kev_n_jena

phils calling card quality

15 posts in this topic

Hi Phils residents,

Just wondering, if you have a partner in the USA do they ever uses calling cards? I bought 20$ worth of cards online one time and the quality was so poor I didn't even use up the minutes. We couldn't understand each other with all the echoes.

I'm wondering if there are better quality services out there. I searched for calling card reviews for the phils but haven't had any luck. I've been using my CP at 20 cents per min. with my international plan but now my parents want to call us when I'm there in phils and they don't have the international plan on their phone service.

I'm taking my phone with me so I will have one in the states while in other airports. Last time I left it with them and its a nightmare using payphones.

Just looking for good quality phone card with less echo for phils calls. Price is not the most important thing, it's quality.

Kevin

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I use mobilecaller.com .. the call quality is good, the price is reasonable, it is very easy to make calls, and you can reload the card online very easily.

The process ..

goto http://www.mobilecaller.com

click on "philippines" on the right side of the screen

click on "select" under "mobile asia" at the far right (the 10 cent option)

enter your email address and password

... the rest of initial setup is self explanatory ..

to setup the speed dial entries, change your security code, and reload the card simply login with the email address and password that you supplied earlier ..

to make calls, put the toll free access number in your phone, call it .. enter the security code .. enter the speed dial number followed by the # sign .. (for example if you make your security code 123 and your speed dial is 1 then you would dial the 800 number, wait for someome to talk then push 1231# and it will connect fairly quickly)

I have in my speed dial numbers ..

1 Mylene globe cell phone

2 Mylene smart cell phone

3 Mylene's housekeepers phone

4 SLEC

5 US Embassy Manila

so much easier than entering all of those numbers.

Hope this has been of some help!

CB

a couple of bad thing about the card, it bills on 3 minute cycles which is bad if you will make multiple short phone calls .. also, if you load with less than $20 there is a fee associated with the load

Edited by CountryBoy

Donnie and Sylvia

I used Sarimonok One. Yazi is now using it to call family and friends. the rate is more expensive, but the quality is good and only charged for time used. I know some have had good experience with mobilecaller, but I would not personally recommend it. I was constantly being charged at a higher rate than the plan I signed up for and got tired of calling customer service for credit.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline
I used Sarimonok One. Yazi is now using it to call family and friends. the rate is more expensive, but the quality is good and only charged for time used. I know some have had good experience with mobilecaller, but I would not personally recommend it. I was constantly being charged at a higher rate than the plan I signed up for and got tired of calling customer service for credit.

Kevin,

Your cell phone international rates are lower than sarimanok one rates. 23 cents to phillipine cell phone.

http://www.tfc-na.com/telecom/sarimanok/sa..._one/index.html

Instructions from the link above ..

To use your Sarimanok One card dial the toll free number listed on the back of your card and listen for instructions. You will be asked for your card number, pin, and the phone number you wish to call. For domestic calls, dial 1 plus the area code and phone number. For international calls, dial 011 plus the country code, city code, and phone number. To place another call, do not hang up. Press the pound key twice and wait for instructions. This information is also on the back of your phone card.

seems like alot of number punching considering you want something easy for your mother to use.

I won't deny that I have called mobilecaller.com for a credit on one occasion, but for all of the time that it has worked great for me that was a minor inconvenience.

I did forget to mention one thing on my previous post. You can list multiple phones numbers that can use your mobile caller account, simply log on, add them in your control panel, and give them their personal pin number .. caller ID recognizes the number as an allowed user. You have to do this for the phone that your mother will be using if you go with this option.

CB

Edited by CountryBoy

Donnie and Sylvia

Timeline

Kevin,

This one looks cheaper by almost half .. 6 cents a minute but it doesn't state if that is calling a land line or cell phone. There is a HUGE price difference with other cards that I have used when it comes to that. Again alot of numbers to enter it would seem.

From the website for the Real Minutes Card (cheapest option) ..

Real Minutes

1. DIAL:

(866) 203-5072 English

(866) 203-5072 Spanish

2. ENTER: Your PIN#

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

3. ENTER: Your Destination.

USA & Canada:

1+Area Code + Telephone

OTHER COUNTRIES:

011+Country Code+City Code+Telephone.

3 MINUTE ROUNDING. $.49 WEEKLY MAINTENANCE FEE APPLIES. EXPIRES 3 MONTHS FROM PURCHASE. TAXES APPLY REDUCING THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF MINUTES. RATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.

I know that you are leaving for Manila Tuesday morning, so I am trying to help you make the most educated decision when it comes to this issue since your mother will be the one calling you in Phils.

