peteagus

Stepchild CR-2, Biological Parent Consent Letter - What should it include?

1 post in this topic

Hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm the petitioner for my wife and two minor age stepsons. Just finished with NVC, and everyone has interviews on April 2! 

Now for the background details:

• We live in Ivory Coast, interviews will be here. 
  • The stepsons have different fathers. 
  • First stepson was born out of wedlock; no custody agreement.
  • Second stepson's father is my wife's ex husband. My wife has custody in the divorce agreement, with visitation and mention of visitation in the event that the parents live abroad. 
  • Neither father lives here. Also, neither lives in a country where either boy holds nationality. So there's no doubt that mom has custody!

The fathers' consent was never requested by NVC, but going through medical visits now, another IV applicant suggested to my wife that we need the fathers' consent at the interview. So, I called the consulate, and they said the same, but refused to offer any specifics as to what that actually looks like. This has caught us rather by surprise, as we've all done a lot of international travel together from here to both EU and US (obviously without the fathers, and even just myself and stepson, mom stayed home). None of us have the same last name, and there's never been any questions from customs entering or leaving anywhere. My wife has also renewed/requested a truckload* of passports with neither father present.

So, we'll get a notarized letter from each father, just to be sure. Both fathers are aware of our plans, and will do whatever needed to document their approval. We all get along fine, so it won't be an issue, but I want to get it right. 

I know the letter should state the identity of the father and son, and that they, the father, are aware of the sons' plans to immigrate with mom, and that they do not contest these plans. But I've got a few questions before we ask the fathers and send them a template. Can you guys help me with the following?

1. Who is this letter is for, and how should it be addressed? ("to whom it may concern", or is it specifically for the Consulate or POE?)
  2. Would it be beneficial to reference of everyone's (mom/dad/kid/mine) ID & passports? 
  3. Should they reference the NVC case numbers?
  4. Is it okay if the original is in another language?**
  5. Anything else to be add, or perhaps a template to share?

TIA, VJ!

*Everyone has multiple passports (wife: 1 EU, 1 Ivory Coast - kids: 2 EU each, 1 Ivory Coast). Only mentioning as I know the consent requirement varies by consulate - it's required here in Ivory Coast, but I don't think it's required for EU applicants. In our case, they are EU immigrants (the petitions and DS260s mention EU passport first, the Ivorian passports are mentioned as additional passports). But since nobody is applying as Ivorian, and neither father is Ivorian, I'm not sure what applies. 

**Both fathers live in Francophone countries, so they could not have an English letter notarized, and we won't have enough time to get it translated before the interviews. But we're also in a Francophone country, so can submit French documents at the interview, and if needed, we get certified translation to bring to POE. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.