musa

Fiancee coming to Nigeria

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Here are the links to my previous posts regarding our K1 process, to give you insight on our perspective.

Looking for K1 lawyer>>

Me travelling to the U.S. to meet her?>>

My dual citizenship>>

Me travelling to the U.S. to meet her? (Part 2) >>

So, where my fiancee and I are now is, we've been talking on and off about her coming over to Nigeria and staying for a month or two, bringing her son with her. But it's only today, that we've really treated this option as the primary one. Some of our concerns are: how will a one to two month stay in Nigeria affect our K1 process? We haven't started it yet, because we haven't met face to face, yet. One thought we've had in the past was, spending a weekend in the Carribean to fulfill the requirement, and more importantly, to see if we actually want each other. Again, I'm looking for all the advise I can get on this, and any help would certainly be deeply appreciated.

We're also looking at getting her a part-time job, while she's here. Any input on this from my fellow Nigerians, or people who know Nigeria? And then there is also the question of schooling for her 6 (soon to be 7) year old son.

From what my fiancee and I can see, our options are:

- meeting in the Carribean

- meeting in Baltimore (I come to the U.S.)

- meeting in Abuja (she comes to Nigeria with our boy)

Of these three, which do you think is most suitable for us, regarding K1? I've got a job as an IT Manager at a university here in Abuja, and right now I live on campus in a room. So, now I want to start looking for an apartment to accomodate us three. This would be another aspect I'll be needing help with. I grew up in Lagos, and have only been in Abuja since mid-June. The nature of my job means I spend long hours at work. I barely get out, so I haven't seen much of Abuja. I'll also be asking my colleagues about affordable housing in Abuja. A 2-bedroom should do.

So, yeah. I hope some of you can give us some valuable insight on some of the things I've outlined here. :)

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Here are the links to my previous posts regarding our K1 process, to give you insight on our perspective.

Looking for K1 lawyer>>

My dual citizenship>>

So, where my fiancee and I are now is, we've been talking on and off about her coming over to Nigeria and staying for a month or two, bringing her son with her. But it's only today, that we've really treated this option as the primary one. Some of our concerns are: how will a one to two month stay in Nigeria affect our K1 process? We haven't started it yet, because we haven't met face to face, yet. One thought we've had in the past was, spending a weekend in the Carribean to fulfill the requirement, and more importantly, to see if we actually want each other. Again, I'm looking for all the advise I can get on this, and any help would certainly be deeply appreciated.

We're also looking at getting her a part-time job, while she's here. Any input on this from my fellow Nigerians, or people who know Nigeria? And then there is also the question of schooling for her 6 (soon to be 7) year old son.

Of these three, which do you think is most suitable for us, regarding K1? I've got a job as an IT Manager at a university here in Abuja, and right now I live on campus in a room. So, now I want to start looking for an apartment to accomodate us three. This would be another aspect I'll be needing help with. I grew up in Lagos, and have only been in Abuja since mid-June. The nature of my job means I spend long hours at work. I barely get out, so I haven't seen much of Abuja. I'll also be asking my colleagues about affordable housing in Abuja. A 2-bedroom should do.

So, yeah. I hope some of you can give us some valuable insight on some of the things I've outlined here. :)

Musa,

A month to two month stay would be a great foundation to your relationship, however, keep in mind that she must return to the US to start the filing process for the K-1 Visa. So the longer she stays, the longer it takes to start the process. As far as her getting a part-time job.....here in the US, one from another country could not get a job unless they have working papers. However, my husband (from Lagos) said that you do not need such a thing in Nigeria. If she is only coming for a month or two, I don't know if you should be looking for an apartment becuase don't most landlords there require a year or two payment in advance?? I think they do. There are villas for rent that you can rent by the week or month. Check out the site: MakeItNigeria.com. They have some apartment style places to rent by the week or month and some are very affordable. As for the lawyer question you had posed in an early post......I know many who have used lawyers, paid a lot of money, and the lawyers were useless. This site gives you all the information you need to file for the K-1 Visa. I did it from beginning to end without any advise from a lawyer. The only thing that concerns me about your case is that you have applied previously for other types of Visa's. I've read others stories where that has come up as an issue, but I can't speak personally about it, hopefully someone else can. Hope any of this has helped. Good Luck.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Musa,

A month to two month stay would be a great foundation to your relationship, however, keep in mind that she must return to the US to start the filing process for the K-1 Visa. So the longer she stays, the longer it takes to start the process. As far as her getting a part-time job.....here in the US, one from another country could not get a job unless they have working papers. However, my husband (from Lagos) said that you do not need such a thing in Nigeria. If she is only coming for a month or two, I don't know if you should be looking for an apartment becuase don't most landlords there require a year or two payment in advance?? I think they do. There are villas for rent that you can rent by the week or month. Check out the site: MakeItNigeria.com. They have some apartment style places to rent by the week or month and some are very affordable. As for the lawyer question you had posed in an early post......I know many who have used lawyers, paid a lot of money, and the lawyers were useless. This site gives you all the information you need to file for the K-1 Visa. I did it from beginning to end without any advise from a lawyer. The only thing that concerns me about your case is that you have applied previously for other types of Visa's. I've read others stories where that has come up as an issue, but I can't speak personally about it, hopefully someone else can. Hope any of this has helped. Good Luck.

Thanks for your response, Stacy. I do know that landlords here require at least a year down, before they let you move in. Which is why that link you posted is a great tip. I'll find out if they have anything for us in Abuja. As for my previous visas, I've never applied for a U.S. visa before. I was denied UK student visas in '93, '95, '96 and 2004. In '96 I was granted a German student visa and held a German residence permit till 2004. Do you think any of these would have a negative impact on our K1? I hope not. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Looking for K1 lawyer>>

My dual citizenship>>

Unfortunately, I don't think you will have much success in obtaining a tourist visa to come here. I recommend she go to Nigeria. My SO and I met in Ghana (he is Nigerian, living in Nigeria) and the Consulate had issues with my having not met his family.

Good luck with your journey!

Edited by tony and tess

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Musa,

Thanks for your response, Stacy. I do know that landlords here require at least a year down, before they let you move in. Which is why that link you posted is a great tip. I'll find out if they have anything for us in Abuja. As for my previous visas, I've never applied for a U.S. visa before. I was denied UK student visas in '93, '95, '96 and 2004. In '96 I was granted a German student visa and held a German residence permit till 2004. Do you think any of these would have a negative impact on our K1? I hope not. :(

I don't think this will affect your K-1. The application asks if you have ever applied for a US Visa before. In your case, the answer is no. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it will affect it. Good Luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.