gil-n-joy

Renewal of Phil Passport & Dual Citizenship for the little one

13 posts in this topic

This might be of help to those who are renewing their Philippine passport (now called e-passport) and applying for dual citizenship for their children.

Just some new things on renewal of Philippine passport..

- passport is now called e-passport since it will be machine-readable instead of hand-written ones which are now obsolete in most countries

- personal appearance is now a requirement

- no passport photo is needed because picture will be captured on application together with fingerprints

- if newly married and name needs to be changed, you'll need to submit Report of Marriage first before applying for passport. Requirements for Report of Marriage can be found in this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Procedures_and_Requirements_for_Reporting_a_Marriage_Contracted_Outside_the_Philippines

On Dual Citizenship for our little one, we decided to get it so that even if we stay longer in the Phils, there will be no need to get her a visa and do additional paperworks. In the future, if our kid decides to study or conduct business in the Phils, she can move around like an ordinary Filipino citizen without giving up her American citizenship. What you'll need to do..

- submit Report of Birth (requirements are in this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Reporting_Births_of_Children_of_Filipino_Citizens)

- apply for Philippine passport (REport of Birth is an additional requirement to apply)

In US, dual citizenship isn't encouraged as matter of policy (based on that article given me in another post I made) but in Phils it is recognized and most beneficial in my opinion. It's like enjoying both worlds at the same time.

Also, we will be applying for the little one's US Passport too. She will use only the US Passport upon leaving and re-entering US. She will use both Phil & US Passport upon entering Phils and leaving Phils. That's how it works.

Thanks for the info.

Additional: You can renew ,amend your passport and do Report of Marriage together at the same time.I dont know if its the same with other Philippine Consulate.

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What if you are a former filipino citizen?( became foreign citizen through naturalization) because i have heard that only those filipino parent/parents at the time they give birth can have their baby's dual citizenship.Is there any other option we can do to have our kids become dual citizen???

What if you are a former filipino citizen?( became foreign citizen through naturalization) because i have heard that only those filipino parent/parents at the time they give birth can have their baby's dual citizenship.Is there any other option we can do to have our kids become dual citizen???

I would suggest that you call your nearest embassy and ask them...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

I would suggest that you call your nearest embassy and ask them...

[/quot

Thanks for reply...just want to ask you if you did Register your Marriage at nearest Phil.consulate?what are the requirements..and is it REQUIRED?

Any info.would help.

Timeline

This might be of help to those who are renewing their Philippine passport (now called e-passport) and applying for dual citizenship for their children.

Just some new things on renewal of Philippine passport..

- passport is now called e-passport since it will be machine-readable instead of hand-written ones which are now obsolete in most countries

- personal appearance is now a requirement

- no passport photo is needed because picture will be captured on application together with fingerprints

- if newly married and name needs to be changed, you'll need to submit Report of Marriage first before applying for passport. Requirements for Report of Marriage can be found in this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Procedures_and_Requirements_for_Reporting_a_Marriage_Contracted_Outside_the_Philippines

On Dual Citizenship for our little one, we decided to get it so that even if we stay longer in the Phils, there will be no need to get her a visa and do additional paperworks. In the future, if our kid decides to study or conduct business in the Phils, she can move around like an ordinary Filipino citizen without giving up her American citizenship. What you'll need to do..

- submit Report of Birth (requirements are in this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Reporting_Births_of_Children_of_Filipino_Citizens)

- apply for Philippine passport (REport of Birth is an additional requirement to apply)

In US, dual citizenship isn't encouraged as matter of policy (based on that article given me in another post I made) but in Phils it is recognized and most beneficial in my opinion. It's like enjoying both worlds at the same time.

TO JIL AND JOY...

Does it REQUIRED that it is need to Register your Marriage at nearest Phil.consulate?

TO JIL AND JOY...

Does it REQUIRED that it is need to Register your Marriage at nearest Phil.consulate?

The Report of Marriage (ROM) was a requirement to renew my Phil passport and update my last name. Check this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-ppt.htm#RenPass

For the child's passport, she followed the procedure for first time passport applicants, plus, being the child of a Filipino citizen at the time of birth in US, we had to submit Report of Birth (ROB). Check this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-ppt.htm#Firstapp

Also, check which Phil Consulate covers your state. Like for us, Arizona is under the Phil Consulate in Los Angeles. The links I gave here are from the LA Consulate.

Note that there are more requirements to file for Report of Marriage and separately for Report of Birth. They are in the same links I gave above.

Thanks for the info.

Additional: You can renew ,amend your passport and do Report of Marriage together at the same time.I dont know if its the same with other Philippine Consulate.

Strictly speaking, the Report of Marriage (ROM) is a requirement to renew/amend your passport. That's how the process goes.

First, submit ROM requirements in the Civil Registry window, pay the cashier, go back to the window for the Phil consul to sign on your papers (only takes a couple of hours, depends on how busy they are), and then they give you your ROM copy. You can then re-copy your stamped ROM and that's what you submit to amend/renew your Phil passport which is done at a different window. Then you wait for your turn to get your photo taken and other info, and then pay again at cashier.

Took us one entire day probably because it was busy when we went. But yeah you should be able to do them in a day.

As far as I know, dual citizenship is given to children born from parent/s who is/are Filipino at the time of birth. Read this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Recognition_as_a_Filipino_Citizen

In fact one of the requirements for Report of Birth is that the Filipino parent submit this proof (i.e., the Filipino passport of the Filipino parent). See this link http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#Reporting_Births_of_Children_of_Filipino_Citizens

But do check and confirm with your Phil consulate.

hi treefrog,my daughter was born in the Philippines and yes she is automatically dual citizen.But if your child was born here in the US,you have to report the birth of your child to your Philippine Consulate but the filipina mother need to be filipino citizen at the time of birth,If she been naturalized to became US citizen,your wife needs to do the dual citizenship for her and she can include the child's name on her dual citizenship application so the child will become dual citizenship as well.Check your Philippine Consulate website about dual citizenship,it is written there.

N-400 Naturalization

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

Thanks for reply...just want to ask you if you did Register your Marriage at nearest Phil.consulate?what are the requirements..and is it REQUIRED?

Any info.would help.

You only need to do the Report of Marriage if your wife wants to use her married name to her passport.She cannot use her married name which is your surname/last name in her passport if she didnt do the Report of Marriage.

Check the website of the Phil.Consulate that covers your state,all the requirements are in there..you can do Report of Marriage by mail also Report of Birth of the child.

N-400 Naturalization

Timeline

hi treefrog,my daughter was born in the Philippines and yes she is automatically dual citizen.But if your child was born here in the US,you have to report the birth of your child to your Philippine Consulate but the filipina mother need to be filipino citizen at the time of birth,If she been naturalized to became US citizen,your wife needs to do the dual citizenship for her and she can include the child's name on her dual citizenship application so the child will become dual citizenship as well.Check your Philippine Consulate website about dual citizenship,it is written there.

Thank you so much..YOur information help a lot.God bless u and more blessings to come

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.