featherB

Husband's W-2 shows him as married when he wasn't...

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey Devilette! That's right- the original Montgomery Inn is just a short 5 minute walk from my house! The ribs are unreal!

featherB- Montgomery is north on I-71 at Ronald Reagan Highway. It's close to Kenwood Mall- if you haven't been to that mall you MUST go! The shopping is way better than Fountain Square!

and Trader Joe's s RIGHT THERE in Kenwood too! :thumbs: ooh, and a Fersh Market which has the best (irish) sausages in Cincy.

Fountain Sq isn't even a mall. It sucks, it used to be good before downtown was abandoned for the 'burbs.

Are you living in Cincinnati, Devilette? Your profile says L.A. but you know wayyyy too much about Kenwood not to be from there! If you are, that's really cool!

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Hey Devilette! That's right- the original Montgomery Inn is just a short 5 minute walk from my house! The ribs are unreal!

featherB- Montgomery is north on I-71 at Ronald Reagan Highway. It's close to Kenwood Mall- if you haven't been to that mall you MUST go! The shopping is way better than Fountain Square!

and Trader Joe's s RIGHT THERE in Kenwood too! :thumbs: ooh, and a Fersh Market which has the best (irish) sausages in Cincy.

Fountain Sq isn't even a mall. It sucks, it used to be good before downtown was abandoned for the 'burbs.

Are you living in Cincinnati, Devilette? Your profile says L.A. but you know wayyyy too much about Kenwood not to be from there! If you are, that's really cool!

We had a chat a few weeks ago, as I lived in Cincy (see my siggie) until 3 months ago. Remember, I had no interview for AOS? ;)

Timeline

We had a chat a few weeks ago, as I lived in Cincy (see my siggie) until 3 months ago. Remember, I had no interview for AOS? ;)

Hahahaha, right, I forgot!! I think this AOS process is making me stir crazy!

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Feather - just saw this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69815

Apparently the OP had not filed her return yet & got an RFE for 3 previous years of returns.

FYI! ;)

Eek... thanks for pointing that one out, I bet we're going to be guaranteed an RFE now unless we wait forever between filing the 2006 tax return and the AOS... hmmm, what we have is the transcripts from 2005 and 2004, the 2006 W-2 and a copy of the 2006 tax return that will be sent right before the AOS goes out (ie tomorrow).... we could also send pay stubs if there's any point sending those (although all the pay stubs from March and earlier will have that pesky 'married-when-he-wasn't-married' thing on them, so might be better leaving those out!).... I'd have guessed that they'd RFE & ask for a transcript or something for the 2006 tax return, but that thread you linked makes it sound pretty much guaranteed!

Out of interest (humour a clueless foreigner here!), when people send 'a copy of their tax return for the most recent tax year' (or whatever the exact phrase is) around the end/beginning of the tax year, what is it they send - do they wait to get some kind of confirmation from the IRS that it's been filed, or do they literally send a (photo)copy of the tax return form they're filing with the IRS? :help:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Ahhhhh, now the Montgomery Inn I have heard of, and we must go there veryveryvery soon. Mmmm, ribs!! Have heard only good things about that place... ooohh, and we went to Kenwood Mall (I think that was the place, anyway...) the other weekend, definitely a good place (I got the rather inappropriately black dress I wore when we got married there, after despairing of the stuff I saw everywhere else!)... my husband only knows Cincy marginally better than I do (ie hardly at all) 'cos he moved down here from Columbus a couple of months after we filed our I-129F - there is much exploring to be done! :)

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

I can only suggest that you send in a letter accompanying the W-2s explaining the problem and maybe a copy of the divorce decree to prove he was divorced. Confirm that his employers were informed about it, but didn't actually change anything until recently.

It might save you getting any additional complications. Better to be over prepared!

