shy1akaanh

Marriage In Vietnam

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm planning to get married in Vietnam. I will be over there in March for about a month. My fiance told me that we wont have much time to do necessary paperwork for the marriage. She told me that we can start filling out paper work about a month before I go back. She said something about Single status certificate and a record of a stable mental health. I really don't want to mess this up. Anyone have any experiences on marriage in Vietnam can help me with the process? I need to know what kind of paper works I need to get done over here before I go back. Thank-You

---

Marriage: 03-15-2009

I130 Sent: 05-25-2009

NOA1: 05-27-2009

NOA2: 08-22-2009

NVC: 09-25-2009

Email from NVC: 01-29-2010

Medical: 02-14-2010

Interview Date: 03-01-2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm planning to get married in Vietnam. I will be over there in March for about a month. My fiance told me that we wont have much time to do necessary paperwork for the marriage. She told me that we can start filling out paper work about a month before I go back. She said something about Single status certificate and a record of a stable mental health. I really don't want to mess this up. Anyone have any experiences on marriage in Vietnam can help me with the process? I need to know what kind of paper works I need to get done over here before I go back. Thank-You

You SO is right. You will need a gather a boat load of papers and apply to get married to a VN National. You have plenty of time if you start now.

Check out the VN Embassy Website.

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular...y_a_vietnamese/

In my experience, once in VN start the registration of marriage as soon as you get there. It takes about a month to process the marriage certificate. I had to go back to VN 2 month later to sign "The Book" to make it official.

We actually got married May 9, but got our marriage certificate July 25.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Timeline

thank a lot. hope everything goes well. any other useful advices?

---

My cousin just got marriage in HCMC. She only brought her PP, US citizen, phone bills, old VN airplan tickets with her. You need at least 5 weeks to get your marriage certificate done at "So Tu Phap" . You can get yours "Cong ham doc than" at the Consular Office in the morning at HCMC. It's fast and cost only $30. Good luck.

H&H

09/15/2007 Happy Wedding :) :)

---------------------------------------

USCIS

12/12/2007: I-130 Sent

01/31/2008: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2008: I-129F Sent

02/21/2008: I-129F NOA1

05/06/2008: I-130 & I-129F NOA2 (146 days from filing date)

--------------------------

06/21/2008: Pkt 3 Received

07/05/2008: Pkt 4 Appointment letter

08/15/2008: Medical Exam Passed!!!

08/24/2008: Interview Date (K3)(254 days from filing date)

08/22/2008: interview >>> Fail

11/20/2008: K3 Closed sent back

--------------------------

NVC

12/22/2008: Recieved by mail case assigned and IIN #

12/30/2008: Paid AOS online

01/02/2009: Mail DS-3032

01/08/2009: Paid IV bill online

01/09/2009: Package Generate

01/16/2009: Mail I-864

01/30/2009: Mail DS-230 with expedite request

02/25/2009: Case completed

03/09/2009: Appointment letter by email

03/12/2009: Case forward to HCMC

----------------------------

Embassy

04/14/2009: Interview at Embassy (CR1) >>> PASSED!

04/21/2009: Pick up Visa

06/25/2009: US entry (Welcome to America)

----------------------------

USA

05/04/2011: Sent I751

------------------------------------------

Good times become good memories

Bad times become good lessons

------------------------------------------

Timeline
thank a lot. hope everything goes well. any other useful advices?

Save all travel and hotel recipts

I traveled there in July for 3 weeks and went back in September to sign The Book.

Dress pants are a Must to enter Judicial Buildings .

Now The paper work begins for US.

Good Luck

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

O.K., this post drew me out of retirement.

It can be done in a month. I know because my Wife and I managed to get it done in 3 weeks. Ba walked the papers through for us. He actually started before I got there. When I arrived we went the following day to the Tien Giang Institute of Forensic Sciences (catchy name) for my mental health papers. Take note of this because I had already jumped through a lot of hoops here in America to get that stupid paper signed. I call it the "I'm not really crazy" paper. You now must have it done in Viet Nam by one of their Doctors. Their website is real vague about that. It never actually says it has to be done in Country.

Once there I was given a short interview. They concentrated a lot on family. "How many Brothers and Sisters do you have" etc. I was then led into the back room for the most bizarre experience of my life. My brain was mapped on that fateful day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_mapping

They didn't ask me any questions, only commands like "Open your eyes, close your eyes".

Ba then walked the papers to another building in My Tho and we then went to the place where the papers would eventually be signed. We were then told that we would have to come back Monday (this was Friday) and we would have an interview where my Wife would have to translate questions to me from the officials there (with a translator present) and then provide them with the answers in Vietnamese. We went back Monday and went through the interview. Once again a lot of family oriented questions. We passed and went back to sign the papers 3 weeks later.

My advise to you is to get your Ba to go to the local authorities and ask them what to do. He may be able to expedite the process.

Timeline

The most difficult parts for me were trying to get a certification that I wasn't insane; most psychological professionals do not do that that in the U.S. The other part was the red tape to get the paperwork approved before I had to return. We literally got it done the morning of my flight, which was that evening.

GOOD LUCK!

