Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About drosha

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  • Member # 304039

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. drosha

    90 day rule

    You can apply at 11/08/18. I would wait a couple of days after that and apply if you’re doing it online just in case they have some funny calculations.
  2. You have to be married to the USC that is your sponsor for at least 3 years at the time of application. There is no 90 day grace period for that. Your spouse also needs to be a US citizen for at least 3 years at the time of application.
  3. In that case it’s a bit more complicated than I thought. Because I thought the marriage was in the US. I’m surprised you were able to change the name for DL and SSN without needing a court order just by using a foreign marriage certificate. You probably do need a judicial ceremony to change the name. Or you can do it yourself before the interview and USCIS will print the certificate with the correct name
  4. Is your step daughter a US citizen? If so she is not your sponsor. Your wife is your sponsor. Otherwise https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/bringing-children-sons-and-daughters-live-united-states-permanent-residents “If you are petitioning for a step-child and have not been married to the child’s genetic parent genetic or legal gestational mother for 2 years at the time the child receives permanent residence, the child will be granted conditional permanent resident (CPR) status. Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence is used to remove the conditional basis of permanent residence. (Note that Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card is NOTused for this purpose.) If your spouse and child became CPRs at the same time or within 90 days, the child can be included in your spouse’s petition. If the child became a permanent resident more than 90 days after your spouse, the child will need to file a separate Form I-751. Form I-751 must be filed within the 90-day period prior to the expiration date on the conditional resident card. If you fail to file during this time, your spouse and/or your child’s status will be terminated and they may be subject to removal from the United States. For more information, see the How Do I Guides.”
  5. If it’s written on her marriage certificate that means your wife has legally already changed her last name. What she needs to do at this point is to apply for a new green card with the new married name. In fact legally she should have done this soon after getting married because the green card is supposed to have her legal name. It is possible that USCIS will accommodate her and essentially use the naturalization process to update her name because it was through marriage. But it is also possible that they will not accommodate her and reject her application after the interview. Though to be fair the fact she didn’t write her correct legal name in the application may be disqualifying. In the case of the oath ceremony. She doesn’t need a judicial ceremony for the name update because it was already changed via marriage certificate. Good luck to you guys and hopefully she will get the easy route.
  6. From selective service website: ”In accordance with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) Policy Manual - Volume 12 - Part D - Chapter 7, applicants for naturalization who are over age 31 are eligible for naturalization even if they knowingly and willfully failed to register. This is because the applicant's failure to register would be outside of the statutory period during which the applicant must show that he is of good moral character and disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. Thus a man's failure to register with Selective Service does not make him ineligible for naturalization because he is age 31 or older. Also, since an immigrant who is age 31 or older remains eligible for naturalization even if he knowingly and willfully failed to register, he should not be asked to get a "Status Information Letter" from Selective Service.” https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Status-Information-Letter if your birthday is correct, You are 31, hence you don’t need anything from selective service.
  7. Those mentioned above are very good. assuming that you own your house, it would also help if you have a house deed/title with both names or mortgage with both names, if you’re renting a lease would help.
  8. It is not just in the past, it is actually working right now because I’m getting ready to apply for citizenship and they just gave me another letter upon my request saying that my spouse is a dependent in my insurance since a certain date. If you’re signing up for your insurance through your employer as a benefit, they are the guardians of your signing up process and premium payments. I don’t know how you guys don’t know this. Have you just never worked for an employer that gave you an insurance benefit? This is how it worked for me for every company I worked in the US. If you are an independent contractor it is different.
  9. If you get your insurance through your employer and your spouse is added as a dependent your employer can state it. I worked for 2 separate employers, they both wrote a letter for me saying that my spouse is my dependent on the insurance
  10. Couple of things. 1. Based on the immigration timeline on your profile, you don’t have to submit your application on August 22nd. You have to submit it in the 90 day period before your card expires. 2. I don’t get why your employer can’t give you a letter saying that you and your spouse are in the same insurance since such and such date. I don’t know if your open enrollment forms can be considered good evidence because there is no way to determine whether you submitted those forms. Try to get a letter either from your employer (better) or from the insurance company.
  11. No it isn’t. It might help if you have to explain the reason behind the absence of a crucial evidence. But even then USCIS agent doesn’t have to believe your explanation without evidence. I never sent any cover letters or “exhibit” organizations for either AOD or ROC and got approved around about the same time as majority other people who sent it around the same date as me.
  12. Don’t trust the muddy math of a CBP agent who is not even tested for math before getting hired for that job. Do your own calculation. Don’t send it prior to August 25th.
  13. You have more than enough without any pictures, tickets or any utility bills. What they look for mainly is financial commingling and living together. You have joint bank account, home ownership, tax returns and health insurance. That is major primary evidence there. You can send the bills you have to show living together now as secondary evidence.
  14. This sentence and the sentiment behind it is completely against the spirit of being an American. The government works for me, if I disagree with what it is doing I can get angry all I want. As long as I don’t try to violently overthrow it, there is nothing wrong with getting angry at your government and try to change the policy. Regardless of your partisan or nonpartisan opinions, This type of subservient sentiment towards a central government among the populace is what the founding fathers were afraid of and put the safeguards against.
  15. I don’t understand why her driver’s license expiration date is before the expiration date of the extension letter. Is that because DMV extended it one year from the letter date and not the card expiration date? Also this whole thing is stupid, each state seems to have a different interpretation of the real ID act. Some states give a full term license to the 2 year green card, some give only to the card expiration date even though your status doesn’t expire when card expires. also some states give people drivers licenses without immigration status. You can look into that but I don’t know how you can switch back to the regular license after doing that once the 10 year card comes in.