Sheriff Uling

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide (Your comments)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide Poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Has the K1 Visa guide been a benefit?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral (No Sure)
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

55 posts in this topic

If you find something that needs to be updated in the Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide, please shoot me a PM so we can stay as up to date as possible. Thanks a bunch...

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee' and i just finished the visa process and her sister had just gotten her K3 the week before. The Guide and this forum was useful to us so I thought I would share some additional things we learned in the process that might be useful to others and as additions or updates to the Guide.

1. Medical. Once the appointment is scheduled it is possible to just show up (no need to call) prior to the appointment date at St. Lukes with required documents and get the medical done. We especially recommend doing this if children are to accompany. At least in our case they required her son to have allergy test prior to getting his shots, which will add 3 days to the process (started on Tuesday and finished up with his shots on Friday). This could be a real problem if you do not go early, as the results might not reach embassy before interview. And, also if coming in from a distant province. Now a real trick to minimize having to wait all morning to get the medical done is to show up after lunch. Most everyone is finished and you can breeze through the process.

Oh, and the x-ray. You don't need that anymore after the medical. St Lukes tells all that you need it when entering the USA. And we saw many carrying it to the interview and CFO. Became laughable after a while.

2. Packet Requirements. NSO certificate is now required to show no previous marriage. All should know that it takes about 3 weeks after application for it to be ready for pick up. (Manila). We had less than that amount of time between receipt of packet and interview date but luckily we had prepared all in advance, thanks to the Guide and the sample packet.

3. Interview Process. 7:30 appointment on Appointment Letter does not mean you actually have an appointment for that time. We got there at 7:05 and found out it is first-come first-serve. Don't know when they opened the doors but we were towards the end of the line inside. Have to sit and wait and the guards will have row by row get up to get in line to get a number. Got ours about 10. We were 7131. Highest I think was 7146. Appears they have gauged the number than can complete by noon time because after that they go to lunch and appears they just do paper work after lunch. Got to the pre-interview about 11:40. Seems they only wanted to know how we met. Interview with consular officer was pleasant. I guess it helped that I was there. Requested to pickup visa in person. (worked okay for us, but probably the exception. We learned once again that 'ready' means you have to wait all day, and maybe even come back the next day)

4. DS156. Apparently non-electronic DS-156 is still ok. Couple sitting in front of us awaiting interview had used paper copy and became concerned when they heard us making comment about the electronic form. They went and asked and were told it was ok. Regardless, we recommend all to follow the guide and use the electronic form.

5. Photos. Packet says to include 2 photos. We just had ours in a zip lock bag, but while waiting for interview saw others had affixed to DS156 and DS157?. They had glue available (appears this is a common confusion) so we took care of it while waiting. A few others had gone up to the window to get their number without the photos attached and to go fix it and come back (saw one petitioner get really pissed off about it. Hey could do it there so not that big of a deal).

7. CFO. Can be done while in Manila to get medical. They (CFO workers) are resistant to let you do this but it can be done. Then just need to go back once visa is in hand to get certified stamp. Worked good for us as we picked up visa at embassy. But ran into additional hassle as they require minors 13 - 19 yrs old to also get CFO. So, one more day there for us. By the way, any attending the CFO seminar/consuling should just ignore all that they hear there. The presenters don't have a clue what they are talking about and spread nothing but disinformation.

8. Delbros. The sister had hers delivered. Took 2 weeks to get it in Bulacan. Appears special delivery is not special. Don't know it for a fact but appears they save up and send many to a region at a time, to make a few pesos on the side.

9. Brown Envelope. Saw some coming back to embassy because they had opened it. I see someone had already posted opening just the plastic and not the brown paper envelope. Caution: keep away from family members. niece almost accidentally opened the sisters envelope.

