7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

You guys have been of great help. I filed from New Delhi on March 9th. Just got back to the states. What happens now? How long does it take for them to approve I130? Also is there a way I can check to see the status of my application? What does my wife need to take with her when she has next interview? Again thanks a lot you guys, you have all really helped me out.

Amit.

Hi Everyone,

I need your help on this. She got a letter at home saying that her petition has been approved and has sent her DS-230, Part 1 and II to fill out. Stupid Question here, she is considered the applicant right?

Also, my wife was studying in Romania for last 6 years, but she was there for like 5-6 months for her semester, come back India for couple of months and go back to Romania for her next semester. Does she need her Police Clearing Certificate from there? Because it would be really tough for her to get the certificate, since she is back in India for good.

And what happens after the DS-230 form submission? When does she have to present the I-864 form?

-Really Confused

Hi Everyone,

I need your help on this. She got a letter at home saying that her petition has been approved and has sent her DS-230, Part 1 and II to fill out. Stupid Question here, she is considered the applicant right?

Also, my wife was studying in Romania for last 6 years, but she was there for like 5-6 months for her semester, come back India for couple of months and go back to Romania for her next semester. Does she need her Police Clearing Certificate from there? Because it would be really tough for her to get the certificate, since she is back in India for good.

And what happens after the DS-230 form submission? When does she have to present the I-864 form?

-Really Confused

Hi there!

Yes the approval means that she is allowed to apply for an immigrant visa. Now she needs to gather all the paperwork needed for the interview and voila!

She will need the police certificate for each country where she has lived, I reckon that it is regardless of the time she lived there. So to be safe ask her to request police certificates for India and Romania.

After she has sent the DS-230 and Notification of readiness (the latter is used in the UK, not sure if they have the same in India) she will get a letter stating the date of the interview. That is when she needs to take the I864 together with the rest of the paperwork ie. passport, photos, police certificates, marriage/divorce certificates, etc.

Hope this helps! :D

Edited by anytaholland

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

Hi again...

Found this, it might be of help...

"Having just started the DCF journey myself, I'm sure someone else can give you a more comprehensive answer, but are you talking about police checks rather than fingerprints? With the DCF submission you need to have a police check for your country of nationality, country of residence and every other country you have lived in for more than six months since the age of 16. (Some of my documentation says 'every other country you have lived in for more than one year,' so if any of your residencies fall between these times, you might want to check this out further.)"

Good luck!

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

Thanks for your reply.

Now this is the packet that was sent to my wife:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/uploads/imag...PA/packeta1.pdf

Under Police Certificates, there is part which list "Foreign Police Certificates". It says:

"Foreign police certificates: applicants who have resided in any other country for one year or more after the age of 16 may also be required to submit police certificates for these countries."

My spouse has never stayed in Romania for her studies 1 year straight. She would be there for like 8-9 months for her semester and back in India for couple of months and then back in Romania. So does it mean I don't have to get them?

I wish this stuff wasn't so cryptic :(

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks for your reply.

Now this is the packet that was sent to my wife:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/uploads/imag...PA/packeta1.pdf

Under Police Certificates, there is part which list "Foreign Police Certificates". It says:

"Foreign police certificates: applicants who have resided in any other country for one year or more after the age of 16 may also be required to submit police certificates for these countries."

My spouse has never stayed in Romania for her studies 1 year straight. She would be there for like 8-9 months for her semester and back in India for couple of months and then back in Romania. So does it mean I don't have to get them?

I wish this stuff wasn't so cryptic :(

I don't really find it cryptic as much as a game where they wrote the rules. In your situation, I would get the Romanian police cert now whether or not it will be asked for.

I see it as a 50/50 chance that she will be asked for it. If she starts now, it is 'in process'. If she waits until her interview date, is asked for it, can't produce it and has to start from scratch, it will feel a lot worse.

If the interview is called and she still doesn't have it, at least it is in process already.

I know it can't be easy to get one from Romania when she's not there, but there are quite a few nice RO posters here who may be able to give you some tips on getting one ordered from abroad.

My opinion, what I would do. Hope it's helpful to you :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.