Rubycon

London medical at Bentinck Mansions

6 posts in this topic

Hello all. I'm sure there are now plenty of descriptions of what happens at your medical in London, but I just thought I'd give you the heads up on my experience from a couple of days ago.

I was able to book my medical for a specific day and time (Wednesday, 3:30pm), which is handy for those of us for whom its difficult to get time off work. I was given an appointment at the Bentinck Mansions practise. I booked the train from Birmingham well in advance so I got cheap tickets on Virgin. I allowed two hours each side of the appointment when booking. This turned out to be plenty (too much) time.

The practise is easy to find - a 5/10 minute walk from Bond Street tube station. The map given in the mailing that the London embassy sent out wasn't too clear, so I printed out my own version from Google Maps using the postcode given - this was more then sufficient to find the practise, and I'm a bit scatty when it comes to directions.

You'll know when you're in the right area, as Jags, BMWs, and Mercs abound(!)

I arrived in London with loads of time to spare, so I wandered around Oxford street for a bit. By the time I got to Bentinck Mansions I was seriously over-caffeinated.

Upon arriving I handed over my documentation (passport, immunisation record, etc.) to the receptionist and was directed to the waiting room. After a few minutes I was asked to fill in some paperwork: the first was basically a duplicate of the medical questionnaire supplied in the embassy mailing plus a few extra tick boxes, and a declaration to say that I understood the implications of having an HIV test (scary).

The couple of other people in the waiting room looked a little grumpy - all men, so we did the man thing of avoiding eye contact and pretending we were all looking forward to being poked and prodded on behalf of the US goverment. Yeah right.

After a couple of minutes I was called by a nurse to discuss my immunisations. My records consisted of a print out from my local surgery of my official records, and a school medical record card, as the latter detailed some jabs not listed in the official record (boarding school). I explained that I was allergic to one of the necessary jabs (hence I had not had it since I was about 5/6 years old). The nurse said that this would not be a problem, and noted it down. I needed a MMR booster, and I volunteered to have it done right there (£30) for the sake of having all the paperwork in order. All done in five minutes, and then it was back to the waiting room.

Next, I was called for my chest X-ray. The radiographer was very nice and the X-ray only took five minutes. Back to the waiting room.

The other men were there again, clutching their blood test arms, but we still did the man thing of avoiding eye contact.

Lastly, I was called for my physical inspection. The doctor was very nice, and put me at ease right away. She verified some of my answers from the questionnaire, then had me read from an eye chart. Easy. Then I had my physical - genitals looked at (just a very brief look, not the cough test guys!), throat inspected, and general skin condition assessed. I had my blood pressure taken (normal, amazing given the amount of coffee I'd had) and then the blood test (done very well, no bruise!). As I have a history of asthma I had to do a peak flow test (blow down the tube) - no sweat as I play tuba. I must have looked worried, as the doctor told me not to worry, that I had passed the physical. I said that any form with the USCIS insignia on made me look worried.

Then that was pretty much it. I got all of my paperwork back, including a reciept for the MMR jab and a copy of the official immunisation record for the visa. The whole appoinment only lasted about 40 minutes (I think I was the last one of the day) - it started bang on time, too. Note that they now charge VAT on top of the quoted price (I was informed of this over the phone when I booked the appointment). What? You were expecting something to be CHEAP in the visa process?!

All the staff at Bentinck Mansions were polite, friendly and professional, and put me at ease right away. Thankyou folks, you made a stressful medical a lot easier!

Hope this info helps! Don't worry, I was all worked up about it and it wasn't nearly as bad as all that.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Heh! The "man thing"!

Thanks for the info!

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Here's my experience in case it helps anyone. Mine was at the Basil Mansions practice, just near Harrods.

It involved reading a lot of magazines while I waited in waiting rooms.

The receptionist took my forms, photo, vaccination record etc.

A nurse called me through and said 'Right let's give you your MMR.' I protested 'But I've had my MMR!' Turned out the receptionist hadn't read my vaccination record correctly when she transcribed it onto my form. So no MMR for me, and a very apologetic nurse.

Back to the waiting room, then later to another waiting room.

Taken into an X-ray room where I changed into a gown, and had my hair twisted out of the way into a clip, and a doctor was very chatty to me. Did the X-ray then back to the waiting room.

In the waiting room was a family with four kids, really struggling, having injections and X-rays and everything. They all got seen before me, so I had quite a wait. I didn't mind - I was just grateful I hadn't had to take my three little kids with me.

