Jump to content

Joint sponsor filing taxes jointly with wife (Wife is not a USC)

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, our joint sponsor is my husband's dad. His income is enough to sponsor me and our son. However, upon checking his tax returns, I saw that he's filing his taxes jointly with my mom in law. They don't live together as my mother in law is here in the PH with us, and she was not granted US Citizenship since she didn't pursue moving there. I just want to ask, is she required to fill up a i-864A since they file their taxes jointly, even if she is not a USC and she doesn't live with them in the states?


I asked my father in law why he filed jointly, he said it's because he declared that he is married, and that he has my mom in law as his dependent on his returns. 


Help on this please. Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...