b&c

Flights, Expenses, Hotel, in Manila related to interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee is from Cebu. Her medical exam in Manila is July 26, her interview at the US Embassy is August 2. I am trying to figure out the best ways to get thru all of this and get her here without spending a million pesos to get it done. She really wants me there for the interview to support her, but that would involve being in the Phils from August 1 until her visa is in her hands (I assume back in Cebu) ... maybe a 10 day trip at minimum for me. From those that have been thru this before, can you give me some advice?

1. She will probably fly to Manila with her aunt and a girlfriend. Where should they stay that is a decent place, not expensive, yet close to St. Lukes and to the US Embassy? I'm assuming they should stayover in Manila between the medical exam and the interview, am I thinking right?

2. If I go, how much of all of that should I be there for? My preference would be to let her go thru the interview with the support of her aunt and girlfriend, then fly back to Cebu with them, then fly here alone. Actually, if money was no issue and if I had all the time in the world, I would love to be with her every step of the way. Particularly the flight post-visa process to the USA. What are you thoughts regarding all of this?

3. Depending on the decisions made about Number 2 above, when should I book my flights? and her flights? any tips on where to book the flights and best ways to get that done? how about the problem with not knowing for sure when her visa is actually in her hands and she is definitely ready to fly?

As you can see, I have a million questions. But I am confident someone on this forum has dealt with this before and can give me advice on what to do and what not to do. Thanks and the best to you all!

as far as attending the interview and flyiny back with her, I know this isn't much help, but it's a matter of personal circumstances and preferences.

for hotel in Manila, I heard Cherry Blossoms Hotel is convenient to St Lukes and the Embassy. It has reasonable rates.

on airfare, you will usually get better discounts if you book a month in advance. My wife and daughter flew here on PAL. usually you can get a first time immigrant discount if you mention she's a K-1. I booked with LBC Travel, so was also able to prepay the Travel tax since LBC is a Philippine corp.

the cost for my wife and daughter to fly from Davao to Manila to SFO was about $1300.

best of luck with the rest of your journey. :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

My fiancee is from Cebu. Her medical exam in Manila is July 26, her interview at the US Embassy is August 2. I am trying to figure out the best ways to get thru all of this and get her here without spending a million pesos to get it done. She really wants me there for the interview to support her, but that would involve being in the Phils from August 1 until her visa is in her hands (I assume back in Cebu) ... maybe a 10 day trip at minimum for me. From those that have been thru this before, can you give me some advice?

1. She will probably fly to Manila with her aunt and a girlfriend. Where should they stay that is a decent place, not expensive, yet close to St. Lukes and to the US Embassy? I'm assuming they should stayover in Manila between the medical exam and the interview, am I thinking right?

LOTS of hotels near both!

My wife and anak stayed at The Lotus Garden [5 min. walk to St.Lukes.] for medical P2900 and Bayview [across street from USEM]for interview. 3100P.

You can get cheaper. Miramar, Sorriente and many more.

2. If I go, how much of all of that should I be there for? My preference would be to let her go thru the interview with the support of her aunt and girlfriend, then fly back to Cebu with them, then fly here alone. Actually, if money was no issue and if I had all the time in the world, I would love to be with her every step of the way. Particularly the flight post-visa process to the USA. What are you thoughts regarding all of this?

Guys that go sometimes just stay in Manila with lady and have visa delivered to their hotel. [Hopefully].

No need relatives to go with her then!

3. Depending on the decisions made about Number 2 above, when should I book my flights? and her flights? any tips on where to book the flights and best ways to get that done? how about the problem with not knowing for sure when her visa is actually in her hands and she is definitely ready to fly?

It's a ####### shoot!

You can always reschedule for a small fee. Fly PAL Mabuhay and you can for free.

Go for the first time immigrant discount also.

As you can see, I have a million questions. But I am confident someone on this forum has dealt with this before and can give me advice on what to do and what not to do. Thanks and the best to you all!

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I understand the difficuties presented to you, I am going through the same thing.

1. My Mary is from Cebu also, and she will be flying in to Manila on the 25th, and take her medical on the 26th. She will just stay there in Manila, since she will just have to be there again the following week for her interview.