Eventually called through to a really nice female doctor who apologised for the wait. Went through my form, talked about my years ago episode of depression/panic attacks, talked about contraceptives briefly. Then she examined me... listened to heart, breathing... looked in ears... felt throat... breast check... felt my tummy... quickest look ever 'down below'... tested my eyesight... looked at my spine and said I should get a couple of moles looked at. All very non-threatening. Took some blood while I was lying down.

Everyone seemed very interested in why I was moving to America, how many kids I have, and how bonkers I am to be sending my husband out to the US before me, leaving me here with the children (and of course they were all correct lol).

Then she said I could get dressed again, and said my results would be sent straight to the Embassy but that they looked fine so far.

Went into another room to pay by Mastercard, then I was out of there. Whole thing took less than two hours despite waiting for the family to be seen before me.

Then I went to Harrods and had a lovely time for a while till I got The Fear and escaped quick. Had a wander round London then took the train home.

Pretty expensive day out when you add up the train tickets, lunch, tea, and medical fee, but at least I didn't spend anything in Harrods...

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Just to add a couple of other things... I wasn't charged VAT on top of the quoted price. I went on 30th April ie the day before the price went up, and I was charged £170...

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Hello all. I'm sure there are now plenty of descriptions of what happens at your medical in London, but I just thought I'd give you the heads up on my experience from a couple of days ago.

I was able to book my medical for a specific day and time (Wednesday, 3:30pm), which is handy for those of us for whom its difficult to get time off work. I was given an appointment at the Bentinck Mansions practise. I booked the train from Birmingham well in advance so I got cheap tickets on Virgin. I allowed two hours each side of the appointment when booking. This turned out to be plenty (too much) time.

The practise is easy to find - a 5/10 minute walk from Bond Street tube station. The map given in the mailing that the London embassy sent out wasn't too clear, so I printed out my own version from Google Maps using the postcode given - this was more then sufficient to find the practise, and I'm a bit scatty when it comes to directions.

You'll know when you're in the right area, as Jags, BMWs, and Mercs abound(!)

I arrived in London with loads of time to spare, so I wandered around Oxford street for a bit. By the time I got to Bentinck Mansions I was seriously over-caffeinated.

Upon arriving I handed over my documentation (passport, immunisation record, etc.) to the receptionist and was directed to the waiting room. After a few minutes I was asked to fill in some paperwork: the first was basically a duplicate of the medical questionnaire supplied in the embassy mailing plus a few extra tick boxes, and a declaration to say that I understood the implications of having an HIV test (scary).

The couple of other people in the waiting room looked a little grumpy - all men, so we did the man thing of avoiding eye contact and pretending we were all looking forward to being poked and prodded on behalf of the US goverment. Yeah right.

After a couple of minutes I was called by a nurse to discuss my immunisations. My records consisted of a print out from my local surgery of my official records, and a school medical record card, as the latter detailed some jabs not listed in the official record (boarding school). I explained that I was allergic to one of the necessary jabs (hence I had not had it since I was about 5/6 years old). The nurse said that this would not be a problem, and noted it down. I needed a MMR booster, and I volunteered to have it done right there (£30) for the sake of having all the paperwork in order. All done in five minutes, and then it was back to the waiting room.

Next, I was called for my chest X-ray. The radiographer was very nice and the X-ray only took five minutes. Back to the waiting room.

The other men were there again, clutching their blood test arms, but we still did the man thing of avoiding eye contact.

Lastly, I was called for my physical inspection. The doctor was very nice, and put me at ease right away. She verified some of my answers from the questionnaire, then had me read from an eye chart. Easy. Then I had my physical - genitals looked at (just a very brief look, not the cough test guys!), throat inspected, and general skin condition assessed. I had my blood pressure taken (normal, amazing given the amount of coffee I'd had) and then the blood test (done very well, no bruise!). As I have a history of asthma I had to do a peak flow test (blow down the tube) - no sweat as I play tuba. I must have looked worried, as the doctor told me not to worry, that I had passed the physical. I said that any form with the USCIS insignia on made me look worried.

Then that was pretty much it. I got all of my paperwork back, including a reciept for the MMR jab and a copy of the official immunisation record for the visa. The whole appoinment only lasted about 40 minutes (I think I was the last one of the day) - it started bang on time, too. Note that they now charge VAT on top of the quoted price (I was informed of this over the phone when I booked the appointment). What? You were expecting something to be CHEAP in the visa process?!

All the staff at Bentinck Mansions were polite, friendly and professional, and put me at ease right away. Thankyou folks, you made a stressful medical a lot easier!

Hope this info helps! Don't worry, I was all worked up about it and it wasn't nearly as bad as all that.

Got mine in three weeks, thanks for the heads up :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.