trippletest

I-130 Approved under parent sponsor

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Because of my specific and complicated situation I chose to start the in this section of the forum.

Does it matter if I applied for permanent residence by a permanent resident farther or a naturalized citizen father. Or does the case get updated to what the sponsor’s current status is when applying for a new form?

For example, I was approved for an I-130 before the year 2000 and I am barely finding out right now that it was approved and I want to continue by filing an I-485 which will upgrade my status to permanent resident; the problem is that it has been almost 10 years since the approval notice was sent which I never received because my parents moved us around a lot and our approval notice was sent back to USCIS. I checked online and my case is “Current Status: Approval notice sent (Application Type: I130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN)” Should I file for a change of address first before filing anything else? Or should I just enter the new address in the following forms that I will be sending?

I took the initiative to inform myself and take over the process which has been left behind.

From what I understand I have to fill out an I-485 and possibly a supplement form A to the I-485 to become a permanent resident. Does this form restrict me to reside in the USA while I file to become a permanent resident or can I reside in my country of origin during the process?

What other forms need to be filled out and what would the total cost be to get an idea? Do the medical, geographical, financial, etc. forms have to be filed and accompanied with the I-485 or should they be processed separately? (I just want to get started)

Also, USCIS gave my parents an I-824 form “Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition.” Do I need to file for this form (does it have special information which I need to receive) or is my online case status sufficient to process my I-485?

I am limited to information from the web for the time being and I want to gather as much accurate information before I call USCIS to continue my process so that no more mistakes are made due to ignorance, negligence and dependence.

If I have always processed my case while residing in the USA and I process the following forms out of the USA does my case change or will it get delayed because I left the USA or have been out of the USA for over a year?

This is the first part of my questions. I understand that the information could vary but any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
From what I understand I have to fill out an I-485 and possibly a supplement form A to the I-485 to become a permanent resident. Does this form restrict me to reside in the USA while I file to become a permanent resident or can I reside in my country of origin during the process?
To answer part of your question, leaving the country while I-485 is being processed without AP (I-131) approved, and the AP document in hand is considered to be abandonment of the I-485 filing.

Also, USCIS gave my parents an I-824 form "Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition." Do I need to file for this form (does it have special information which I need to receive) or is my online case status sufficient to process my I-485?
If you do not have a copy of the I-130 approval notice you need to file I-824 to request a copy of that notice, and then you copy that approval notice and include it with the I-485. Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

To answer part of your question, leaving the country while I-485 is being processed without AP (I-131) approved, and the AP document in hand is considered to be abandonment of the I-485 filing.

I haven't applied for the I-485 nor the I-824 yet and I definitely don’t have the I-131. I am outside the USA and have been for more than a year. I did not know I was approved for the I-130 when I went to my country of origin.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I haven't applied for the I-485 nor the I-824 yet and I definitely don’t have the I-131. I am outside the USA and have been for more than a year. I did not know I was approved for the I-130 when I went to my country of origin.

File the I-824 to get the approved I-130 moved to NVC, and then on to the US Consulate in your home country, you will then interview for an IR visa, you will need your parent who filed the I-130 in the first place to provide an I-864 to show support. The IR-Visa results in a Green-card issued upon entry to the USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

File the I-824 to get the approved I-130 moved to NVC, and then on to the US Consulate in your home country, you will then interview for an IR visa, you will need your parent who filed the I-130 in the first place to provide an I-864 to show support. The IR-Visa results in a Green-card issued upon entry to the USA.

Do you have any idea how long this process can take? I want to get a realistic idea of time so I can organize my life around this.

Edited by trippletest

some basics first:

1. How old were you when your father petitioned for you?

2. How old were you when I-130 was approved?

3. How old are you now?

4. Your father petitioned you when he was a PR? Is he a citizen now?

5. What was your status while in the USA? Did you overstay your athorised stay? If yes, for how long?

Since you are outside the USA, you don't use I-485.

some basics first:

1. How old were you when your father petitioned for you?

2. How old were you when I-130 was approved?

3. How old are you now?

4. Your father petitioned you when he was a PR? Is he a citizen now?

5. What was your status while in the USA? Did you overstay your athorised stay? If yes, for how long?

Since you are outside the USA, you don't use I-485.

1. How old were you when your father petitioned for you? 12-13+/-

2. How old were you when I-130 was approved? 14

3. How old are you now? 23

4. Your father petitioned you when he was a PR? Is he a citizen now? I'm not sure if he was a PR at that moment or had already become a US Citizen, but I do beleive that he became a Citizen around the time I was approved for the I-130 in 1998 when I was 14 years old

5. What was your status while in the USA? Did you overstay your athorised stay? If yes, for how long? I don't really know what my status was while I was in the USA (only that I was approved for the I-130). I was in the USA from 1988-2007 (I don't know how long my authorized stay was, if I had any - which I don't believe)

Since you are outside the USA, you don't use I-485. What do I use, then?

Edited by trippletest

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.