valera

Proof for AOS interview - living together?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

We're (obviously) living together, but we're renting an apartment in a 3 apt. house where there is one owner (not us.) The owner is a very nice lady and she'll write me whatever I need, but what sort of proof should I ask from her? Just a written statement that we're renting space in her house (with both our names on it?) Something printed and official-looking? Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, this is the proof we have for now (our interview is on Nov. 29): Pictures of us from our wedding, from our honeymoon, just general in the house photos, photos with parents and with friends. We also have credit cards (same CC number) in both our names (but the statement comes just for me, because she didn't have a credit history), a bank statement with both our names (joint account)... what else... a utility bill on her name and my mother's name (not mine. we needed this for her driving permit,) we'll probably have a letter from the DMV to this address on her name once she gets the permit in the mail.

So what else do we need? What's good proof that we're living together?

Also, do we need copies of everything (like xeroxed credit cards, letters, etc.)? Do they just look at the proof or do they take it and file it?

THanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
We're (obviously) living together, but we're renting an apartment in a 3 apt. house where there is one owner (not us.) The owner is a very nice lady and she'll write me whatever I need, but what sort of proof should I ask from her? Just a written statement that we're renting space in her house (with both our names on it?) Something printed and official-looking? Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, this is the proof we have for now (our interview is on Nov. 29): Pictures of us from our wedding, from our honeymoon, just general in the house photos, photos with parents and with friends. We also have credit cards (same CC number) in both our names (but the statement comes just for me, because she didn't have a credit history), a bank statement with both our names (joint account)... what else... a utility bill on her name and my mother's name (not mine. we needed this for her driving permit,) we'll probably have a letter from the DMV to this address on her name once she gets the permit in the mail.

So what else do we need? What's good proof that we're living together?

Also, do we need copies of everything (like xeroxed credit cards, letters, etc.)? Do they just look at the proof or do they take it and file it?

THanks!

Didn't you sign a lease for the apartment? This would be what you need. If you didn't sign a lease then you'll probably need a written statement from the landlord saying something like what a lease would say, and it has to be notarized. Just a written, official-looking statement will not suffice.

As for proof of living together, don't go crazy with the pictures, they didn't even ask to see ours at the interview. Just take a few, no more than 10. The bank statement is good but the utility bill is probably useless since it doesn't include both your names. Make copies of everything, they'll keep whatever you give them.

Basically anything with both your names on it is good. Cable bill, phone bill, mobile bill ...

Timeline
Didn't you sign a lease for the apartment? This would be what you need. If you didn't sign a lease then you'll probably need a written statement from the landlord saying something like what a lease would say, and it has to be notarized. Just a written, official-looking statement will not suffice.

As for proof of living together, don't go crazy with the pictures, they didn't even ask to see ours at the interview. Just take a few, no more than 10. The bank statement is good but the utility bill is probably useless since it doesn't include both your names. Make copies of everything, they'll keep whatever you give them.

Basically anything with both your names on it is good. Cable bill, phone bill, mobile bill ...

Nope, we didn't sign anything. If we get the landlord to sign a lease agreement like something from here: http://www.ilrg.com/forms/lease-res/us/ny , does it still have to be notarized?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I can't comment on the link you provided, what's to prevent any two parties from printing this form out and signing it? Best bet is to ask a lawyer. If it's ok to use I would think it would still need to be notarized.

Timeline
I can't comment on the link you provided, what's to prevent any two parties from printing this form out and signing it? Best bet is to ask a lawyer. If it's ok to use I would think it would still need to be notarized.

What's to prevent any two parties from printing this out and signing it in front of a notary public? :)

I guess best bet would be to call and ask at USCIS, but I'm not sure how much good that will do ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.