Eli the Barrowboy

Proof of Custody for UK K1 Visa

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if we declare my Kids on our DS-230-Pt1 - either following on or coming now do I have to show proof of custody to the UK consulate? And if anyone else has done this from the UK, where can I get such a thing?

R

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Found on US London Embassy site ...

I'm divorced and applying for an immigrant visa. Do I require permission from my ex spouse to take my child out of the country?

If you are divorced and you are applying for a visa for your child(ren) by a previous marriage, you will be required to present on the day of your visa interview proof that you have been awarded custody of the child(ren) by the court and that permission has been given for the child(ren) to be taken out of the United Kingdom.

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if we declare my Kids on our DS-230-Pt1 - either following on or coming now do I have to show proof of custody to the UK consulate? And if anyone else has done this from the UK, where can I get such a thing?

R

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Even if you weren't married the consulate demands that you have permission from the child's biological father. A notarised letter is preferred, although some here have been approved without it being notarised.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You definetely need authorisation from the other parent. A notorised letter cost between £60 and £90. The parent giving the authorisation will need to go to a notary office with the letter to submit + passport and proof of address.

(F)

Laurence

10/15/2007 NOA1

04/29/2008 RFE by email

05/03/2008 RFE hard copy received

Reply to RFE sent 05/05/2008

RFE received at CSC 05/06/2008

NOA2 05/15/2008

NOA2 hard copy 05/19/2008

Packet 3 received 06/09/2008

Packet 3 completed and sent 06/10/2008

Medical 06/11/2008

Packet 3 received @ Embassy 06/12/2008

Packet 4 07/03/2008

Interview 07/17/2008

POE 07/31/2008

Wedding 08/08/2008

Ronan - are you bringing your kids with you to the US right away or are you considering moving them in the future? If the latter is the case then I *think* you then have to file K2 for them at the time... of course not having experienced this I might be grossly wrong :unsure:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi All,

R

Yes, you do have to have proof of custody, and you can request that order from the Court where the initial order was made. When you ask for a copy of it, make sure to ask for it to be certified, because the Embassy will require it to be.

If you need to know anything else regarding the child/children feel free to ask.

Dawny. :)

Dawny(UK) and Tommy(South Carolina) The Journey Begins!!

- January 17, 2007 - Sent I-129F

- January 23, 2007 - I-129F received at TSC!

- January 30, 2007 - NOA1 sent!

- February 1, 2007 - Touched!

- February 2, 2007 - Cheque cashed by CSC!

- February 5, 2007 - Tommy received NOA1 (Hard copy!) Yay!

- April 5, 2007 - Tommy is coming to me for 12 days yay!! :)

- Impatiently waiting!

- April 27, 2007 - NOA2!! :)

- April 28, 2007 - Touched, oh my!

- May 11, 2007 - NVC receives our stuffs :)

- May 15, 2007 - NVC Sends our stuffs to London, yay! :)

- May 29, 2007 - Packet 3 received.

- June 7 , 2007 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

- July 11, 2007 - Received Packet 4.

- August 16, 2007 - Interview at 10AM :)

- March 19, 2008 - Court allows permission to take my daughter to live in the US! :)

- March 31, 2008 - Sent Passports and documents to the Embassy. Waiting for Visas...

- April 10, 2008 - Visas in hand!!! Omgosh!!

- June 23, 2008 - Going home to my man, finally :) POE (ATL)

- 08-08-08 - Wedding :)

- 08-21-10 - 2 year Green Card received! :)

Phew - a wealth of replies and knowledge ... thanks guys.

I've been informed since that N Ireland law always grants custody to the mother unless otherwise stated and that I most likely have free visitation rights.

My lawyer is looking into it but she seems in no rush, whereas we are.

I'll see about getting the notorised letter.

They cost between £60 and £90??? These guys know how to charge!!!

R

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

OK, I found out that my ex got 100% custody of the kids at hearing (13 years so neither of us remembered).

The court officer just told me that we need to go to Family Court to get this reversed over to me. Dammit!!!

If we say no, the kids won't be coming over, either now or in the future, we cam still file a K2 though, right, and sort this stuff out in the meantime?

R

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
OK, I found out that my ex got 100% custody of the kids at hearing (13 years so neither of us remembered).

The court officer just told me that we need to go to Family Court to get this reversed over to me. Dammit!!!

If we say no, the kids won't be coming over, either now or in the future, we cam still file a K2 though, right, and sort this stuff out in the meantime?

R

Yep, I think you can file K-2 and then have that "on hold" whilst you are sorting out the custody. There are a few members here whose kids stayed to finish school and then joined them a while later. Although I am not sure on how long the K-2 is valid, so hopefully someone else can come along and fill you in on that.

Edited by Mags

Just to let everyone know,

We decided to leave my daughter in Ireland until she reaches 18 at which stage she can make her own mind up and we can apply for an i-130 then.

It may sound callous but there was too much time, money and legal processing to contemplate at this stage what with the visa, house sale, moving, cash, etc.

She can spend her summers and Christmas with us in the USA and get a better feel for the place. She's 18 in 2 years time and then the world's her oyster. In the meantime she has the best of both worlds - holidays in the USA (I didn't even get on a plane until I was 19 let alone go to the USA twice a year) and few more years with her Mum at home.

So there you go!!!

R

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.