jasminelily

Country of Citizenship

14 posts in this topic

Alright my fellow VJers,

Just found out may be a huge trouble for me. Ok, on my I-130, I-485, I-765 2 years ago, I put my country of nationality/citizenship as British National (Overseas), which I hold a passport for. I was actually born in Hong Kong and I have my birth certificate printed out in both Chinese and English, so on the GC where it said country of birth: HONG KONG. That's fine. I screwed up on the I-751 by putting country of citizenship as HONG KONG. I think, I'm not sure. I actually have both: British National (Overseas) and Hong Kong DUAL nationality/citizenship. I should have thought about it when I filled out that I-751 form, now I've already submitted and they've already accepted it, isn't it too late? I know I should have put the same thing on I-130, I-485, I-751 and N-400 and on everything, but now I've already put HONG KONG on I-751, would that be a problem for me when I file N-400 because the forms have inconsistency? :blush:

I'm not sure what to do. Should I call the 1800 number or make an infopass? Can I still correct what I've submitted at this moment? Anyone please advise!

Thanks in advace!

Edited by jasminelily

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Alright my fellow VJers,

Just found out may be a huge trouble for me. Ok, on my I-130, I-485, I-765 2 years ago, I put my country of nationality/citizenship as British National (Overseas), which I hold a passport for. I was actually born in Hong Kong and I have my birth certificate printed out in both Chinese and English, so on the GC where it said country of birth: HONG KONG. That's fine. I screwed up on the I-751 by putting country of citizenship as HONG KONG. I think, I'm not sure. I actually have both: British National (Overseas) and Hong Kong DUAL nationality/citizenship. I should have thought about it when I filled out that I-751 form, now I've already submitted and they've already accepted it, isn't it too late? I know I should have put the same thing on I-130, I-485, I-751 and N-400 and on everything, but now I've already put HONG KONG on I-751, would that be a problem for me when I file N-400 because the forms have inconsistency? :blush:

I'm not sure what to do. Should I call the 1800 number or make an infopass? Can I still correct what I've submitted at this moment? Anyone please advise!

Thanks in advace!

Does some one know the answer? Should I correct it or should I just leave it alone and wait for RFE?

Please HELP! :crying:

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Timeline

I wa sborn in Germany but am a citizen of Britain. My Greencard came back saying I was a citizen of Germany. I made an infopass appointment and took my birth certificate in and they changed it. No hassle!

26 December 2004 - Got married!

5 March - Applied for AOS and all that fun stuff

18 October 2006 - 2 Year conditional Greencard arrived!

June 17th - Applied to remove conditions at VSC

July 25th - Received biometrics appointment

August 15th - biometrics app complete

September 15th - Infopass appointment to get extension on card.

Feb 27th - Transfered to CSC

April 2nd - Approval letter received

April 22nd - Email stating my card was mailed today!

May 1st - Greencard arrived!

Feb 2009 - Divorced

October 31st 2010 - Getting married!!

I wa sborn in Germany but am a citizen of Britain. My Greencard came back saying I was a citizen of Germany. I made an infopass appointment and took my birth certificate in and they changed it. No hassle!

My 2 yr cond. GC has a line said: Country of Birth - Hong Kong, which is correct. If they want to put Country of Citizenship: HONG KONG or/and British National (overseas) or either one, that is correct too, nothing wrong with the GC.

I want to know if I've put Country of citizenship as British National (overseas) on I-130, I-485 and I-765 2 years ago when I applied, and now on I-751 I put Country of citizenship as HONG KONG, is it going to confuse the IO? Should I leave it alone and wait for RFE? or should I go ahead and send in explanation plus all the evidence (British passport, Hong Kong birth certificate and ID card) now to say that I have dual? Also, is that going to cause problem when I apply for naturalization N-400 next year because of the inconsistency of the answers I have on the different forms?

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm also waiting for others' advise. Thanks again!

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Hi JasmineLily,

Sorry to hear about this mix-up... Part of me thinks they'll figure it out because probably people wouldn't put Hong Kong anymore (since '97) and you put British National (overseas) on the AOS forms... I don't think sending in material now will help, because I don't think they'll unite the evidence with your file without an RFE.

