TheK1Journey

RFE Name Difference

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi! We received RFE because my fiance is registered in USA as John Smith ( 1 last name) and in CR , he is registered as John Smith Perez (2 last names). 

They are requesting evidence to prove that John Smith and John Smith Perez are in fact, just one person.

RFE letter states:

" Evidence of name change may include but is not limited to: government issued identification containing a photo for each name; birth certificate; marriage certificate; divorce decree; death certificate (of the spouse whose name you used); adoption decree; or court order. The evidence must be registered with a civil authority"

We are wondering if it is enough just to send the copy of his Costa Rican ID (that includes his photo) along with his US passport bio page to prove it is in fact the same person or if we need any other documentation.

Thanks

Just now, TheK1Journey said:

He was born in USA, and then registered in CR.

Oh, that makes sense. 

I would send his US passport and if possible a copy of his birth certificate. I'm guessing the last name added was his mother's last name and her name should appear on the birth certificate, so you can explain this in a note. Then, yes, you can send the national ID and say that the photos and date of birth match. If his parents are the ones who registered him at the consulate or there was some other process involved, you can explain that in the note.

Basically, I'd write a letter along with the documentation you send. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Oh, that makes sense. 

I would send his US passport and if possible a copy of his birth certificate. I'm guessing the last name added was his mother's last name and her name should appear on the birth certificate, so you can explain this in a note. Then, yes, you can send the national ID and say that the photos and date of birth match. If his parents are the ones who registered him at the consulate or there was some other process involved, you can explain that in the note.

Basically, I'd write a letter along with the documentation you send. 

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.