Jump to content

Foreign Adopted Child of US Citizen Parents

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dear All,


We have adopted a baby from overseas. As per the law of that foreign country, they only allow guardianship of kids and hence, as per legal requirement in USA, we got his final re-adoption decree from court in US and his US birth certificate.


He has been issued perm resident card. Now, my question is considering he is now our child legally, do we need to apply for his certificate of citizenship? A family here in USA, who also adopted a baby from overseas, mentioned that we don't necessarily have to acquire his citizenship certificate because the final re-adoption decree from US court is proof of his citizenship and is recognized by passport agency as one of the acceptable forms of evidence along with US birth certificate and therefore, the child can get a US passport based on that. Can anyone advise on this? Not to mention the fee to apply for certificate of citizenship is $1170 which is quite an amount.


If we don't get certificate of citizenship for our child, is that going to cause any issues in future for him and us? Please advise. Thanks a bunch.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.