jingai

Canadian Fiancee to visit during filing process

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

This has likely been asked before, but I really would like to hear from anyone that has immigrated from Canada to the US with the K-1 Visa.

My fiancee and I will begin the filing process in a few days (package is together, just waiting for some documents she mailed to me). We really want to do everything right, but if we can, we would rather not be apart. We had plans to meet together halfway in Knoxville for Labor Day weekend (driving, not flying), but we are now curious if she can remain here for longer than just that weekend.

Ideally, she'd stay with me until Christmas, at which point we will both fly to Canada to spend the holidays with her family. She will then remain in Canada until the Visa is issued.

This means, however, that she will be quitting her job before September (she cannot get a 4 month leave of absence, of course). She is also currently living with her parents to save money.

If she were to visit as a guest from September to December, would we be hurting our chances in any way? She doesn't have much evidence to prove her ties to Canada. Even though we truly do intend to do this the proper way, I'm wondering if they might not see it that way.

Also, at the border, should she simply announce that she is visiting for pleasure for 4 months? Or should she tell them our full intentions (visiting for 4 months, return until application approved, etc)? If she omits the latter, could this upset the USCIS?

If she discloses it, could the border guards turn her away?

It hurts so much to be away from her. I want to do all of this properly, but if we can see each other in the meantime, we really want to try.

Oh, also, since she will no longer have a job, what do people normally do about health insurance? Just be really careful? :unsure:

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

if she doesn't have proof of ties to canada (showing the immigration officer that she will still return to canada b/c of unfinished business), she could very likely be turned away..

as far as insurance goes, people either go under their SO's plan or get their own..

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

While visiting doesn't hurt the chances of your K1 getting approved, the most important thing to consider is whether the officials at immigration believe your fiancee has intent to remain in the US. The only thing that I can think of in your situation for proof of ties is an itinerary showing the return ticket. Usually a letter from her employer will help, though you've mentioned that she's going to be quitting her job. Regardless of the amount of proof that you may or may not present, she may be turned away at the border regardless.

You can also read this thread since it does address a few similar issues that you've brought up: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81127

What about travel insurance for your fiancee?

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline
if she doesn't have proof of ties to canada (showing the immigration officer that she will still return to canada b/c of unfinished business), she could very likely be turned away..

as far as insurance goes, people either go under their SO's plan or get their own..

When she has visited previously she has simply shown her passport and come on through. Mind you, this is in a car -- she drives to Detroit and flies from there. I am wondering mostly how much she needs to disclose. I don't mean that she intends to lie, just omit that we have filed for the K-1.. saying, "I am visiting for pleasure for 120 days to see my boyfriend." Does the USCIS frown upon this?

As for the insurance, I have a group plan where I work, but I don't really think they would insure my fiancee?

Can anyone recommend a decent short-term plan for visitors?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Timeline

There's no guarentees of course, but theres nothing illegal or wrong about her visiting you in the US. The thing I'd worry about is getting denied entry at the border, but that shouldn't hurt the visa process. My fiance and I have never had any problems (which is not to say you won't) crossing the border either direction. Personally, I would be honest with the border guards, but not disclose more than they ask. ie she should say that she is visiting her boyfriend for a few months and plans to return at christmas, but should not tell them that you are planning on getting married and she is seeking to immigrate UNLESS they ask for such information. As long as she doesn't lie and has her story straight it should be fine. Good luck! And Congratulations!

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

When she has visited previously she has simply shown her passport and come on through. Mind you, this is in a car -- she drives to Detroit and flies from there. I am wondering mostly how much she needs to disclose. I don't mean that she intends to lie, just omit that we have filed for the K-1.. saying, "I am visiting for pleasure for 120 days to see my boyfriend." Does the USCIS frown upon this?

As for the insurance, I have a group plan where I work, but I don't really think they would insure my fiancee?

Can anyone recommend a decent short-term plan for visitors?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Is she going to have a return ticket? (also might want to look into refundable tickets in case you have a problem)

PS they may give her a hard time at the border too b/c she doesn't have a job and it'll look like she's just kinda doing nothing for the next few months.. and obviously she doesn't have anything keeping her really in canada. You might try getting letters / statements from her family in canada with contact numbers and stipulating when they expect her back and so on..