Side notes. Got through immigration with no hassles and without having them dig through our bags the usual two times at the Manila airport. (so tired of that. they were still doing it in Sept., don't know when that finally ended. or maybe it was just an off day). But now they are hassling you about carry-on bag weight. 7kg limit. But only Filipinos it appeared. I walked right thru with my 20kg carry-on. Guess it made up a little for the hassle us foreigners have to go through with the taxi drivers. In the last 10 yrs, I've spent the better part of 1-1/2 years in the Philippines so I'm no newbie. Not bitter, just had all I could handle with the Manila and surrounding area traffic, pollution and bureaucratic hassles. Maybe some day we will go back, but to a remote province on a nice beach.

Good Luck to all.

B)-->

QUOTE(Bill B @ Nov 14 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Qullyracer,

Thank you for sharing the experiences.

Absolutely!!! That is the very essence and strength of this website... IMO!

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

The info you have provided will be forever appreciated! Thank You Sheriff Uling for making Ruchie's Manila Quest a little less stressful....... Again, I say THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

The info you have provided will be forever appreciated! Thank You Sheriff Uling for making Ruchie's Manila Quest a little less stressful....... Again, I say THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

No problem! Thanks for the love and I'm pleased that the guide was a blessing for you. It's rewarding to be able to give back and to leave a worthwhile legacy that folks can hopefully benefit from... To me, that's part of what life is all about...

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

NOTE TO ALL: Section 7.2 has a link to a list of things to consider in "Preparation for Adjusting to Life in the United States" if you are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a good catch by Tim Y. :thumbs: the new 650p document verification fee. perhaps it's something that could be added to the Guide

http://usembassy.state.gov/manila/wwwh3023.html

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

• 3 months later...

Phil-Am Families:

Based upon the recent updates to the process and the new Packet 4, please take a glance at the guide (particulary Sections 4.3, 4.6, and 4.7, which are most effected by the recent changes) and let me know if there is anything that you feel should be added or amended.

Thank you so much in helping to keep this guide a viable tool for our VJ Members.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Edited by Sheriff Uling

Your k1 visa guides have been most helpful to me, especially when we were starting out and was totally confused about the process. Your guide and the general vj guide has been my point of reference since day 1. Now that it is newly updated and with its side notes, I am sure others who are also starting and those who just received the NOA2 will find it most helpful... more than the USEM website alone.

From my heart and my fiance's heart, our biggest appreciation for all the hard work that you must have put into doing the guides. KUDOS to you! :thumbs:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

dbears -

Thanks a bunch!!!

Cheers...

Sheriff Uling

p.s. - I would like to thank everyone for their support in keeping the data as viable as possible. God Bless...

Hi sheriff, thanks for this useful guide

Do you know if the US embassy in Manila sends out a letter or a notice to the fiance(e) to inform her/him that they received the application and it's ok to schedule a visa interview? Some applicants here are posting that the embassy doesn't send any packets to the beneficiary anymore? I wanna know if this is true.

I know the embassy in manila has this new appointment system that you can call or go online to schedule an appointment for a visa interview but I'm not sure if they still notify the beneficiary in the philippines OR he/she needs to call the embassy to confirm if they have the application already. I was just confused and amazed that on their website they have all the forms ad packets needed.

My Wife's Timeline

Naturalization (N-400)

Service Center: USCIS Dallas Lockbox

EVENT/DATE

Filing Date:

NOA Date:

Biometrics Appt Date:

Interview Date:

Approved:

Oath Ceremony Date:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky&Chat (K1) AOS & EAD

Service Center : California Service Center
EVENT/ DATE

Date of Flight to US: AUGUST 13, 2008 ARRIVED!(A NEW JOURNEY BEGINS...)
Date of Marriage: AUGUST 20. 2008
SSN Card Received: SEPTEMBER 25, 2008
AOS & EAD Application: OCTOBER 28, 2008
Case Transfer CSC: NOVEMBER 19, 2008
Biometrics Appointment: DECEMBER 3, 2008
Case Pending at CSC: JANUARY 2, 2009
EAD Approved: JANUARY 9, 2009
EAD Card Received: JANUARY 12, 2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Sheriff Uling!

