RamirezUSA

New AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT Form

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I am the Petitioner and had my joint sponsor for my husband fill out the Affidavit of Support in February. This form was still in use although the expiration was 07/31/2017.

Now that I am filling mine out (Visa appoint in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico on Monday, July 2nd) I see that there is a new form! I have no way to get the joint sponsor to fill out and sign a new form - unless it were scanned and sent digitally. 

Will they accept an expired form? This worries me! When was the new form issued?

4 hours ago, RamirezUSA said:

Hi, I am the Petitioner and had my joint sponsor for my husband fill out the Affidavit of Support in February. This form was still in use although the expiration was 07/31/2017.

Now that I am filling mine out (Visa appoint in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico on Monday, July 2nd) I see that there is a new form! I have no way to get the joint sponsor to fill out and sign a new form - unless it were scanned and sent digitally. 

Will they accept an expired form? This worries me! When was the new form issued?

Not expired, But new signed & scanned affidavit of support form acceptable.

IR-1 - Nebraska Service Center - Embassy - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

• 08/08/2017 - Sent I-130 Application
  • 08/11/2017 - I-130 Accepted
  • 08/11/2017 -  NOA-1 via Email
  • 02/28/2018 - I-130 Approved
  • 03/06/2018 - Case Sent to NVC
  • 03/14/2018 - Package Received By NVC
  • 04/21/2018 - Case Assigned & Invoice ID
  • 04/24/2018 - Filed DS 261
  • 04/26/2018 - Welcome Letter Received
  • 04/30/2018 - AOS fee status - PAID
  • 05/01/2018 - IV fee status - PAID
  • 05/02/2018 - Completed DS-260
  • 05/07/2018 - Documents Mailed to NVC
  • 05/10/2018 - NVC Received Documents ( SD )
  • 05/15/2018 - Case Completed - ( CC )
  • 06/01/2018 - Interview Schedule For 07/08/2018
  • 07/08/2018 - VISA APPROVED

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

Yes, the new form is acceptable, but will old form be accepted?

The USCIS Website states as follows:

Edition Date: 03/06/18. Starting 05/16/2018, we will only accept the 03/06/18 edition. Until then, you can use previous editions. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.Updated similarly are Forms I-864A, I-864EZ and I-864W

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-updates?topic_id=0&ftopics_tid=0&page=1

I believe someone on here posted their own experience with the expired form being presented at the CDJ Consulate. During the interview, the CO suspended the approval pending the most recent form being submitted. That caused me to look at my own form, and realized that I had to redo the form. It took 10 minutes.

Thank you for your response, @ItsSunny2Day and reference to previous post. Right, obviously I need the joint sponsor to quickly fill out the new form. The problem is it is impossible to see her before the visa appointment on Monday, July 2 (in 2 days). I am having her send me a scanned, signed copy - but I have a feeling this is not acceptable. 

Would they accept a scanned copy of I-864?

What does "suspend the approval pending" mean exactly and what happens in these cases?

1 hour ago, RamirezUSA said:

Thank you for your response, @ItsSunny2Day and reference to previous post. Right, obviously I need the joint sponsor to quickly fill out the new form. The problem is it is impossible to see her before the visa appointment on Monday, July 2 (in 2 days). I am having her send me a scanned, signed copy - but I have a feeling this is not acceptable. 

Would they accept a scanned copy of I-864?

What does "suspend the approval pending" mean exactly and what happens in these cases?

I think you're right about a scanned copy not being acceptable. The I864 instructions do mention submitting photocopies of the form, but only when sponsoring multiple immigrants. I'm assuming you would still need to present the original for the primary immigrant, and then a photocopy for every other immigrant, so this doesn't apply to you. Here's the relevant section:

You may submit photocopies if you are sponsoring more than one intending immigrant listed on the same affidavit of support.

If you are sponsoring such dependents, you only need to provide a photocopy of the original Form I-864, as long as these dependents are immigrating at the same time as the principal immigrant or within six months of the time he or she immigrates to the United States.

As far as suspending the approval, this means that if the interview goes well then you'll be approved pending the submission of the missing documents. This happens somewhat frequently as people regularly omit or incorrectly fill out documents. They basically say "your visa is approved as long as you send us the I864 within X amount of days. If it checks out then we'll officially approve you at that time"

Edited by Jorge V

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Consider using FedEX/DHL, overnight delivery to a El Paso, Texas address. If you don't have anyone you know in El Paso, choose a FedEx/Kinkos location nearest the border crossing. Be sure to address the label:

<name of business>
c/o Customer <name of person with ID picking up the envelope>

<address of business location>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.