Wedding in Vietnam: 12/25/2005 (graduate school, below poverty line, couldn't apply)
[b]August 27, 2007[/b]: 1st I-130 packet sent w/incorrect $190 instead of new $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
October 6, 2007: 2nd I-130 packet with $355 fee (Mesquite, Texas).
January 10, 2008: NOA1 March 31, 2008: NOA2 (approved & sent to NVC)
April 14, 2008: NVC sent AOS Fee Bill (Affidavit of Support) $70.00 & DS-3032 form
Received.
April 15, 2008: Faxed wife the DS-3032 agent form to be mailed from Vietnam.
May 5, 2008: NVC sent request for Affidavit of Support form. May 19. 2008: received NVC's request for Affidavit of Support form.
May 20, 2008: Sent off I-864, Affidavit of Support May 30, 2008: Received IV Fee bill for $400 --money order & sent by Priority Mail.
June 10, 2008: I-864 approved. June 11, 2008: IV fee entered in system. June 16, 2008: DS-230 barcode issued
June 30, 2008: DS-230 mailed by expressed mail July 3, 2008: DS-230 package arrived at NVC & under review
July 11, 2008: Case completed at NVC.
Sept. 5th, 2008: INTERVIEW DATE at HCMC: White paper with writing.
March 26, 2009: Resubmit.
[b]DENIED. June 2009: case sent back & received at USCIS[/b]
August 2009: filed new I-130. Approved after first I-130 case sent to VN, again.
February 2010: USCIS contacted & asked for more evidence
March 2010: USCIS re-approved original case.
April 14, 2010: Consulate sends DS-230
June 15, 2010: Interview Date (Blue issued)
July 13, 2010 Placed on AP -yippee!
Sept. 13, 2010 Consulate home visit
[b]Nov. 5, 2010 Approval letter sent.[/b]
[b]Nov. 19, 2010 Visa picked up. Arrival: Nov. 24, 2010[/b]

Timeline
The most difficult parts for me were trying to get a certification that I wasn't insane; most psychological professionals do not do that that in the U.S. The other part was the red tape to get the paperwork approved before I had to return. We literally got it done the morning of my flight, which was that evening.

GOOD LUCK!

This is the paper I am referring too. You must now get it done in Viet Nam. I went through hell to get mine signed too, only to have them tell me I needed to get it done there. I spoke with another American when we went to sign the papers. He said he got his signed in Sai Gon and it was a basic interview. They had him draw a clock with the current time and asked him a few questions, which is the procedure I went through here. He didn't have to get the brain mapping.

:blink:

This is probably a regional issue as the case of my cousin having the same problem registering through dong nai province. In my case, I had my paperwork package done and legalized by vn consulate in SF ($300 total), and our registration process went fairly smooth through can tho's justice department with no additional testing. >>> http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular...y_a_vietnamese/

We were called for interview 3 days after my wife submitted the application package and paid the standard processing fees ( 1.2 million vnd for US, all others 300k vnd ?!!) I couldnot be there on time so we had to pay 100k vnd to postpone interview to 2 weeks later. But even with special ENVELOPE at front counter as customary for expedited processing, it took almost 6 weeks from interview date. We were interviewed together and asked appr. 14 basic relationship questions (how we first met, how many trips i made, family knowledge on both sides, vietnamese wedding customs and traditions, any issues we have etc.. I let my wife answer most of them) We brought pictures taken during my trips for evidence but the interviewing officer never asked.

After that, they told us to come back in 40 days for results. We came back but no result yet then were rescheduled another 10 days. While I 've heard that it only takes a few weeks for some couples, they had to wait for local authority from where i was born (Saigon) to clear background check on my part. Oh, the interviewing officer actually required my old address listed in our family registration book (ho khau gia dinh) before we left vn, which I had to phone my Dad in the state for it. Our marriage license was issued right after we signed the big book; I noticed the date 08-15-2008 that it was approved exactly 44 days from interview date.

We got married in the church and celebrated at a great hotel restaurant nearby. The feeling was awesome!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Best of luck!! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
Timeline
So is the interview done in Vietnamese and you have a translator present to translate questions and your answers?

The interview was done in Vietnamese. They (there were 4 people present including the translator) would ask my Wife a question, she would ask me in English and then translate my answer to Vietnamese. The translator was there to ensure her translation was correct. I assume they were wanting to make sure we could actually communicate.

Edited by Joe Six-Pack

I had my paperwork and mental examination done in the US in Houston Texas, at a Vietnamese Multiservice Agency. Here is their website: http://www.kshouston.com I found that a lot of Vietnamese places help with those type of service and they can be found in any Vietnamese community anywhere in America. With all the paperwork that they gave me, it looked really formal and professional, I did not need to do anything else in Vietnam. When you are ready to go to so tu phap find a dich vu office in Vietnam that can help you with all the steps to get your marriage papers. Those people tend to usually have some pull with the people that work at so tu phap and will give you really good results in a timely manner. It took me only 2 and 1/2 weeks to get my marriage papers. Good Luck!

mrc2pmh1445.gif

• 1 month later...
Timeline

thanks for the help guys. things changed so i'm leaving in about three weeks. Going to be there for chinese new year. woot! i'm going to be there for three months. got laid off so just gonna be there to spend time with her. just wondering...when does the whole process of "bring her over" take place? when i'm still in vn or when i come back here? thanks a lot

---

Timeline
thanks for the help guys. things changed so i'm leaving in about three weeks. Going to be there for chinese new year. woot! i'm going to be there for three months. got laid off so just gonna be there to spend time with her. just wondering...when does the whole process of "bring her over" take place? when i'm still in vn or when i come back here? thanks a lot

Sorry to hear about the job dude.

Theoretically you could start the paperwork there. I would compile the package and mail it home, then have someone mail it from here. USCIS has a field office in Saigon, but you have to live there a year to submit it directly to them there.

I've been in Vietnam since January 08 and I have living and working here for about a year now. I started the whole visa process in June and let my lawyer take care of it all for me in America. He's basiclly does everything over courier service for me. If I need to sign some paperwork he sends it by DHL for me or I do the revearse if I need to get him something. I don't plan to be back in America until my wife has that Visa in her passport and can go with me back to America.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.