2. Though I wanted to be there for her on this important day, we have decided, it would be best for me to stay home.

3. We are going to wait for her to be told she is approved before we purchase the tickets.

I wish you and your SO good luck on the medical and interview.

OUR TIMELINE

MARCH 7, 2007 - SENT I-129F TO CSC

MARCH 13, 2007- NOA1

MARCH 19, 2007- REC'D BY SNAIL MAIL

May 23, 2007- APPROVED!

May 24, 2007- Rec'd e mail stating I was approved on the 23rd!!!!

May 29, 2007- Arrives at NVC

May 30, 2007- Called NVC and received MNL#

May 31, 2007- Left NVC headed to MANILA

June 4, 2007- Petition Arrives at USE Manila

June 12, 2007- Packet Mailed from Manila

June 25, 2007- Rec'd Packet

July 27, 2007- Medical appointment Aug. 3, 2007- August 3rd Interview, APPROVED!!! 149 days from filing!!!

Sept. 7,2007- Mary will be landing in LAX

I'm from cebu too....if she wants to fly in a cheapest fare...try to look cebu pacific they have promotions 50%off back and forth. then juliano hotel (850pesos) per night, tropical hotel (900pesos per night)and southern cross hotel 1200pesos per night) are cheapest hotel just a walking distance from st. lukes and u.s embassy clean and decent. interview is just quick and easy...well nervous is normal...lol...friend and auntie is not allowed inside st. lukes and u.s embassy too.....i understand its hard to be alone in manila but she needs to strong and independent.. GOOD LUCK.

jazzy

4-26-06 Married Cebu, Philippines

I-130 (wife & step daughter)

5-05-06 sent

5-08-06 received

5-20-06 Noa#1 (notice date)

5-25-06 Noa#1 (mail recieved)

5-31-06 (touched)

7-12-06 (touched) received email....cases transfered to CSC

7-13-06 (touched)

7-17-06 received NOA in mail (transfer notice)

7-19-06 CSC received petitions

7-20-06 (touched)

7-21-06 (touched)

7-22-06 (touched)

8-03-06 APPROVED (via email)

8-04-06 (touched)

8-06-06 (touched)

8-08-06 received NOA#2 in mail(sent to NVC)

NVC

8-17-06 NVC received and assigned case #s

8-28-06 ds-3032 and aos bill generated (sent out same day)

9-06-06 ds-3032 accepted (email) - resent for cr-2

9-18-06 IV bills received and express mailed

9-20-06 received AOS in mail

9-21-06 AOS sent

9-23-06 (touched)...weird

9-25-06 ds-230 generated

9-30-06 ds-230 received in mail

10-3-06 ds-230 mailed to nvc

10-17-06 CASE COMPLETE!!!

12-26-06 Case sent to manila

12-30-06 Rececieved Packet 4

2-01-07 St. Lukes complete

2-8-07 INTERVIEW!!!!!! AR-need to submit photos of step daughter

2-10-07 Mailed photos to embassy

2-13-07 Photos arrive at embassy

2-21-07 Photos made it out of mail room to case worker!!

3-07-07 Delbros text...VISAS released from embassy

3-09-07 VISAS IN HAND!!!!!!!!

3-29-07 Arrived in Newark (POE)

I booked Claudeth and her Mom into the Bayview for a week and it wasn't too terribly expensive, about $168. I used reservation@hoteltravel.com My friend always stays at the Swagman but it is not quite what the Bayview is.

Claudeth bought her plane ticket there, it was about $150 cheaper than what I could get it for.

Edited by jasman0717

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

All I can say is helping your sweetheart immigrate to be with you is expensive....no other way to put it. She is worth every peso, but its still expensive. :P In response to your questions:

Question 1: I think Jazzy had cheaper hotels than anything I am aware of, so that sounds good to me as far as price. The only other way is if you can get a Cebu Pacific fare special, it might be cheaper to fly her there and back for each appointment. You will have to do the math when you decide on a hotel and then check out plane tickets. I flew them (her and Ate) back after the medical as it was cheaper for me that way, but I was meeting her for her interview at the embassy.

