fafabb

Travel to Toronto on Advanced Parole by bus this weekend

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. I received my Advanced Parole and plan to visit home this weekend by Greyhound. I'm a Canadian Citizen and I didn't declare non-residence when I left Canada. Did anyone try to cross the boarder by bus on Advanced Parole? This is my first time travelling with Greyhound and I have couple questions/worries...

1. Will Canada POE give me a hard time when I return?

2. When I return to US using Advanced Parole, how long would it take? I think Greyhound will only give 40 minutes for passengers at POE, is that correct?

3. What questions will they ask at the borders?

4. What documents do I have to bring with me except passport and the AP document?

Thanks,

Floria

Floria and Gilbert (married on November 21, 2005)

Visit us at http://www.floriagilbert.com

---------------------------------------------------------------

---- AOS Journey begins ----

December 6, 2005 -- Mailed AOS, AP, EAD to Chicago IL

December 14, 2005 -- checks cashed

April 05, 2006 -- Biometrics taken in Philadelphia, PA

April 17, 2006 -- Get my EAD in mail FINALLY!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello. I received my Advanced Parole and plan to visit home this weekend by Greyhound. I'm a Canadian Citizen and I didn't declare non-residence when I left Canada. Did anyone try to cross the boarder by bus on Advanced Parole? This is my first time travelling with Greyhound and I have couple questions/worries...

1. Will Canada POE give me a hard time when I return?

2. When I return to US using Advanced Parole, how long would it take? I think Greyhound will only give 40 minutes for passengers at POE, is that correct?

3. What questions will they ask at the borders?

4. What documents do I have to bring with me except passport and the AP document?

Thanks,

Floria

1) Nope... your a Canadian Citizen returning home... No problems there. They may ask you where you live and what your status in the US is though. But the rules for duty is for a US Resident... NOT a Canadian resident.

2) It won't take long... No more than 10 to 20 minutes depending on how many people are waiting to get through secondary. Be sure to bring $10.00 cash for the I-94.

3) The typical fare... why were you there, where are you going, where do you live. Be sure to present the I-512 (AP) to the officer as soon as you get there. After that, they'll have you wait in secondary for an officer to proces your AP. They'll stamp the I-512, your passport, and issue you an I-94.

4) If your passport is in your maiden name, you should bring your marriage certificate as well.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

$10 for I-94? never heard that before. Where are you crossing? When I crossed by car it went fast.

Have fun!

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Timeline

Thank you so much for your help... I feel calm now. I just worried I may miss my bus if it takes too long for them to process my AP. I will travel tomorrow and will post later about my experience. Thank you!

Timeline
$10 for I-94? never heard that before. Where are you crossing? When I crossed by car it went fast.

Have fun!

When you enter the US on AP at a land crossing, you have to pay for another I-94. It's actually $8. You got lucky, the CBP guy probably didn't feel like collecting it... Actually, sometimes they don't issue an I-94 at all. But make sure that they give it to you. It's pretty important when you go to your AOS interview.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I would like to share my experience here in case anyone want to know exactly what will happen when crossing by bus.

It's relatively simple when crossing from US to Canada. They just asked questions like why did you go to US, where do you live, where are you going to Canada, did you bring alcohol/tobacco. I was stucked for couple seconds thinking the answer of "where do you live". I answered NJ but my family is in toronto. They treated me like a non-resident already.

It's more complicated when crossing from Canada to US. When I get off the bus at the border, we have to line up and get all the carry-on bags on the floor. An office will take a dog to sniff the bags one by one. Then, we will go through an interview. I handed in my Advanced Parole forms, passport and marriage certificate. The guy asked me many questions like "Who did you married to?", "Where did you meet him?", "What was your purpose going to Canada", " How long did you go?", "How come that long? (I was there only for 3 weeks)", "How come your husband is not travelling with you?", "What is the biggest city close to where you live?", "Which USCIS local office do you go to?" He mentioned that he couldn't find my information. He went away from his desk for about 5-10 minutes and came back with my I-94A and both AP copies. They didn't charge me $6. It took approximately 25 minutes for the office to process my AP.

Then, we have to claim the big luggage and go through the custom. I saw somebody was being searched like crazy. I was so lucky that they didn't search mine. There was several people on my bus couldn't pass the border because they couldn't show ties to Canada.

My advice is get off the bus ASAP and try to line up at the front because it takes longer to process. The bus will not wait for you if majority people get back onto the bus.

Have fun!

zyggy may have meant C$10 (last I checked I-94 fee is US$6), a level it was set at in 1998/9.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Have fun!

zyggy may have meant C$10 (last I checked I-94 fee is US$6), a level it was set at in 1998/9.

Heh.. you got lucky.. they were supposed to charge you the $6 for the I-94... Oh well.. no big deal...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No one charged me for my I-94 when I entered into Canada, and I'm a Canadian citizen with an AP. We went through the border crossing into Canada by bus and returned to the US by the Amtrak running from Vancouver to Seattle.

Going up into Canada was very easy -- I was with my husband, a USC. They basically asked us a few questions about where we were going, how long we were staying, where we were from. Canadian border entry has usually been the issue for us, not the American side.

Returning to the US was a bit more complicated because I was the AP holder and the Border Security people at the train station hadn't been trained in finding the AP details. So they were running through in about 30 minutes (glad we got there early) and apologized for the delays, explaining they were not familiar with this part of the system. When I got through, though, after keeping a smile plastered to my face, they wished me well on my trip and were thoroughly apologetic that things took so long.

So not too hard. :)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Timeline
No one charged me for my I-94 when I entered into Canada, and I'm a Canadian citizen with an AP. We went through the border crossing into Canada by bus and returned to the US by the Amtrak running from Vancouver to Seattle.

Going up into Canada was very easy -- I was with my husband, a USC. They basically asked us a few questions about where we were going, how long we were staying, where we were from. Canadian border entry has usually been the issue for us, not the American side.

Returning to the US was a bit more complicated because I was the AP holder and the Border Security people at the train station hadn't been trained in finding the AP details. So they were running through in about 30 minutes (glad we got there early) and apologized for the delays, explaining they were not familiar with this part of the system. When I got through, though, after keeping a smile plastered to my face, they wished me well on my trip and were thoroughly apologetic that things took so long.

So not too hard. :)

Like I said, they're supposed to charge you $6 for the I-94... but in reality it rarely happens...

I would rather tip you off to the fact that they're supposed to charge it and you have the money, then if I didn't and they got you for it and you didn't have the money.

We got charged the $6 for the I-94 when we crossed with the K1... But weren't when we crossed with the AP, but the officer mentioned that he was supposed to, but didn't want to go through the paperwork for only $6.

Edited by zyggy

Timeline

I take the greyhound on a regualr bases to visit finace. They count how many heads before everyone is allowed off the bus and they count everyones head when they get back on so no ones get left behind. Going back into Canada is easy. They never check begs. USA is different. They check everything, but it depends on who it is. Nice officer asks if only clothes and I didnt have to open my bags. Mean officer looked at EVERYTHING three times over. Other times its a very quick look. It is best to sit at front so u get through quicker and back on the bus.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hey fafabb,

thanks for letting us know. I'm going to travel back to Canada in August! Yippeee!

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.