Onthesteps

Name change on GC & I-90 processing times

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone.

I'm a permanent resident who divorced my citizen spouse after 7 years of tumultuous (some might say abusive) marriage. I re-settled in another state, got an amazing job, and things have been all around excellent. Except for my I-90.

I applied with my restored maiden name + all supporting documentation on May 2, got my biometrics scheduled on the 3rd, and went to my appointment on the 24th. So far so good.

However, I'm travelling to Canada in October and I'm worried I won't have it in time. I'm actually 90% sure I won't have it in time. 

I can't change my name on my SS card without the updated GC, and I can't get a state ID without the updated SS card, and can't get an updated Canadian passport without any form of updated ID (GC or state ID). So everything hinges on my GC showing up in time. 

If it does end up taking a whole damn year (like another poster on page 1 of this forum who is renewing), I suppose it's not the end of the world. I will just continue using the documents showing my married name and change everything after at my leisure. I would have to get my name changed on my airline tickets though, which is a bummer ($$$$), but manageable. 

My biggest concern is if it shows up without enough time to get my new passport. If it does and I have less than 30 days before travel, I think my plan is to send everything to my mom back home via courier at the fastest rate, have her submit the application package for me in person (which is allowed), and have her courier it back at the highest rate. I would send a check with the package for her to cover all the costs. Going that route, I could have the updated passport in hand within a week. Two weeks if Passport Canada doesn't allow the urgent expedition (travel date isn't soon enough), but allows express instead. 

Does it sound like I've missed anything? Anyone else had to deal with I-90s recently? Processing time jumped from minimum 5 months to 7 months the other day, and my heart dropped. What's going on at Potomac? Is there someone there that I can send pricey gift baskets to as a bribe?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.