So there's three options:

1. Call the Misinformation line and insist to speak to an Immigration Officer not the CSR

2. Make an Infopass

3. Wait for RFE and/or be ready to explain on N400.

I think you can do the first one at least and see what kind of response you get, and then if you get worried about it a lot, I would just make an Infopass (because I know I would be worrying even if USCIS doesn't care :D )

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Hi JasmineLily,

Sorry to hear about this mix-up... Part of me thinks they'll figure it out because probably people wouldn't put Hong Kong anymore (since '97) and you put British National (overseas) on the AOS forms... I don't think sending in material now will help, because I don't think they'll unite the evidence with your file without an RFE.

So there's three options:

1. Call the Misinformation line and insist to speak to an Immigration Officer not the CSR

2. Make an Infopass

3. Wait for RFE and/or be ready to explain on N400.

I think you can do the first one at least and see what kind of response you get, and then if you get worried about it a lot, I would just make an Infopass (because I know I would be worrying even if USCIS doesn't care :D )

Wannabe_texan,

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm already worrying about it a lot :crying: . Here's what I decided to do:

I understand they might not be able to reunite my evidence, but I still want to send it in with the NOA letter and biometrics letter with a detail cover letter explaining what I'm doing. I feel that I'm doing my part. I cannot be sitting here to do nothing and hoping they don't notice it, I won't be able to sleep. If they don't take my evidence and throw it in the trash can, that's fine with me, but at least I do what I should do, but not going to regret later what I didn't do something that I should have done.

:crying: Copying and typing up that letter as we speak. :crying: Another postage fee need to spend because of my silly mistake. :crying:

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Jasminelily,

Actually, I have a similar (if not almost the same) problem too....

I filed my AOS/2yr green card and my I-751/10yr green card with my birth country which I don't have citizenship to that country anymore (or at least I don't think I do), nor do I have any ties to as I haven't been back since early childhood. On top of that, I have that birth country listed on other legal documents too (which I still cannot change either)....

However, I'm a Canadian, and will always be a Canadian Citizen, which I hold a passport for and will always be "re-born there through naturalization", and having spent most of my life there and relating to the culture/way of life there.

I really wanted to put "Canada" on all of my immigration paperwork, as I feel that this is the more correct and appropriate answer here, since I was "born" there through naturalization (and have proof of such), but I was afraid that it was going to screw things up even further with such an incompentent agency already. So I just did the "literal thing" and put the former birth country down, based on my birth certificate, for the consistency in all the forms there. However, I did put my former country of citizenship as "Canada" on the blank that says "former country of citizenship" (and even enclosed a copy of my Canadian passport and other evidence to state such).

Still, I know that my 2 yr green card contains my former birth country on it and understand that my new 10yr green card will have my birth country on it too, which in both instances I personally feel is incorrect and in the past has caused even more confusion when travelling. I am somewhat reassured though, that I will have have to "surrender/give up" the 2yr and 10yr green cards, when I apply for citizenship, so in that sense, I don't have to deal with this anymore then.

When the time of filing for citizenship/N-400 comes for me, I'll just explain it further (I'll make a detailed letter and provide even more evidence regarding this), and "correct the error" then. By the way, I found out too, that the US Citizenship certificate only contains "former country of citizenship" and mentions nothing about former birth country. So in that sense, if I say that "I'm formerly (and currently) a Canadian Citizen", as I'm not lying there, and it will definitely indicate such on a "legal piece and permanent of paper", which I will be even more happy about, as yet again I will be "reborn" through "naturalization/citizenship in the USA".

As for your situation Jasminelily, I would just leave your I-751 the way it is. Again, remember that we are dealing with an incompentent agency, and any changes, regardless of how big or small they are, after you submitted your application could cause further delay in its approval (for a card that you're going to have to give up later anyways). Instead, I would just "correct the error" when you file for the N-400, and explain further there for a more "permanent document".

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

Alright my fellow VJers,

Thanks in advace!

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hello Ant,

Thank you sincerely for your reply! Thanks again for sharing your experience with me! Altought I've never met anyone here face to face, but I do thank anyone and everyone for their kind help!

Well... I really don't care what they put for my nationality, I have both. It doesn't matter what they said on the Naturalization Certificate, I won't lose either/or just because what the US government said. I just want to be consistence. From the begining, I put British National (Overseas) = BNO beacuse that's what my passport said. I don't have an actual Hong Kong passport. The Hong Kong government let us choose (1) Keep the BNO, (2) Get a new HKG passport, (3) have both. Since my BNO is not expired and I don't want to spend extra money, so I never got the HKG passport. Now I put Hong Kong on this I-751, it's my mistake, not that it's wrong, but it's not consistence. I also want to cover my butt before the IO starts to confuse, so I would rather send it in now.

