Hebz

J1 visa waiver NOS 2021 Timeline

137 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, is930 said:

Hi all, my boyfriend submitted all his documents in October, NOS received Nov 1. We contacted the Congressperson in January and they got a general response saying it can take up to 16 weeks. Now it has been 5 months and we got no response. His case is relatively straightforward, he is a physician and was a research fellow without any government scholarship. Our friends with similar cases got favorable recommendations. Anyone with a similar situation of this taking so long?image.thumb.png.139c642a1d5ab1e516278ce01bd78a3e.png

I heard that waivers for those that had government assistance take longer to get approved. 

in any case mine took 11 months to be approved and this was in 2021 - no government sponsored J1 though. So you might be in for a wait 😕

• 6 months later...

image.thumb.png.45efb1e446dd8c630028d9df7ec1991b.png

Hello! Good news here. My boyfriend FINALLY got his FR after almost 1 year... His case was straightforward and he never had government funding. 

His case: Physician with J-1 research in 2021. Currently MBA student with F-1 visa. 

Basis: No objection

Oct 2022 - Sent all the documents

Nov 2022 - DoS confirmed that everything was received

Jan 2023 - Asked Congressperson to send email. Got standard response that it can take up to 12 weeks... 

Mar 2023 - Asked them again and they confirmed that all documentation was complete and that we 

July 2023 - Changed address 

July 2023 - Asked congressperson again. Again got standard response that "sometimes it can take longer than 12 weeks".

Sep 13 2023 - Got an e-mail saying that documentation was incomplete and a list of documents to re-send (we had sent everything!!!!). Even the DS-3035 and statement of reason they asked again.) - they also asked for I-94 which had not been asked before and the actual J-1 visa page. All could be sent by e-mail thankfully.

Sep 20 2023 - FR Finally!!!! :) 

Oct 2023 - Awaiting correspondence from USCIS 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.