pebb1ee

EB2NIW approved and wants to change consulate at NVC level

4 posts in this topic

I am a dual national (British + Pakistani) and currently living in Pakistan since last 2 years, before that i was living in the UK. I have applied for EB2 VISA which was approved two days ago. In my I-140 form, I have selected Islamabad consulate where the case should be processed.

However I have heard that the DOS has allowed petitioners to move their case from one consulate to another if they can prove they have legal status in that country. Islamabad has quite a backlog and could take  atleast 3 years to get an interview.

My question is:

1) Once USCIS sends the approval to National Visa Center and they will then send me a  welcome letter. Using the nvc inquiry form,  can i ask them to change the consulate from islamabad to London  by attaching the copy of my british passport? Will that suffice or do i need to mention it to them that i will be moving to London as I have lived there most of my life and want to process my case there.

2) If i stay in Pakistan while the case is being processed within London Embassy, once they issue the IL letter, i can then move to UK with my family to attend the interview?  (My Wife is not a UK citizen and has Pakistani passport so she will be coming to UK on a visit visa)

3) When i am filling the DS260 form, do i need to mention my address within the UK or Pakistan? I currently have a place in the UK so i can use its address

London is usually pretty strict and just being a citizen isn’t enough, you do have to be resident there. So you can try but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. What is your PD, is it current? 

MY PD is March 23. Expecting it to be current in few months. I have seen alot of videos from different attorneys mentioning that one can move their case to a country where they have a legal right to live. 

I have a bank account, Cell phone and other bills still coming to my home address in the UK and can move back to UK as well. 

On 12/23/2023 at 3:45 PM, pebb1ee said:

MY PD is March 23. Expecting it to be current in few months. I have seen alot of videos from different attorneys mentioning that one can move their case to a country where they have a legal right to live. 

I have a bank account, Cell phone and other bills still coming to my home address in the UK and can move back to UK as well. 

OK, so hopefully current at some point in 2024.

If you are moving back to the UK then that's fine. But just having the 'right to live' there isn't enough, you do actually need to be resident usually, London has refused lots of other forum members transfers who are UK citizens but don't live there. If you search the forum for 'consulate shopping' you'll see it rarely works. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.