Worse case scenarios:

(1) They throw my new stuff away and I waste the postage.

(2) They put me back at the end of the queue and I waste two months wait time, doesn't matter to me because I did make a silly mistake, I would rather make sure I do my part to explain and keep it consistence, not to regret later what I didn't do but it's something that I should have done earlier. What I didn't do is I should have put BNO but I didn't put BNO, I put HK, which is what I'm regretting already. I can swear that I look at it many many many times and still I let it slip through my eyes. It's better to send it in now than wait for them to find out then send me an RFE, that would look worse in my eyes if I'm the IO. At least I'm making the effort to correct it. They can ignore it if they want but at least I did it so I'll be able to sleep peacefully.

Again thanks sincerely to Wannabe_texan and Ant&D for your reply and kind help! I guess we'll see what happens next. I'm sending it in tomorrow plus a few more pieces of recent joint name bills, I mean I'm sending something in anyways, why not throw in some more. Truly wish everyone here have a smooth and speedy journey! Good Night!

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Just called the 1800 number, the lady suggested the same thing like I was going to do. Submit a letter and copies of all evidence to explain why the difference. She also said the same thing about my doubt, the IO looking at my case may or may not send RFE. :wacko:

So I'm going to send it in now and just wait to see what happens. Better call them to make sure they would combine my previous documents with this one when I get the tracking delivery from USPS tomorrow. But anyone knows how to call Vermont?

I am ok with it if I just have to go to the back of the queue, but I don't want them to lose my file. :crying:

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Hi Jasminelily,

You're welcome for the help there, after all, that's what we're here on VJ for, right? Thanks too for the update regarding your situation. Good luck with getting that sorted out in getting them to update your records, and hopefully along the way they won't lose your file or delay your case any further by doing this. At least you are making an attempt to "correct the error" here, so it shows that you are up-to-date on your own file too.

By the way, there is no direct phone number to Vermont anymore (believe me, I've tried calling the "vermont number" they suggested, which was "out of service"). Instead, you just have to go through the "national mis-information" line that you called before and hope to get an answer from them there.

Lol...actually in some strange way, you've helped me out too, as I never really considered "BNO" as a birth country option before...(trust me, we have more in common than you think...;)). I'll definitely consider and explain that when I file for my N-400 application and they can "correct the error" there! Thank you for your help, Jasminelily... :thumbs:

Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting for I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

Hello Ant,

Thank you sincerely for your reply! Thanks again for sharing your experience with me! Altought I've never met anyone here face to face, but I do thank anyone and everyone for their kind help!

Well... I really don't care what they put for my nationality, I have both. It doesn't matter what they said on the Naturalization Certificate, I won't lose either/or just because what the US government said. I just want to be consistence. From the begining, I put British National (Overseas) = BNO beacuse that's what my passport said. I don't have an actual Hong Kong passport. The Hong Kong government let us choose (1) Keep the BNO, (2) Get a new HKG passport, (3) have both. Since my BNO is not expired and I don't want to spend extra money, so I never got the HKG passport. Now I put Hong Kong on this I-751, it's my mistake, not that it's wrong, but it's not consistence. I also want to cover my butt before the IO starts to confuse, so I would rather send it in now.

Worse case scenarios:

(1) They throw my new stuff away and I waste the postage.

(2) They put me back at the end of the queue and I waste two months wait time, doesn't matter to me because I did make a silly mistake, I would rather make sure I do my part to explain and keep it consistence, not to regret later what I didn't do but it's something that I should have done earlier. What I didn't do is I should have put BNO but I didn't put BNO, I put HK, which is what I'm regretting already. I can swear that I look at it many many many times and still I let it slip through my eyes. It's better to send it in now than wait for them to find out then send me an RFE, that would look worse in my eyes if I'm the IO. At least I'm making the effort to correct it. They can ignore it if they want but at least I did it so I'll be able to sleep peacefully.

Again thanks sincerely to Wannabe_texan and Ant&D for your reply and kind help! I guess we'll see what happens next. I'm sending it in tomorrow plus a few more pieces of recent joint name bills, I mean I'm sending something in anyways, why not throw in some more. Truly wish everyone here have a smooth and speedy journey! Good Night!

Just called the 1800 number, the lady suggested the same thing like I was going to do. Submit a letter and copies of all evidence to explain why the difference. She also said the same thing about my doubt, the IO looking at my case may or may not send RFE. :wacko:

So I'm going to send it in now and just wait to see what happens. Better call them to make sure they would combine my previous documents with this one when I get the tracking delivery from USPS tomorrow. But anyone knows how to call Vermont?