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline
Is she going to have a return ticket? (also might want to look into refundable tickets in case you have a problem)

PS they may give her a hard time at the border too b/c she doesn't have a job and it'll look like she's just kinda doing nothing for the next few months.. and obviously she doesn't have anything keeping her really in canada. You might try getting letters / statements from her family in canada with contact numbers and stipulating when they expect her back and so on..

She is actually driving across the border with her family (parents and one sibling). She will have a return plane ticket, though, since we will be going to Canada together for Christmas.

We're just nervous about everything right now, so we're trying to do everything as correctly as we can. We miss each other so much at this point though that another 4 months apart is hard.

-Jonathan

I would advise that your fiancee be honest about whatever questions the immigration officials ask her, since all they may very well ask could be "What is the purpose of your trip?" or "Who are you visiting?".

If your fiancee is in school at the moment, proof of registration at her educational institution might help as well.

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline
There's no guarentees of course, but theres nothing illegal or wrong about her visiting you in the US. The thing I'd worry about is getting denied entry at the border, but that shouldn't hurt the visa process. My fiance and I have never had any problems (which is not to say you won't) crossing the border either direction. Personally, I would be honest with the border guards, but not disclose more than they ask. ie she should say that she is visiting her boyfriend for a few months and plans to return at christmas, but should not tell them that you are planning on getting married and she is seeking to immigrate UNLESS they ask for such information. As long as she doesn't lie and has her story straight it should be fine. Good luck! And Congratulations!

For how long did you spend together when you travelled? Would 4 months be excessive you think?

And thank you for the congratulations :) We are so in love!

-Jonathan

Timeline

For how long did you spend together when you travelled? Would 4 months be excessive you think?

And thank you for the congratulations :) We are so in love!

-Jonathan

I'll admit, I don't know about the 4 months thing, but Canadians are allowed to visit the United States for up to 6 months without a visa. Like Liz said, you should check out the Canada forum as I'm sure there already exists many threads about peoples experiences crossing the border. I was lucky because I, the usc, was a student in Canada and was able to stay with my fiance during the entire process since I filed the I129F before we graduated.

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello,

This has likely been asked before, but I really would like to hear from anyone that has immigrated from Canada to the US with the K-1 Visa.

My fiancee and I will begin the filing process in a few days (package is together, just waiting for some documents she mailed to me). We really want to do everything right, but if we can, we would rather not be apart. We had plans to meet together halfway in Knoxville for Labor Day weekend (driving, not flying), but we are now curious if she can remain here for longer than just that weekend.

Ideally, she'd stay with me until Christmas, at which point we will both fly to Canada to spend the holidays with her family. She will then remain in Canada until the Visa is issued.

This means, however, that she will be quitting her job before September (she cannot get a 4 month leave of absence, of course). She is also currently living with her parents to save money.

If she were to visit as a guest from September to December, would we be hurting our chances in any way? She doesn't have much evidence to prove her ties to Canada. Even though we truly do intend to do this the proper way, I'm wondering if they might not see it that way.

Also, at the border, should she simply announce that she is visiting for pleasure for 4 months? Or should she tell them our full intentions (visiting for 4 months, return until application approved, etc)? If she omits the latter, could this upset the USCIS?

If she discloses it, could the border guards turn her away?

It hurts so much to be away from her. I want to do all of this properly, but if we can see each other in the meantime, we really want to try.

Oh, also, since she will no longer have a job, what do people normally do about health insurance? Just be really careful? :unsure:

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Speaking from experience as of late she will lonly be able to stay in the states for a period of 90 days at a time but in total a period of 180 days but they will question her for sure they did me every time but more so at the Sarnia border even though I showed all docs to prove I was coming back, I was able to continue my trip but it was ifie for over 2 hrs,al I can say is go for it the worst that could happen is that they deny her but it's a chance I guess we've all taken at some point in our relationships.

But may I add to that if you already have a visa pending and your in the system the chances are slim at least thats what I've been told!

Good Luck! Laynie! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Because of the length of stay, she will most likely get questioned at the border. And without proof of ties to Canada, sorry, she may get denied.

The K-1 application is part of the evidence she can bring that she's planning to return to Canada.

See the thread "Yes, you can visit!" for lots of information and personal experiences.

As for health insurance, I use RBC insurance when I'm visiting in the US. You can buy a 30-day and maybe a 60-day package and then pay about $2.50/day for each day over that.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.