Question 2: I let my sweetie go with her Ate to the medical and then I met her just for the interview. The USC going to the interview is a personal choice that involves both time and money. If you have both the time and the money, I would say go to the interview. If you are lacking either, she can go it alone if she has all her papers in order. Many girls on this site have gone alone and been approved, so its not like she will be denied if you don't show up. On the other hand, I had both time and money and did not think twice about going to the interview. My sweetheart really appreciated it and felt more confident with me there....even if we both were a ball of nerves on the inside. Again, its really a personal choice based on time and money.

Question 3: As far as a flight for you if you go there...the sooner the better once you have the interview date in hand. As far as her flight to the USA....I say wait till visa is in hand, but I know a lot of people on this site risk it and quess at a date. Some make it, some don't and have to rebook flights at an additional expense. I made the deal with my sweetie that if I came to her interview, she would fly here to the USA alone so I didn't have to come there twice. That way I came for 8 days during her interview and then went home. We waited for her visa to arrive and then I bought her ticket once I knew she had it already. Otherwise, you are really playing russian roulette. It only takes one small missed detail and you end up in AR waiting 4-6 weeks. I also agree with jasman0717...let her buy her ticket there in the PI and send her the money. I also saved about $150 USD this way over any ticket I could buy here in the USA.

Just my opinions so take them for what they are worth to you. Good luck!

Scott (and Mirasol)

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i am also from cebu and i would like to share to you my thoughts about your querry..

if you plan to let her travel in the US alone, then it is the best time for her to start being on trip alone..perhaps, if it helps her to have company, one is enough..in this way you will save money for air fare and other expenses in Manila...

san carlos mansion hotel has a rates 850, 950, 1100 & 1350 pesos. 1100 pesos has already a kitchen & living room..it is clean, nice and an affordable place to stay.. tropical hotel, palm plaza hotel can also be a pick..

for her Cebu-Manila flight, book her 2 or 3 weeks in advance to get the lowest possible airfare.. Cebu Pacific has always the lowest fare BUT i will also suggest to check PAL's promo/discount fare coz there are times when they have fare around PHP 1600-1900.. i love centenial II over the domestic airport..hehhehe..

for you being there in the interview is a good moral support but NOT a must....a lot of girls here, including myself, was approved without their fiance's presence...in our case, we initially agreed that my fiance (husband now) will be there during my interview but we later on agreed to save the money for future use..so, i was in my medical and interview alone...just normal to be very nervous and to have a lot of apprehensions or a lot of what if's...but if your documents are complete and well-organized it will turn out easy...hehee

for my ticket in going here, my fiance bought it the day after my interview (consul said we're approved)...got my visa after 4 working days from my interview.. just a good timing coz my flight was 9 working days after my interview...he booked me thru www.travelph.com for $746 (MNL-SFO)...i was with EVA airways....i think the PHP 1620 Filipino travel tax was already included in the payment since they never asked me to pay for it...i only paid the PHp750 terminal fee...

hope this helps...Godbless!

Marie

Edited by MarieandBryan

May 2007 - arrived in Texas

June 2007 - our "big day"

November 2007 - 2-yr GC received

December 2009 - 10-yr GC received

Citizenship by next year!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very Expensive.

Goodluck and Godbless for the up coming medical and interview.

Are you going to pay the flight fare of your fiancee Aunt and girlfriend?

I think your fiancee can do it for herself going to manila.I know that she can do it alone.Just have confident in herself.

In my case I live in the province(Bicol region) .it is a 10 hours drive by bus.I went to Manila alone during my medical.I stayed at my nearest relatives in the metropolis(ask your fiancee if she has relatives in the metropolis to stay).If she has relatives in the metropolis it would be better.You do not need to travel here in Philippines to support her during the interview.TRUST her .She can do it, just trust herself.You know the interview process takes only 5 minutes.She can do it.

My fiance only give me $250(fee for medical,delbros and visa application).

I did not ask more money, because I dont want asking money.Our relationship is not about money, it is about love.A long term relationship

.Budgetting is very important

My advice is , you should tell your fiancee to go alone in Manila .what is the purpose why her girlfriend wants to go with her in Manila?

I am telling this for you to save money.just gave her enough money for her medical and interview and other expenses.believe me .your fiance will trust herself if you trust her.

Godbless

I am from Cebu too. My interview is on Aug 6. My fiance and I decided to have my medical earlier than scheduled, so I have to go to Manila twice, July for medical and Aug for my interview. However, I only have my father as a chaperon for fiance don't want me to go to Manila alone.

