ajra06

Elderly Parent on DS-260

1 post in this topic

I am helping my wife complete an application for her 77 y/o mother from the Philippines and I am running into some serious snags.  I was hoping someone might have any such experience.  Just for background, I sponsored my wife in 2000, her visa was approved 2001 and she just became a citizen in 2015.

The first issue is the history of addresses required since 16, which makes it since 1957 for her mother. Problem is that she doesn't really remember too well.  We have a rough idea of the city/states, but definitely lacking most of the street address before 1980 with no real concrete dates other than going off of siblings' birth places (luckily there are 9 of them ranging from 1962 to 1983).  Is it going to be an issue if I just put "Unknown" or even just the street but no concrete address?

Issue two, her parents information (my wife's grandparents).  Apparently they did not live close to my mother-in-law and communication is not the greatest, so she has no idea when they died and couldn't even try to guess when they were born.  The records department that held her birth certificate burned down in the 80s, so she can't even get her own birth certificate let alone any records of her parents.  I cannot progress the application unless I put a year of death, but I don't want to throw the whole thing by putting an unknown year in there.  

The third issue, or more so clarification, is under the communicable diseases part.  She was diagnosed with inactive TB some time ago.  Does this count as a communicable disease?  My wife has the same thing and she received her visa just fine, just had to get checked out by the CDC throughout the years to ensure it was inactive.  I honestly don't remember filing it on hers, but that was so long ago I don't remember much except the long wait!

We aren't sure what to do here and with her age, how big of an issue some of this may even become.  

Thanks for any suggestions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.