CuriousImmigrant_

Child Support Documents

2 posts in this topic

So I will be heading to the N400 interview this month based on 5-year rule. I got divorced just before I applied for my N400 and the divorce took place back home. My ex wife was a legal immigrant and she stayed there. I have two kids who are US citizens. We did a marital settlement agreement drafted by a lawyer there where I was obligated to pay rent, schools and monthly support. I already pay the monthly support using WISE (A money transfer service) to my ex wife with her name and the value of the support appearing on the receipts. It would be difficult to get her to write me a letter showing that I pay the child support. Also, I have already paid for expensive private schools back home and pay the monthly rent but unfortunately the receipts are in a different language.

Do I just need to show the marital settlement agreement and receipts of payments and that would be enough? 

FYI: I have already previously uploaded the marital settlement agreement and the past payments receipts on the Unsolicited evidence.

Since your divorce took place out of the US, I am unsure if the court is involved and how much to keep track of CS. If you can obtain a receipt, often called a Child Support Arears Affidavit, it would be great. If not, then print all of your receipts of payments sent thru WISE and your bank statements and take them along to the interview. Often they don't get a chance to look at uploaded docs ahead of time.

It sucks that ex-spouses become extra difficult after divorce esp when children are involved but that is human nature...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.