vicmark

Past May be Coming Back to Haunt Me

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Just starting the I-130 process. I started a topic ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99132 ) concerning a misdemeanor arrest while in the US and have received insightful responses. As I look further into the kinds of questions I will be asked during the process it has brought up another indiscretion from my past. I was denied entry once in the mid 80's when a pal and I were driving to the US. They found pot residue in the vehicle and a pipe on me.... not very bright. I was a kid and doing crazy things kids do. Anyway, since this time I have spent 8 years living and working in the US and traveling back and forth dozens of times. I was directly involved with responses to the 9/11 attacks in New York and spent 3 months managing a satellite communication facility for victims and families of the attacks and a crew restoring services at ground zero. I have never had any issues with customs other than this one time back in the 80's.

Considering the circumstances of my being denied entry back in the 80's, would this be a deal breaker to my achieving permanent residency?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just starting the I-130 process. I started a topic ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99132 ) concerning a misdemeanor arrest while in the US and have received insightful responses. As I look further into the kinds of questions I will be asked during the process it has brought up another indiscretion from my past. I was denied entry once in the mid 80's when a pal and I were driving to the US. They found pot residue in the vehicle and a pipe on me.... not very bright. I was a kid and doing crazy things kids do. Anyway, since this time I have spent 8 years living and working in the US and traveling back and forth dozens of times. I was directly involved with responses to the 9/11 attacks in New York and spent 3 months managing a satellite communication facility for victims and families of the attacks and a crew restoring services at ground zero. I have never had any issues with customs other than this one time back in the 80's.

Considering the circumstances of my being denied entry back in the 80's, would this be a deal breaker to my achieving permanent residency?

Probably not. If you've been allowed entry subsequent to your indiscretion, then the odds are very long that you'll have much of a problem. That doesn't mean it might not happen but in light of subsequent entries, I wouldn't sweat it. :thumbs: Good luck.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it was a big deal they would've mentioned it the first time you applied for a visa..

I would think

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.