notquitesurehow

Question About Filling Out the I-751 Form with a Divorce Waiver

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I am currently in the process of finalizing all my paperwork to send for Removal of Conditions with a Divorce Waiver. While even though I'm planning on sending everything this week, I still have plenty of questions. I thought I might at least try and clear the more simple ones out of the way as they could inevitably result in some issues. I was wondering how to answer a few questions on the I-751 Form, considering I am no longer married and have some issues figuring it out. 

For example, in Part 1, we have Questions 21 and 23 that I am in a lot of doubt about. Initially I was going to just mark "No" for both of them, however, since I am no longer married, should I technically reply with "N/A" to both instead? I already got some good advice on here regarding that, but am still in doubt and wanted to see if anybody who has filed the form with a waiver can help me out. I'm only afraid that if I write "N/A" to those questions, they might consider the form incomplete and reject it...

Q1.PNG.59608199e53b4b573a55a2abd1c3859c.PNG

The other question I had is, since filing with a waiver leaves you as the sole applicant, you do not fill out any of the info under Part 8, including contact information such as phone and email of the US Citizen, correct? As supposedly this is the field for them to fill out themselves if applicable? (I did enter the required information about ex-spouse in Part 4). 

Also in the question "Was a fee paid to anyone other than an attorney in connection to this petition?" should I select "N/A" if I didn't pay a lawyer or just "No"?

If anyone (preferably who has already filed) can help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated! I am going though the process myself as I cannot afford to hire a lawyer and it's been a scramble, but everyone's help on here has so far been amazing! 

- Questions 21 and 23:

The answer is N/A, per the instructions.

- Part 8:

As far as I know, Part 8 isn't needed for divorce waivers.

- "Was a fee paid to anyone other than an attorney in connection to this petition?":

The answer is either Yes or No.

"Yes" means you paid someone other than an attorney.   "No" means you didn't pay someone other than an attorney.

Edited by andy78
Clarified answer.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:22 PM, andy78 said:

- Questions 21 and 23:

The answer is N/A, per the instructions.

- Part 8:

As far as I know, Part 8 isn't needed for divorce waivers.

- "Was a fee paid to anyone other than an attorney in connection to this petition?":

The answer is either Yes or No.

"Yes" means you paid someone other than an attorney.   "No" means you didn't pay someone other than an attorney.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.