MordecaiRigby

Does the spouse need to applicant me to the naturalization interview?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi guys, I need your advice.
My naturalization interview is scheduled for Monday, February 24 in Arizona. I applied based on the 3-year rule.
My husband just found out that his step-grandfather died and the funeral will be the same day as my interview, in Iowa.
Originally my husband was planning to come with me to Phoenix, to the USCIS office. While we understand that he wouldn't be able to be with me during the interview, I've read that it's good to show the USCIS officer that the spouse was willing to be there for you (especially if applying under the 3-year rule) even if they are just sitting in the waiting room.
How much do you think it really matters? Do you think that my husband's absence at my interview will jeopardize my naturalization in any way? Does it matter at all? I can imagine that many people don't attend their spouse's interview appointments due to work/school/childcare etc.
I can also probably print out the obituary and take with me to the interview to show that my husband had a very good reason not to be there with me.
What do you guys think?

January 2011 - met in USA

Sep 28, 2013 - wedding in Poland

USCIS:

Sep 23, 2015 - mailed I-130 package to Chicago lockbox

Nov 3, 2015 - I-130 approved (29 days from NOA1)

Nov 12, 2015 - received NOA2 via snail mail

NVC:

Jan 2, 2016 - DS-261 submitted

Feb 6, 2016 - DS-260 submitted

CONSULATE:

Apr 26, 2016 - medical exam

May 10, 2016 - interview at the Embassy in Warsaw, Poland - result: APPROVED!

May 16, 2016 - visa in hand

POE:

Jul 23, 2016 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

NATURALIZATION:

Dec 16, 2019 - filed N-400 online

Feb 24, 2020 - naturalization interview in Phoenix, AZ

Mar 10, 2020 - naturalization oath ceremony in Phoenix, AZ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I must have been in a great hurry when I was writing the topic. Obviously I meant "Does the spouse need to accompany the applicant to the naturalization interview". Oops, sorry!

January 2011 - met in USA

Sep 28, 2013 - wedding in Poland

USCIS:

Sep 23, 2015 - mailed I-130 package to Chicago lockbox

Nov 3, 2015 - I-130 approved (29 days from NOA1)

Nov 12, 2015 - received NOA2 via snail mail

NVC:

Jan 2, 2016 - DS-261 submitted

Feb 6, 2016 - DS-260 submitted

CONSULATE:

Apr 26, 2016 - medical exam

May 10, 2016 - interview at the Embassy in Warsaw, Poland - result: APPROVED!

May 16, 2016 - visa in hand

POE:

Jul 23, 2016 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

NATURALIZATION:

Dec 16, 2019 - filed N-400 online

Feb 24, 2020 - naturalization interview in Phoenix, AZ

Mar 10, 2020 - naturalization oath ceremony in Phoenix, AZ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.