBI....we had the visa within 10 days! :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Oh, almost forgot does this need to be done at the NBI office in Manila or can it be done from any one of the NBI offices?

@jgmes, just wanted to ask you if you have resolved the problem already and if yes how long did it take you to do so... how long did it take for you to receive the letter from the embassy... my husband is going through the same ordeal now... hoping for your response.. thanks...

@jgmes, just wanted to ask you if you have resolved the problem already and if yes how long did it take you to do so... how long did it take for you to receive the letter from the embassy... my husband is going through the same ordeal now... hoping for your response.. thanks...

@mhyke /anyone else who comes across this issue :)

It took us 2 1/2 weeks to go through this process. We didn't wait for the Embassy to send the "Official Letter" either. My wife went to the local NBI office and spoke with one of the lawyers we worked with earlier to obtain her court documents. "keep in mind no money was paid for this service." She handed a copy of the 221G form along with a copy of the Interview Appointment letter and the lawyer submitted the documents to NBI Manila. The only money asked was for the Shipping costs of the documents "A tip of gratitude is also appreciated too, again keep in mind this was not expected however". My wife's visa was approved as soon as they received the documents and was here a week later. We've spent our first week her together now and it has been the most wonderful of times. Hope this helps to all those going through this, our prayers were answered and I hope yours are too. Ingat..

@mhyke /anyone else who comes across this issue :)

It took us 2 1/2 weeks to go through this process. We didn't wait for the Embassy to send the "Official Letter" either. My wife went to the local NBI office and spoke with one of the lawyers we worked with earlier to obtain her court documents. "keep in mind no money was paid for this service." She handed a copy of the 221G form along with a copy of the Interview Appointment letter and the lawyer submitted the documents to NBI Manila. The only money asked was for the Shipping costs of the documents "A tip of gratitude is also appreciated too, again keep in mind this was not expected however". My wife's visa was approved as soon as they received the documents and was here a week later. We've spent our first week her together now and it has been the most wonderful of times. Hope this helps to all those going through this, our prayers were answered and I hope yours are too. Ingat..

@jgmes,

thank you very much for ur reply... we will try to do what u guys did...

• 10 months later...

Sorry to hear what you are going thru!

It is hard to believe that having the words NO CRIMINAL RECORD on your NBI report is not a GOOD thing.

I can not tell you about ALL situations but only give insight into our experiences!

What exactly does the 221G indicate?

Are any boxes checked telling YOU what you need to do???

If nothing is checked.......then USEM will initiate the communication with the NBI.

You can call USEM for updates (and to bug them) and to question them about what is happening with your process.

Your application is technically in administative processing until they receive the "Letter of Explanation" from the NBI.

After the USEM receives the explanation they will review it and make a decision so if you can provide supporting documentation ie: court documents

What USEM told us....they will mail a letter to the beneficiary telling him/her to take the 221G request to the NBI asking for a "Letter of Explanation" to be processed. Must be the official USEM request letter. NBI would NOT give us anything with reference to the NO CRIMINAL RECORD.

What the NBI will tell you once you give them the request.....THEY will send the results back to USEM. They will NOT give it to you.

The USEM will send someone to the NBI each week to pick up paperwork (this happens that often).

If the NBI does not have the court paperwork......it would be wise on your part go to the court and get the documentation!!!!

If you have the original dismissal paperwork (we did)...it could speed up the process (make copies and give to USEM.....do NOT give originals).

You MUST keep contacting the USEM for updates to keep them on top of it.

We had to involve our United States senator (sent emails requesting updates) to keep USEM processing in a timely manner!

USEM indicated they mailed a request for the "Letter of Explanation" to her.....but after 2 weeks we still hadn't received.

We called USEM and were told we could come to the Embassy and pick up a copy to take to NBI.

BTW....each person we spoke with at USEM had a different version of what we needed to do and what the timeline would be.

It took almost 6 weeks to resolve and receive our visa!!!!

This was part of our process in July 2010....

Our prayers are with you!!!!

Hello! What US Embassy contact number should we call to follow up the updates? We have the same issue about the NBI official explanation letter requirement. Thank you!

What is the difference between NO RECORD ON FILE AND NO CRIMINAL RECORD?

I just got my NBI clearance saying "NO RECORD ON FILE", however i got HIT, she has a drug related case on file. I got interview with the quality control and sign a waiver that I'm not the same person. After that they released my Clearance stating NO RECORD ON FILE..

Am I good to go or what? :help:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.