Just checked the "What to bring during the visa interview." for K1. Found out that CENOMAR is not included on the list. Almost everyone who just had their interview were asked to submit their CENOMAR. Also for the Birth Certificate, would it be better to specify it as "NSO Authenticated" because I have my original BC but is not NSO authenticated. I heard that what is required by USE is NSO authenticated.

Thank you for creating this website. It is such a big help. :thumbs:

-Riza

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

ikhing:

(Q) - Do you know if the US embassy in Manila sends out a letter or a notice to the fiancé(e) to inform her/him that they received the application and it's ok to schedule a visa interview?

(A) - I'm not sure about the current practice/policy on notifying the beneficiary that the hard copy package of the case file had been received from the NVC and that they may proceed with scheduling their visa interview/medical exam. Prior to the March 2008 update, it was the USE's practice to send notification to the beneficiary. I recommend a continued follow-up with the USE to ensure the hard copy package file had been received by the USE so that you can move forward with scheduling the visa interview/medical exam. If you discover any news on what the USE is doing, please let me know.

RyaNRiza:

(Q/S) - Just checked the "What to bring during the visa interview." for K1. Found out that CENOMAR is not included on the list.

(A) - I added as a recommendation to obtain a CERNOMAR (original/NSO Authenticated) because as of the Feb 2007 version of Packet 4 and even the recent version, the CENOMAR is no longer listed as required document, but some beneficiaries have been asked if they have a copy (as you have stated). Thanks for the info and if you come across anything else that can be updated... please let me know.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Edited by Sheriff Uling

Hey Sheriff Thanks,

It turns out they still do notify the beneficiary. My fiancee received a letter (no more packets) from the embassy yesterday telling her that she's ready to schedule an interview and some instructions on how to download print out the packet and forms. So she called and got the may 21 interview :thumbs:

Also the embassy said that the beneficiaries do not have to wait for the letter to arrive, as long as the application is accepted by the embassy from NVC you can go ahead and schedule your interview appointment.

So no more packets in the mail only a single page letter...packets and forms can be obtained from their website.

Thanks again!

K-1 Visa iKHiNG & CHaT’s Timeline

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

EVENT DATE

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-02-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-20

NVC Received : 2008-03-22

NVC Left : 2008-03-26

Consulate Received : ??

Packet 3 Received : 2008-04-09

Medical Exam: 2008-05-14

Interview Date: 2008-05-21

ikhing:

(Q) - Do you know if the US embassy in Manila sends out a letter or a notice to the fiancé(e) to inform her/him that they received the application and it's ok to schedule a visa interview?

(A) - I'm not sure about the current practice/policy on notifying the beneficiary that the hard copy package of the case file had been received from the NVC and that they may proceed with scheduling their visa interview/medical exam. Prior to the March 2008 update, it was the USE's practice to send notification to the beneficiary. I recommend a continued follow-up with the USE to ensure the hard copy package file had been received by the USE so that you can move forward with scheduling the visa interview/medical exam. If you discover any news on what the USE is doing, please let me know.

Edited by ikhing

My Wife's Timeline

Naturalization (N-400)

Service Center: USCIS Dallas Lockbox

EVENT/DATE

Filing Date:

NOA Date:

Biometrics Appt Date:

Interview Date:

Approved:

Oath Ceremony Date:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky&Chat (K1) AOS & EAD

Service Center : California Service Center
EVENT/ DATE

Date of Flight to US: AUGUST 13, 2008 ARRIVED!(A NEW JOURNEY BEGINS...)
Date of Marriage: AUGUST 20. 2008
SSN Card Received: SEPTEMBER 25, 2008
AOS & EAD Application: OCTOBER 28, 2008
Case Transfer CSC: NOVEMBER 19, 2008
Biometrics Appointment: DECEMBER 3, 2008
Case Pending at CSC: JANUARY 2, 2009
EAD Approved: JANUARY 9, 2009
EAD Card Received: JANUARY 12, 2009

FYR - I also updated Section 4.6 of the Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.