4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

To all,

Have not been to this sight for many months.

Update & Lessons learned:

-In Sept. of '06, fiance and I returned to U.S. (Get off of plane quickly so you don't have to wait 3 hours to get through Immigration (LAX)(They took ALL paperwork from Consulate and our paperwork))

-Suggestion: Upon arrival, immediately apply for your State's I.D. card while K1 Visa is valid. This will allow your fiance to move around without carrying the passport or immigration documents (dangerous if lost) as proof of identity (restuarants, bars, police, etc) Some States (Calif) will not issue I.D. card if expiration date is less than 60 days away.

-Opened Checking account in wife's name. Taught her how to use checks (virtually unknown in China)

-Applied of S.S. card in her name. Recieved conditional card with work restriction w/in 10 days. Could not get S.S. card in married name/unrestricted until Feds approved green card.

-Took the whole 90 days until getting married (Married in Dec. of '06). Strongly reccomend all to do so. This enables each of you to get a "better picture" of the life that is coming to you and what "daily life" is like for both of you....Yep, the vacation is over....time to get on with daily life and living together!

-Sent in application for change of status (to married)(green card app.).

-Received request for updated Financials and given appointment at Sacramento Federal building for face to face interview.

Wife asked about 20 questions.

I was asked questions about my business, (and oddly) general questions of philosophy and World Politics/events?????

-Green Card approved, received card w/in 14 days.

-Applied for and received Gas cards, Credit Card, Macy's Card, etc, in wife's married name to begin establishment of credit history.

-Bought used Toyota Corolla. Wife took driver's test, received learner's perimit. Now taking driving lessons.

Keep in mind that WE grew up watching Mom and Dad drive so by the time it was OUR turn to drive we knew the concepts of driving and what does what to make the car do what we want.... Wife started from scratch...turn wheel this way to go this way...push this peddle to go/stop..etc,etc.... BE PATIENT !!!! Adding her to my insurance added approx. $275/month to policy payments (for N. Calif.)...OUCH!

-Wife puts me on NutriSystem........I've lost 18Lbs so far! ....Oh Thank you Dear.....(no more pizza, spicy noodles w/ pork, etc)

-Wife makes house into HOME !

-Conclusion: So far so good. Very happy. Could ask for nothing more.

MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IS LANGUAGE. I lucked out as wife's English is EXCELLENT (full comprehension, not just "book English")

If you are going through this (foreign wife) process, COMMUNICATION IS PARAMOUNT ! Without it, you are doomed for failure, frustration, and the possibililty that once your wife has acquired English proficiency, what comes out and what you learn about her (communicated ideas, personality, opinions, desires, etc) may not be desirable to/for you.

-Next step: Two years away for reaplication of green card, then receive 8 year card.

Good luck to all.

MJC.

PS: Upon getting all initial applications and before sending to DHS, asked for and received from our Congresman a letter of introduction/reccomendation for approval. This triggered a "Congressional Oversight Order". This means that every step of the process, every transfer of paperwork from one Federal dept to another is reported to the Congresman's office. The Letter of Recomendation was with our file from start to finish, from the U.S. to overseas Consulate. I highly reccomend all doing the same.

-In GZ, China, wife said interview Officer read letter (which was Page 1 of file), asked 30 seconds of questions (2 or 3) and then approved K1 entry visa. I am convinced that letter made things much easier for us!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Good post.

A few things, some states wont issue a state ID or drivers license unless they are shown something that proves legal presence more than 90 days, lat is either a green-card or EAD card, and SSN, so first order of business is get SSN before trying to get State ID.

Also a good site when dealing with Guangzhou, and China immigrations issues is A Candle for Love. http://candleforlove.com

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
-Wife puts me on NutriSystem........I've lost 18Lbs so far! ....Oh Thank you Dear.....(no more pizza, spicy noodles w/ pork, etc)

HAHAHA... I caught my husband telling his friend just the other day that he now has to eat healthily because of me. Gone are the days when he was allowed to get his veggie servings inside a burger ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yugoslavia
Timeline

HAHAHA... I caught my husband telling his friend just the other day that he now has to eat healthily because of me. Gone are the days when he was allowed to get his veggie servings inside a burger ;)

Sorry to tangent, but is that Nutrisystem worth the money? Does the food taste good? Is there enough variety? I've researched this a bit, and the reviews are highly mixed. My wife and I have toyed around with the idea of trying it, but so far haven't been convinced.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.