jenanddan2010

London embassy- attending visa interview before embassy receives medical exam results

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi everyone :) i'm posting this on behalf of my fiancé, dan, as he does not yet have a visajourney account. we're both a bit nervous about his upcoming k-1 interview at the london embassy. he's scheduled for his interview on january 19th, and his medical exam is scheduled for january 15th. he called the embassy yesterday to confirm the dates, and the person he spoke with said that he won't be allowed to attend his interview if the embassy does not have the results of his medical exam. this worries us, because everything we've read so far says that as long as the medical exam is at least booked, it's okay to attend the interview.

here are two conflicting pieces of information from the embassy website (italics mine):

from http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/...cal_letter.pdf:

What if I cannot secure a medical appointment before the visa interview takes place?

Don’t worry. You should still keep the visa appointment and, once the medical has been completed, the results will be delivered directly to the Embassy. When they have been received, the Embassy will contact you concerning the next steps that you are required to take.

from http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/forms/IV019.pdf:

Medical Examination

Your medical results will be sent directly to the Embassy by Knightsbridge Doctors and will take approximately 5 workdays from the date of the examination to be received. If you have not yet arranged an appointment for your medical examination, you should do so immediately as the medical examination must take place before the visa interview. Please visit http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/medexam_K.html for further information. You will require your case number in order to book the medical examination. If you attend the Embassy without having attended the medical examination, the interview will be cancelled and you will be required to reschedule for a later date.

and then we have the person dan spoke with, who told him that if the embassy does not have the medical results in hand, they will cancel his interview. he has emailed the embassy regarding this matter and is awaiting a reply. has anyone else been in this situation? can anyone offer advice?

our current plan is that he should hopefully have his visa by the end of january. he finishes work in early february, enters the states mid-to-late february, and we marry on march 12th. he received his letter from the embassy on january 6th informing him of his interview date, so since the 6th i have been trying to do as much wedding planning as possible before i start my spring semester of nursing school. we haven't been able to do much wedding planning at all prior to this, because the embassy wasn't giving us any information as to when he might have his interview. he would call weekly, and he would get a different answer each time. one time they told him it would be an additional nine month wait (i.e. until fall 2010!), someone said three months, someone said four weeks... so you can see why we haven't planned anything.

thanks in advance for everyone's help. thanks!

~jennifer

k-1 visa timeline:

march 1998: meet danny in a british exchange program in high school

1998-2008: stay in touch via email, IM, phone, become best friends, fall in love

02/11/2009: danny proposes!

05/13/2009: mail I-129F to vermont visa center

05/18/2009: receive NOA1

09/11/2009: receive NOA2

09/18/2009: visa packet leaves NVC and is headed to the UK

11/25/09: danny mails packet 3 paperwork to london embassy

12/10/09: london embassy receives paperwork

01/15/10: danny's medical exam

01/19/10: visa interview date

??/??/10: POE (boston-logan int'l airport)

03/12/10: wedding

I guess its different everywhere. Inconsistency from consulate to consulate us an issue (as well as within the same consulate).

In Vietnam, if you dont have your medical results they will give a blue slip (221g) and it will have to be submitted when it is complete. Then the case will be further processed. Also here, we were able to pick up the results the next day (if all was well, which it was). We then hand carried them to the interview (just DO NOT OPEN).

Sorry, I know this does not help as your case is in a different country but it does help to further expose the inconsistencies that need to be adressed at some time by our government.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.