Jump to content

Elderly Parent on DS-260

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am helping my wife complete an application for her 77 y/o mother from the Philippines and I am running into some serious snags.  I was hoping someone might have any such experience.  Just for background, I sponsored my wife in 2000, her visa was approved 2001 and she just became a citizen in 2015.


The first issue is the history of addresses required since 16, which makes it since 1957 for her mother. Problem is that she doesn't really remember too well.  We have a rough idea of the city/states, but definitely lacking most of the street address before 1980 with no real concrete dates other than going off of siblings' birth places (luckily there are 9 of them ranging from 1962 to 1983).  Is it going to be an issue if I just put "Unknown" or even just the street but no concrete address?


Issue two, her parents information (my wife's grandparents).  Apparently they did not live close to my mother-in-law and communication is not the greatest, so she has no idea when they died and couldn't even try to guess when they were born.  The records department that held her birth certificate burned down in the 80s, so she can't even get her own birth certificate let alone any records of her parents.  I cannot progress the application unless I put a year of death, but I don't want to throw the whole thing by putting an unknown year in there.  


The third issue, or more so clarification, is under the communicable diseases part.  She was diagnosed with inactive TB some time ago.  Does this count as a communicable disease?  My wife has the same thing and she received her visa just fine, just had to get checked out by the CDC throughout the years to ensure it was inactive.  I honestly don't remember filing it on hers, but that was so long ago I don't remember much except the long wait!


We aren't sure what to do here and with her age, how big of an issue some of this may even become.  


Thanks for any suggestions!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...