elmcitymaven

Errors on reminder letter from USCIS about removing conditions

10 posts in this topic

A letter from USCIS addressed to my husband reminding him to lift conditions arrived yesterday, but there are two errors on it.

First, it was addressed to him at our old address (my parents' house) even though we filed the AR-11 and I-865 last July. I received a letter from USCIS acknowledging the I-865, and we got electronic confirmation of the AR-11 since we filed online (I kept a PDF of the confirmation). Should we do another AR-11, this time as a hard copy, and enclose a printout of the confirmation? It clearly shows the time and date of filing.

Second, according to my mom, the letter says he has been a permanent resident since August 18, 2007. This is also incorrect -- we had our POE on August 19, 2007. Is this worth following up at all? And if I did follow up, who should it be with? Personally, I think this is pretty minor, as the other info on it (besides the address) is correct.

Any thoughts?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You actually have to go to an InfoPass appt in order to change your address for sure!

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

You actually have to go to an InfoPass appt in order to change your address for sure!

Sorry, but I find that pretty hard to believe.

Actually, I just found this (duh, if I had followed my own oft-repeated advice to use google, I would have had the answer): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179147

So half of the answer is there -- I'll mention the snafu in the cover letter and enclose the AR-11 confirmation receipt, and make sure our new address is on there.

So... any takers for the second half? :)

Edited by elmcitymaven

Sorry, but I find that pretty hard to believe.

Actually, I just found this (duh, if I had followed my own oft-repeated advice to use google, I would have had the answer): http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179147

So half of the answer is there -- I'll mention the snafu in the cover letter and enclose the AR-11 confirmation receipt, and make sure our new address is on there.

So... any takers for the second half? :)

Hi elmcitymaven,

Looks like you got the first part of your question right. I heard it here on VJ that your address with USCIS doesn't actually get updated if you don't have case processing with them. So print out the AR-11 confirmation PDF and attach with your I-751 application. I think no need for infopass appointment for address change, your I-751 application packet that you will send will have your new address and the confirmation number from AR-11 which will update your new address in their system.

Now to the second part, which i think is a minor issu. What ever is the date on the passport for I-551 and on the 2 yr GC resident since is the date that should matter. The letter can have typo and i think even if it's off in the letter USCIS will eventually go by what was printed on GC, so go according to that and file within 90 days prior to expiration date of GC.

Examples: POE was August 19th 2007, Letter says August 18th 2007 and the GC says August 20th 2009 and Expiration August 19th 2009. so 90 days will be May 21, 2009. So if you apply before August 19th 2009 you should be fine. But I would advice you file ASAP when you 90 day window for expiration opens.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks! The GC says August 19th, so our window opens May 20th (I've been thinking about that date since we booked our tickets to America in May 2007!). Glad to hear it's not a biggie, which is just what I thought, but you know how your imagination runs away with you when USCIS is involved... :)

We're all set to pop the I-751 in the post on the 20th. Guess I'll be joining one of the waiting threads soon. :(

Looks like you got the first part of your question right. I heard it here on VJ that your address with USCIS doesn't actually get updated if you don't have case processing with them. So print out the AR-11 confirmation PDF and attach with your I-751 application. I think no need for infopass appointment for address change, your I-751 application packet that you will send will have your new address and the confirmation number from AR-11 which will update your new address in their system.

So I read this and got all nervous because we moved after I received my 2 yr. GC, and filed the AR-11 online within the 10 days. But at this point, I cannot put my hands on the confirmation PDF and can't print another one because I don't have the AR-11 confirmation number. I already called USCIS and they can't give that to me over the phone because of privacy issues etc. The USCIS lady of course does not think I have to be at all concerned about them not having the right address (whatever) but says that I can refile a change of address if it will make me happy.

Whaddya think? Should I do that just so that I have my confirmation PDF or should I just leave it and hope for the best. My only reason for not filing again is because I don't want them to think that I didn't file within the window and I'm just trying to correct it now ... more than a year and a half later.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I read this and got all nervous because we moved after I received my 2 yr. GC, and filed the AR-11 online within the 10 days. But at this point, I cannot put my hands on the confirmation PDF and can't print another one because I don't have the AR-11 confirmation number. I already called USCIS and they can't give that to me over the phone because of privacy issues etc. The USCIS lady of course does not think I have to be at all concerned about them not having the right address (whatever) but says that I can refile a change of address if it will make me happy.

Whaddya think? Should I do that just so that I have my confirmation PDF or should I just leave it and hope for the best. My only reason for not filing again is because I don't want them to think that I didn't file within the window and I'm just trying to correct it now ... more than a year and a half later.

Mo

Hi mozplay,

As my experience with USCIS goes they don't normally update your address until unless your case is being processed or you send new application(case) to them. So just in case you didn't get the letter to apply for I-751 which some people get it and some don't, but it's your the applicant who should remember when to apply the I-751 i.e. 90 days prior to expiration date of your conditional (2 yr) GC.

So when you apply for I-751 just file out online AR-11 and attach the printout of confirmation page and also have your spouse to do I-865 (change of address for Citiizen sponsor) and attach them with your I751 application and you should fine.

Good Luck.

The I-865 is complete news to me! #######... I never read about that one anywhere. We moved back in Aug of 2007 and he never filed one. I'll take your advice and submit that with the I-751. How much of a problem is it that we didn't do that before?

Mo

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Oh.. and another couple of questions .... Is the I-865 a new thing or have I just missed it all along? And also, there is a space to write an effective as of when date. Will putting the true date (August 1, 2007) cause big problems? Hell.. just when I thought I had all the evidence I needed for things to run smoothly... there's this bump!

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.