Thanks, Mags... have to say that (being over-prepared and sending some kind of explanatory letter) was my first thought, despite the usual advice to only give information when you're asked for it, not volunteer what you're not asked for, etc etc etc! Ugh, stupid payroll people and their five-years-out-of-date info. :angry: I'm hoping (after finding out that the huge sheet I was looking at earlier is actually 4 W-2s attached together with an extra bit that seems to be just for the employee's records only..... although who knows, I am confused!) that we won't need to send the bit that says 'married' on it, and that as he definitely hasn't been filing taxes as married (due to not being married, and all that), it *shouldn't* be a problem... but then what if it *is* a problem? As people are always saying around here when someone posts about wanting to have a marriage ceremony before using their K-1, 'proving you're not married is a lot harder than proving you are' - so whatever happens, I'm guaranteed to be fretting for months about some RFE asking us to prove that C. hasn't been married for the past 5 years or something.

Gaaaaaahhh!!!

.... aaaand breathe!....

:wacko:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Hehee, at the risk of sending my own thread waaaaaay off topic here (apologies to anyone reading for AOS-related reasons, but sausages and shopping are very important matters, y'know!), I have to say: THERE'S A TRADER JOE'S HERE??? Yay! I didn't know that... went to one years ago in LA and it seemed a damned good place. As for Fountain Square... yeah, we live about 2 mins walk from that place, and unless TJ Maxx is your thing, then... yup, it sucks! Seems a shame - looks like it was a nice place once.... :(

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

do they literally send a (photo)copy of the tax return form they're filing with the IRS? :help:

:yes:

I never thought the 2 agenices 'talked' but apparently they do. File taxes ASAP & file AOS - wait for an RFE.

THERE'S A TRADER JOE'S HERE???

and unless TJ Maxx is your thing,

I do like that TJ Maxx tho.

Trader Joes

7788 Montgomery Road

Cincinnati, OH 45236

Trading Hours: 9 am – 9 pm

Phone: 513-984-3452

Ahhhhh, now the Montgomery Inn I have heard of, and we must go there veryveryvery soon. Mmmm, ribs!! Have heard only good things about that place... \

:secret:

Get the onion straws and/or shrimp!

There's alos Montgomery Inn Boathouse, on the river, very fun in the summer!

do they literally send a (photo)copy of the tax return form they're filing with the IRS? :help:

I never thought the 2 agenices 'talked' but apparently they do. File taxes ASAP & file AOS - wait for an RFE.

Aha - thank you. Have just assembled the vast envelopeful of AOS stuff, and (once I've legged it over to Kinko's to take a copy of the whole lot) it will be in the post today - yay! (Well, 'yay' other than fully expecting an RFE, that is!) Tax return will be in the post hot on its heels, so unless the tax people are even slower than USCIS (surely not?) they should at least have it on record that it's been filed by the time anyone gets round to looking at the AOS stuff. Thank you (again) - will be very relieved to get it all sent off! :thumbs:

(Had to delete the last bit 'cos I buggered up the quoting - lately the quote feature is behaving very strangely, or maybe it's just me... but anyway, thanks for the info on Trader Joe's... and I've just realised the Montgomery Inn boathouse was the one I've heard of - didn't realise that wasn't 'the' Montgomery Inn... either way, mmmm, I think we will be going there very soon! :yes: )

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline

Aha - thank you. Have just assembled the vast envelopeful of AOS stuff, and (once I've legged it over to Kinko's to take a copy of the whole lot) it will be in the post today - yay! (Well, 'yay' other than fully expecting an RFE, that is!) Tax return will be in the post hot on its heels, so unless the tax people are even slower than USCIS (surely not?) they should at least have it on record that it's been filed by the time anyone gets round to looking at the AOS stuff. Thank you (again) - will be very relieved to get it all sent off! :thumbs:

(Had to delete the last bit 'cos I buggered up the quoting - lately the quote feature is behaving very strangely, or maybe it's just me... but anyway, thanks for the info on Trader Joe's... and I've just realised the Montgomery Inn boathouse was the one I've heard of - didn't realise that wasn't 'the' Montgomery Inn... either way, mmmm, I think we will be going there very soon! :yes: )

Excellent! I've been to both The Boathouse and the original Montgomery Inn...I like the atmosphere of The Boathouse better, and it's really nice along the river. You could probably walk there if you live downtown! I hope you enjoy it!

