CharethScarn

Mother's name spelling mismatch

1 post in this topic

I filed Form I-130 and I-864 for my mother with her name spelled exactly like it is on my US birth certificate. I just paid the IV fee and I still haven't started on the DS-260, but I'm starting to find discrepancies across most of her documents.

1. The first name spelling on her current foreign passport does not match the one on my birth certificate: it's spelled with an extra letter "y" (XXXXyXX on passport and XXXXXX on birth certificate).

2. The last name or "surname" field is left blank on her passport but she has a last name on my birth certificate.

3. There is no middle name field on her passport and instead it's "husband name" but it does match her middle name on my birth certificate, although the passport has a space in that name and there isn't one on my birth certificate.

4. The DOB on her passport is not the same as the DOB on her old California DL from when she was here (which is the one I used to file the I-130 and I-864).

5. Her first name on her California DL and Social Security Card is the same as the one on my birth certificate, but her middle name on my birth certificate is now her last name on DL+SSC and the middle name is entirely different.

All the forms I've filed so far are according to her name spelling on my birth certificate. I know I have to get her to fix her first name spelling on her current passport and also the DOB. Is the last name/surname being blank on her passport going to be a problem? Or should I get her to add it on her passport regardless? What about the mismatch on her old DL + SSC? I imagine there's nothing I can do about those at this point.

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated, and apologies if the post is difficult to follow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.