Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About dlsis

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  • Member # 291428

Immigration Timeline & Photos

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I can only relay what information was given to me by my mom and dad. He is going to court next week to retrieve the adoption records from the courthouse. Hope to have more and specific information after I get those.
  2. It's not retroactive. I became a citizen legally when I entered US, I am just now trying to secure proof of that citizenship. And I am not here to discuss politics or legislation, as I live in DC and ha e a very intimate knowledge of what is and isn't happening at this time. All I can say there are legitimate reasons for permanent residents to be concerned.
  3. Thanks acidrain. I have my permanent resident card with IR-2 card and also will be able to get proof of the adoption. I have school records proving I entered before 18 and resided at my parents address. I expect that they will request additional documents to support and prove my citizenship. I also have my social security card, enrollment in selective service at 18 and plenty of other ways to prove entry, residency. If I can locate my old Guatemalan passport, immigration tracks all entry and exit and can prove entry as a foreign born child of US Citizen. I was advised by one lawyer not to apply for citizenship if I legally already have it, as you start creating legally grey areas that could leave me exposed to new legislation that may be passed that affects immigrants. It could be interpreted as I have not legally assumed or implied my citizenship. I can appreciate an outsiders perspective but if you read my original post I began applying for my naturalization and then discovered these laws affecting my own status. The current political climate had my family prompting me to get my paperwork in order. Almost all immigrants feel a little more uneasy these days and my family is no different. I felt obligated to get this done now as such, to ease my family's concerns.
  4. It was finalized in US, when I was 15 prior to moving here permanently. I moved to the US at 15 once adoption was final and lived with my father and mother. My father is citizen that adopted me.
  5. Actually meant to include reference to this link: https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/your-child-immigrates-united-states
  6. jan22 - it seems the immigration site has a very direct and clear definition of when citizenship is received for those children entering the US with an IR-2 visa: https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/bringing-your-internationally-adopted-child-united-states/after-your-child-enters-united-states https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-9983.html In both examples it seems I legally met the requirements to acquire my citizenship...unless I am missing something?!?
  7. IR-2 Actually means adoption full and final, not unlike the spouse equivalent. IR-2 is issued to foreign born birth children of US citizens too. From USCIS : " "Children with IR-2 visas that are: under 18 years old automatically acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry to the United States if they reside in the United States with their parents (U.S. government or military personnel residing overseas may qualify as residing in the U.S.)." This is why I am wondering if my Visa, along with birth certificate and proof of adoption would be enough for my passport.
  8. Passport application says secondary documents to prove citizenship are accessible and gives examples, but is not 100% entirely clear what or will not be acceptable. Hoping someone familiar, can reply. Certificate of Citizenship is just that, proof, but not necessary and only documentation allowed as proof. Anyone with clarity and answers on my original question and acceptable documentation as proof of citizenship for passport if my understanding is correct would be great.
  9. I thought under the Child Citizen Act of 2000 because I entered the US under the age of 18 as an adoptee of a US Citizen I actually became a citizen at time of entry?
  10. Hello All - I entered U.S. at 15 years old in 2003 from Guatemala, assuming it was with IR-2 visa because that is what my permanent resident card says today. My father adopted me, a naturalized U.S. Citizen. My father (naturalized U.S. citizen) and mother (legal permanent residence) never received or applied to receive a certificate of citizenship. I am now 30 and want to get a U.S. passport. I've been given differing guidance from various lawyers, but my understanding after reading here and on state department & USCIS sites I became a US Citizen the day I entered the U.S. because I was under 18 and entered in as child of U.S. Citizen. (I also lived with my parents until I turned 18). I also infer that a certificate of citizenship is unnecessary. Am I correct? I do not have my original passport with my stamp of entry from when I was a child. I don't have a copy of the adoption decree as my parent's didn't do a good job of keeping records, but my dad is going to attempt to get a copy from the court here in the U.S. (The records are sealed, so I can not get it myself). Can I just apply for my U.S. Passport? Will an adoption decree, a copy of my birth certificate from Guatemala, a copy of my father's proof of citizenship and a copy of my permanent resident card work for documentation? If not, what other info may I need. I've traveled back and forth to Guatemala to visit my family that lives there, but used a Guatemalan passport and permanent residence card. I honestly only came across this information when I was going to apply for citizenship and was told I shouldn't apply for naturalization, as I should already have my citizenship. I began doing research and just want my U.S. Passport if that is true as I feel safer traveling abroad with U.S. documents and as a US citizen should anything happen during my travels. Also concerned under the current administration about having proof of citizenship. I really appreciate any guidance and know this is unusual as an adult to get clarification.