Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Throwaway777

  • Rank
  • Member # 329487
  • Location Seoul, South Korea

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thank you! And yes haha I will keep that in mind. Her work was the only thing not included on the K1, but will definitely be sure to avoid misrepping as we move forward to AOS and stuff. Did not even consider how it could conflict with taxes at that time. But anyway, that all sounds great. So how did the payment work? Would I pay the taxes on both her and my own income, and then they just refund the amount that is exempted? Or do you just not even pay for the exempted amount? Thank you for all of your help! I'm only 24 btw so I'm still a bit of a tax newbie - Please excuse my naivety haha
  2. She actually did not claim to be working on the I-129F for the same reason, however I did not feel bad about that since it was only for her visa application. I'm much less comfortable with not complying with tax law haha. Anyway, it sounds like the best option will be to file jointly, report her foreign income for the year, and then receive the foreign income exemption, correct? This way we should get the standard deduction for filing jointly, and only be paying taxes on my income (all of hers should be exempted since she made well under 100K abroad). Does all of this sound right?
  3. Hi all, Not sure if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything after searching so I'm posting it anyways. My fiancee will be coming here on a K1 in October and we will be married by November. For tax purposes, I'm wondering if we should file jointly or separately. I am aware that filing both ways is an option, but I would obviously like to get the best break possible. If I file jointly, I will get a better standard deduction, but I will also have to report income that my spouse earned this year before coming to the U.S., correct? My question is, how would this even be enforced? My fiancee is from South Korea, but she has only earned about 10-15K, and it was essentially "under the table". That said, she won't even have official tax documents from South Korea confirming her income. Of course, I want to be as honest as possible and comply with tax law, but is it necessary to report her income given the circumstances and the relatively small size of the income? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
  4. Yes, I can also provide current pay stubs!! What do you think?
  5. Hi all, I will try to be succinct here. My fiancee (South Korean) will be interviewing in two weeks for her K1 visa, and I am trying to prepare the I-134 and supporting documents to send to her. I graduated from university last year and I am now working as a research fellow. I earn about 30,000/year in my current position, but because I only started at my current job in the summer of last year, my tax returns only reflect less than half of my gross income. I intend on providing a letter from my employer and last year's tax return with a letter describing my particular situation. My questions are as follows: 1. Although my income is over 125% of the poverty level, do I need a co-sponsor? I really would prefer not to have a co-sponsor as the only potential co-sponsor would be my mother, and trying to get financial documents out of her in a timely manner is quite difficult. 2. Should I not need a co-sponsor, will my tax transcript and letter from my employer be sufficient support to go along with the I-134? Please advise!
  • Create New...