By the way, if you choose to go with mobilecaller.com you might want your SO to get you a sim card now and put a load on it so that you can enter that number as a speed dial number online before you leave .. you could even have your fiancee put the sim in her phone and let your mother go thru the process of calling her so that she knows the process. :thumbs:

Donnie and Sylvia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Phils residents,

Just wondering, if you have a partner in the USA do they ever uses calling cards? I bought 20$ worth of cards online one time and the quality was so poor I didn't even use up the minutes. We couldn't understand each other with all the echoes.

I'm wondering if there are better quality services out there. I searched for calling card reviews for the phils but haven't had any luck. I've been using my CP at 20 cents per min. with my international plan but now my parents want to call us when I'm there in phils and they don't have the international plan on their phone service.

I'm taking my phone with me so I will have one in the states while in other airports. Last time I left it with them and its a nightmare using payphones.

Just looking for good quality phone card with less echo for phils calls. Price is not the most important thing, it's quality.

Kevin

WWW.MASTERBELL.COM

Timeline
Hi Phils residents,

Kevin

WWW.MASTERBELL.COM

Looks like a good choice as well; reasonable rates to cell phones, pinless dialing for some cards, some of the fine print is a little questionable on some cards (maintenance fees, etc.), cannot find any cards with speed dial option but that isn't so say that it isn't available .. if that is not an option, then your mother will still have to enter the full number into the phone when prompted (ex. 01163906232....), I have no first hand knowledge of the call quality so I cannot comment on echos etc.

Donnie and Sylvia

• 3 years later...

I hated using the calling cards. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

I use Rebtel. No fuss. No hassle. No pin numbers. Just add money to account.

Call to cell phone is $0.13. My account is set up to reload $10.00 when money runs out.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Laya cards are good too. 8 cents/minute landline or 14 cents/minute for cell. Is rechargeable, and has speed dial. Call quality is better than most!

can we use these calling cards as evidence of ongoing relationship?

Nope. There's no written proof of the numbers called.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

can we use these calling cards as evidence of ongoing relationship?

you might be able to on this service... http://www.netinternet.net/residential/DialAround_service.html#

you have to sign up and can re-charge in $20 increments online or by calling their customer service. no expiration on your credits/minutes. no hidden fees. i think it's 12 cents per minute calling a landline. call quality is great (from my own experience). and when you sign into your account, you have a link on usage. and it will give you a list of the number(s) you dialed/called using your account and how many minutes you talked with that person at the number you called. i used to use this until i found another calling service that works for me for my wife's bayantel line in the Philippines.

Edited by TravellingNomad

I-130 for wife and kids

---------------------------------------------

02/11/2010: I-130 as an LPR mailed certified

02/25/2010: Recvd letters-I-130s was recvd

06/17/2010: Oathtaking - Became a US Citizen

06/21/2010: Called USCIS to let them know to update my I-130 from an LPR petition to a USC petition.

06/25/2010: Case for both sons Touched

06/28/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Oldest son)

06/30/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Wife & youngest son)

07/19/2010: G-325A returned. Incomplete.

07/30/2010: Completed G-325A mailed back via certified mail

08/04/2010: Certified mail delivered at Laguna Niguel

08/07/2010: Touched - UCSIC received reply to RFE

08/13/2010: I-130 APPROVED!!! (recvd email update)

NVC JOURNEY

08/20/2010: NVC recvd I-130 and case number assigned

09/01/2010: Recvd AOS fee bill & DS-3032 via email

09/02/2010: Paid AOS fee & DS-3032 sent back via email

09/13/2010: AOS packet mailed via UPS

09/15/2010: AOS signed for by NVC. IV fee for wife & kids ready.

10/07/2010: Per AVR/NVC - Need to correct I864W for kids

10/11/2010: DS-230 packet & corrected I-864W sent to NVC via UPS

10/15/2010: Recvd and signed for by NVC

11/02/2010: NVC online fee payment portal SIF. NVC adviced that final stages of review.

11/03/2010: AVR - APPLICATION COMPLETED!!

11/10/2010: Medical...1st day at St. Luke's

11/12/2010: Pick up results for Medical - PASSED!

11/16/2010: USEM interview scheduled on 12/14/10

12/14/2010: VISAS APPROVED!!!!

12/20/2010: Visas received

02/22/2011: Cali bound

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I actually do it the other way around with my fiance. I use SUN Cellular IDD prepaid cards to call him. 100 pesos lasts about 40 minutes and the line never breaks off. Jordan's an AT&T subscriber and we've never had any connection problems. I hope this helps.

Toni

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

We use rebtel...I think it is a pretty good deal and easy to use. 13 cents a min to a cell phone and 11 cents a min to a landline.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.