Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Sendug

  • Rank
  • Member # 294840

Profile Information

  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    IR-1/CR-1 Visa
  • Place benefits filed at
    Nebraska Service Center
  • Country

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Just got emailed our NOA1: Nebraska seems to be where everyone is getting routed. In case it helps someone else filing from Japan, they require you to take your physical My Number card to the post office for international money orders and have increased the processing fee up to 5,000 yen. The biggest hassle I had though was on the address. The post office insists you give an address when getting a money order, but I didn't see one posted on the USCIS site for Department of Homeland Security. In the end, it didn't matter: the address is just for the paperwork, after which they give you a blank check to fill out yourself. I gave the Chicago Lockbox address for the paperwork, but just left the address portion on the check itself blank. Our journey begins! Time to start on this I-864...
  2. Thanks for your opinion. Her main duty is the bookkeeping, which would go away if the business did. And duly noted about not leaving blanks (here and elsewhere).
  3. Hi all, I'm still filling out the I-130/I-130A forms for the initial submission and have a question on phrasing for the Beneficiary's employment status. I (the Petitioner) am self-employed (sole proprietor) in Japan, and she works for me, as declared both in US and Japanese taxes. I do not have corporate status in either country, but I do have a business name registered here in Japan. I'm guessing I use either my name or the business name as her employer? Either would be truthful, just not sure which they would expect in such a case. Also, before that she was a SAHM with our son. Her last job was just over 5 years ago. List as "unemployed" under Employer 2 or just leave blank?
  4. Just to add: when I say "officially" for my wife being my bookkeeper, I mean that is how it is declared for Japanese taxes. I can make sure it shows up that way in my US tax filings this year as well as I haven't filed 2017 taxes yet. I have until June for that as I live abroad.
  5. Thanks for the response. The only AILA-certified lawyer in Japan wants way more than I'm willing to pay. If the consequence is a possible delay, I'll take it. I've provided more details below in hopes of more advice. I believe my domicile case is solid. It has been a full 12 years since I officially lived in the US, but I never cut ties. I still have my US bank accounts, have numerous US credit cards open (with her name as well on some), still have a current MD driver's license, have US-based retirement and investment accounts, and am current on my US taxes. Especially in the financial sense, I'm already there, I think. Thanks for the idea on the lease. That should be easy to set up. Yes, I'm current on my taxes and FBARs and well above the poverty line (edit: I will have to check the returns to see what my AGI was... definitely not $0 as I maintain taxable income to continue IRA contributions). Your opinion seems to agree with the lawyer. The US-based assets will cover it, so I'll include them. The domicile explanation letter would go with the I-864, correct? I still have time--will look into that further. It was basically an extended honeymoon. I was switching from a working visa to a spousal visa, so it made sense to just let it lapse to save on Japanese taxes for a year, then reapply upon reentry to Japan. Got the spousal visa for Japan sorted in DC. Also, I continued to work while on the road enough to exceed the US poverty level for that year. I'll work on the wording for the note. As mentioned above, I've maintained my US domicile throughout and am still in Japan on a temporary visa, not PR.
  6. Hi all, I'm new around here. The archives here are a huge source of info, but I still have a few questions. Here's our situation: -Married couple with child and living abroad (Japan) together, married more than 2 years -The petitioner (me) is self-employed and she's officially my bookkeeper -My job is location-independent and will come with us, so I'm staying throughout the process and we will move together -I'm originally from one state (MD) and intending to move to another (CO) -I use my parents' MD address for my US credit cards, and my aunt in CO said she'll let us stay there while we search for a place upon arrival Now, I see that on the I-130 I should list our Japanese address as our current address and mailing address; for "address in US where the beneficiary intends to live," I'm guessing that my parents' address would be simplest as that's where I'd argue that I'm currently "domiciled." Will this answer affect where we disembark though, i.e. would we need to fly into DC if I put the MD address? Better to use the aunt's address in line with our actual plans? Or even better, list Denver and leave the address TBD? On the self-employment, the one lawyer I talked to seemed to be of the opinion that they'd be skeptical of self-employment income traveling with me. I know it will, but it's more about what they think. I also have the $80K in US assets that I can list; would that be the safer route? If so, just list the assets? Also on address, less than 5 years ago, we went traveling and had no address for that period: we canceled our lease and my residence status and just traveled, a different country each month. Should I just put N/A or NONE with the dates? I'm guessing this would be a good place for a supplemental note. Finally, on the place of birth for her father, the town was consolidated and the name has since changed. List the name as it appears on his birth records and leave another note with the current name? Thank you in advance!
  7. Hi all, Just starting to look into the process for getting my wife a green card, and after discussing it with 2 lawyers have decided to go it alone from Sendai. We're applying for IR-1; just had our 6th anniversary, and our son just entered his first year of kindergarten. My first Japan-specific question: searching online, it appears that the international postal money order (国際郵便為替証書) from the local post office is the standard way people are handling payment locally from Japan for the I-130? Thanks in advance!
  8. I can second TransferWise for JPY>USD exchanges: very favorable fees, although you're limited to 1 million yen ($9,350 as of today) per month in exchanges. TransferWise just LOWERED its fees even, so it's even cheaper. The next cheapest alternative would be to withdraw everything on her next visit home and then send the whole lump sum from the Japanese post office. It's not shady at all to send your own savings, but these are the two cheapest options. Personally, I'd probably just use TransferWise and send the ~$10K each month until it's complete. The added benefit there is that it helps balance your currency risk in terms of exchange rates.
  • Create New...