I am ok with it if I just have to go to the back of the queue, but I don't want them to lose my file. :crying:

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Lol...actually in some strange way, you've helped me out too, as I never really considered "BNO" as a birth country option before...(trust me, we have more in common than you think...;)). I'll definitely consider and explain that when I file for my N-400 application and they can "correct the error" there! Thank you for your help, Jasminelily... :thumbs:

Nah! I put birth country HK. BNO as nationality, which I could have technically put HK/BNO since I have both but I don't have an HK issued passport (like I said in the previous post, I don't want to spend extra money as long as the BNO passport is an acceptable travel documentation), I would rather put BNO only on the nationality part because most countries consider if someone is born there, then that someone naturally granted has that nationality. They should known I have both, otherwise why was my US issued FI student visa 6 years ago put my nationality as HOKO = HK, which that Visa was glued onto a BNO passport which says "BNO as nationality". But with CIS = INS = USCIS, we can't really assume anything, so that's why I send in copies of BNO expired passport, US Visa (highlighted the passport number on the visa) on that expired BNO passport, current valid BNO passport, HK birth certificate and HK ID card (both with Chinese and English) - don't think I need to have certified translations, right (if the original already have English on there)?

Lots of explanation to do for us. I'm wondering if other people reading this would actually know what we're talking about, let alone the IO. :crying:

Hey Ant, do you mind I send you a PM so you can read my cover letter and see if you would understand if you're the IO?

Thanks again!

Sorry if anyone else reading this get really confused! Please ignore us if our situation doesn't apply to you.

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

Hi Jasminelily,

I know what you mean by confusion, indeed! And yes, it is only those who have "been there, done that" that can truly understand this situation...

Lol...while we're at it, why don't we explain to them a bit of world history...Oh the days when the monarchy ruled before 1997! Remember those days and that big 'turnover' event?

You're lucky in some way, that you don't have to put another country in that mix too, as I have to do...lol...

By the way, I e-mailed you back about the letter, so you should find more information there. Feel free to PM and/or e-mail me back if you need further help (that is, if you think I can help).

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby....)

P.S. As for the birth certificate and other legal documents, no you don't have to get that translated, if it is already in English...

Nah! I put birth country HK. BNO as nationality, which I could have technically put HK/BNO since I have both but I don't have an HK issued passport (like I said in the previous post, I don't want to spend extra money as long as the BNO passport is an acceptable travel documentation), I would rather put BNO only on the nationality part because most countries consider if someone is born there, then that someone naturally granted has that nationality. They should known I have both, otherwise why was my US issued FI student visa 6 years ago put my nationality as HOKO = HK, which that Visa was glued onto a BNO passport which says "BNO as nationality". But with CIS = INS = USCIS, we can't really assume anything, so that's why I send in copies of BNO expired passport, US Visa (highlighted the passport number on the visa) on that expired BNO passport, current valid BNO passport, HK birth certificate and HK ID card (both with Chinese and English) - don't think I need to have certified translations, right (if the original already have English on there)?

Lots of explanation to do for us. I'm wondering if other people reading this would actually know what we're talking about, let alone the IO. :crying:

Hey Ant, do you mind I send you a PM so you can read my cover letter and see if you would understand if you're the IO?

Thanks again!

Sorry if anyone else reading this get really confused! Please ignore us if our situation doesn't apply to you.

Edited by AntandD

• 3 weeks later...

So after about 20 days of waiting but no online update, I finally pulled up enough courage to call the mis-information line to see if USCIS had received the additional evidence that I sent in. Wasn't expecting much, so not disappointed at all. The lady basically gave me the very usual answer of do an infopass, the local office would be able to tell you. Somehow I don't think my local office would know, what do you guys and gals think? Should I go do an infopass or not? Or am I getting impatient here? :wacko:

N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

• 7 years later...

J

On 4/21/2009 at 0:56 PM, jasminelily said:

So after about 20 days of waiting but no online update, I finally pulled up enough courage to call the mis-information line to see if USCIS had received the additional evidence that I sent in. Wasn't expecting much, so not disappointed at all. The lady basically gave me the very usual answer of do an infopass, the local office would be able to tell you. Somehow I don't think my local office would know, what do you guys and gals think? Should I go do an infopass or not? Or am I getting impatient here? :wacko:

Jasminally, What was the update on your case. You did send the letter with the correction right. What happened after that. Please update. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.