babycakes

advised by SS to go to INS to have them stamped my passport

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone had the same experience I have now? I entered as a K-1 and got married last month. We went to the Social Security Office to file for my SS card 1 week ago and got my card yesterday with my married name on it already. We were so lucky because the lady staff there was so patient in looking for my name in their database because it was misspelled by the immigration when I made my entry here. But the lady there advised me to make an appointment with the INS and have the INS change my status and also advised them with the new name I'm going to use now. And after the INS will stamped my passport she wants me to go back to the SS office to show them my passport again.

My question is this, do I have to go the local INS before we filed our Change of Status? Or only after we filed the I-485 and have the acknowledgement receipt of it to show to the INS? The lady mentioned that I shouldn't wait for my K-1 visa to expire, I have to notify the local INS and have them stamped my passport (i don't know what exactly it looks like)) but she said something that it will show that I can still legally stay here after my K-1 expires which will be Dec 22, 2007. I even asked if this is different from filing the change of status 2 times and she said yes.

Will this create problems if I won't have the local INS correct my status and my name on their database if I go there after we filed the I-485. I am hesitant that they won't entertain me now since we have not filed the change of status yet and it is so difficult to make an infopass, the 1-800 number is useless. Please I need some help here. Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you have SSN card, I would then proceed on with normal AOS process, USCIS does not stamp passports with anything for K-1 holders, they will just tell you to file I-485/I-765 as normal to the Chicago PO box.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3ead

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.