Good luck with your AOS, I am sure all will be fine. Just make sure you send copies of every 1099, 1098, W2 and other piece of support that played a role in the tax return. If you miss even the smallest slip of paper (i.e. tuition statement, bank account interest income, whatever), they will RFE you. Thank God my husband is an accountant and he caught that before he sent it off!

:)

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

Excellent! I've been to both The Boathouse and the original Montgomery Inn...I like the atmosphere of The Boathouse better, and it's really nice along the river. You could probably walk there if you live downtown! I hope you enjoy it!

Hmm, good idea - lovely weather for walking right now and the more walking we do beforehand, the more ribs we get to eat, right?! :lol:

Good luck with your AOS, I am sure all will be fine. Just make sure you send copies of every 1099, 1098, W2 and other piece of support that played a role in the tax return. If you miss even the smallest slip of paper (i.e. tuition statement, bank account interest income, whatever), they will RFE you. Thank God my husband is an accountant and he caught that before he sent it off!

Thank you! :) Hmm, the only thing I have to send is a W-2, but I'm guessing/hoping that none of those other things come into it because there's nothing on the tax return apart from my husband's salary - he hasn't got any savings to bring in any bank account interest, soooo... ugh, I hope it will be okay. I did ask him about the other things mentioned on the I-864 instructions, but he doesn't seem to even know what they are! So it's just this year's tax return, the 2006 W-2, and the previous two years' tax transcripts... fingers crossed! :unsure:

I will stop babbling endlessly about this now, I promise!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline

Hmm, good idea - lovely weather for walking right now and the more walking we do beforehand, the more ribs we get to eat, right?! :lol:

Thank you! :) Hmm, the only thing I have to send is a W-2, but I'm guessing/hoping that none of those other things come into it because there's nothing on the tax return apart from my husband's salary - he hasn't got any savings to bring in any bank account interest, soooo... ugh, I hope it will be okay. I did ask him about the other things mentioned on the I-864 instructions, but he doesn't seem to even know what they are! So it's just this year's tax return, the 2006 W-2, and the previous two years' tax transcripts... fingers crossed! :unsure:

I will stop babbling endlessly about this now, I promise!

There's no such thing as babbling about AOS- it's better to be safe than sorry! It sounds like you have a good handle on things. Be sure to link up with the 'May Filers' thread to track the timelines of others who have filed this month.

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

W2's do not show marital status.

W-2s are highly variable, each job I have worked gave me one that looked different, you cannot make this statement IMHO. Perhaps his W-2 does have that on it.

Thats said as long as he didn't claim to be married on his 2006 tax return I don't see that there will be an issue.

featherB,

No big deal - one can declare to their employer pretty much whatever they want for their tax status in order to get the tax withholding taken from their salary to match the amount of tax they expect to owe come the end of the year. Their claimed marital status for tax withholding purposes does not have to be their correct marital status.

Yodrak

Hello all...

Sooo... I'm here, we're married, and we're just about ready to send off all the AOS stuff. I've just spotted something though, and am wondering if it might be a problem. My now-husband's employers still had him on their payroll system as married until recently, even though he got divorced five years ago. He never looks at his paystubs or anything, so didn't realise this until he printed a load of them out for me to take to my K-1 interview, and I noticed it said 'married' - his payroll dept. have since corrected it on the system (and have told him it makes no difference to anything), but his 2006 W-2 that we're going to send with the I-864 clearly says 'Taxable Marital Status: Married' on it. Of course, he is married now, but only as of last week!

Will this be a problem? Should we send some kind of explanation, or would that be more likely to invite trouble than avoid it? I was worried that it might be questioned at my visa interview if the CO spotted 'married' on his paystubs, and had a copy of an email exchange between him and his payroll dept. sorting out the error, in case they asked... but in the end, they didn't even look at the paystubs, let alone ask about it! If they had, though, at least I would have been able to explain on the spot... something I obviously can't do with AOS paperwork that we're sending to USCIS! So... to send an explanation, or to ignore it? I don't know, maybe this kind of thing is quite usual and I am (as ever) finding something to worry about unnecessarily - but I would like to avoid an RFE if possible!! So any thoughts would be appreciated...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.