My father is a senior citizen and PAL gave us 20% discount (must show his senior citizen ID card) on his plane fares...20% on each flight. Fiance gave me the money and I bought our tickers here at the PAL office for it is a lot cheaper than doing it himself over the internet. All in all, on both my upcoming trips to Manila, fiance was able to save 50% than what we estimated based on the current price on the internet. On top of my father's 40% discount, we also enjoyed the early booking flight fares/prices.

We will be staying at the Cherry Blossoms Hotel per recommendation from friends. Room rate is 1950.00 pesos per day good for two (two beds in a room) and that includes breakfast. That's a saving also. Their room rate for single occupancy is 1300.00 or 1515.00 pesos per day. I did the reservation myself too. Internet prices is expensive.

My fiance is not coming with me for the interview. I am on my own. We decided to wait until I will have my visa on hand before purchasing a ticket for me and for himself. He will come to Cebu to pick me and we will fly back together to the US. And as for my ticket to US, we will purchase it here in Cebu, a lot cheaper.

We list everything I possibly gonna need and compute the expenses based on the current prices. Then fiance gave me the money. TRUST and HONESTY are very important and makes the expenses a lot less than doing everything online. And yet it is still very expensive.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and God bless!

Edited by Bernie4Bien

I am from Cebu too. My interview is on Aug 6. My fiance and I decided to have my medical earlier than scheduled, so I have to go to Manila twice, July for medical and Aug for my interview. However, I only have my father as a chaperon for fiance don't want me to go to Manila alone.

My father is a senior citizen and PAL gave us 20% discount (must show his senior citizen ID card) on his plane fares...20% on each flight. Fiance gave me the money and I bought our tickers here at the PAL office for it is a lot cheaper than doing it himself over the internet. All in all, on both my upcoming trips to Manila, fiance was able to save 50% than what we estimated based on the current price on the internet. On top of my father's 40% discount, we also enjoyed the early booking flight fares/prices.

We will be staying at the Cherry Blossoms Hotel per recommendation from friends. Room rate is 1950.00 pesos per day good for two (two beds in a room) and that includes breakfast. That's a saving also. Their room rate for single occupancy is 1300.00 or 1515.00 pesos per day. I did the reservation myself too. Internet prices is expensive.

My fiance is not coming with me for the interview. I am on my own. We decided to wait until I will have my visa on hand before purchasing a ticket for me and for himself. He will come to Cebu to pick me and we will fly back together to the US. And as for my ticket to US, we will purchase it here in Cebu, a lot cheaper.

We list everything I possibly gonna need and compute the expenses based on the current prices. Then fiance gave me the money. TRUST and HONESTY are very important and makes the expenses a lot less than doing everything online. And yet it is still very expensive.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and God bless!

Hi,

I'm from Cebu also. Although I still don't have my medical and interview schedule, I'm hoping it will be next month too. And I'm also planning to book at Cherry Blossoms. Can you be kind enough to give me their telephone numbers? I've heard that they have a decent and clean place but with a cheaper price. Thanks a lot.

Wow, a lot of people from Cebu! I have the time of my life in Cebu! Woo Woo :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Hi,

I'm from Cebu also. Although I still don't have my medical and interview schedule, I'm hoping it will be next month too. And I'm also planning to book at Cherry Blossoms. Can you be kind enough to give me their telephone numbers? I've heard that they have a decent and clean place but with a cheaper price. Thanks a lot.

Sure BabyCakes.

Cherry Blossoms Hotel contact number(s): (632) 524-7631 to 36. You can also e-mail them. Their e-mail address is blossoms@i-manila.com. If you want them to pick you up from the airport going to the hotel, the charge is 600.00 pesos.

Good luck and may you have your medical and interview schedules soon! :thumbs:

Edited by Bernie4Bien

Hi,

Sure BabyCakes.

Cherry Blossoms Hotel contact number(s): (632) 524-7631 to 36. You can also e-mail them. Their e-mail address is blossoms@i-manila.com. If you want them to pick you up from the airport going to the hotel, the charge is 600.00 pesos.

Good luck and may you have your medical and interview schedules soon! :thumbs:

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Godspeed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.